View Poll Results: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Its great fun, and sometimes challenging

    9 5.45%
  • No - But I would like to give it a try!

    40 24.24%
  • Yes - And I also got the food from the kills

    31 18.79%
  • I support PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

    20 12.12%
  • No, I wouldn't want to try it

    65 39.39%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The Patient Someudontno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Virginia, United States
    Posts
    236
    I don't personally hunt, nor do I wish to. I do eat animals, however. I admire those who have adopted vegan diets and such, and those who defend animal rights, but there is a concept called overpopulation. Living in a somewhat rural area, deer overpopulation is a major issue. In fact, if we didn't have avid hunters and the like living among us, driving down back roads and such would prove immensely hazardous to both ourselves and the deer. I want the animals to live a good life, but I also have to worry about the safety of myself and my family.

  2. #42
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Ive been hunting for almost 25 years. . . Dove, Duck, Goose, Boar, and Deer.

    There is nothing wrong with hunting.
    Yes there is. You're killing for fun. You are inflicting pain on something because it gives you a giddy thrill.

  3. #43
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadoweye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In the box behind you
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    So every hunter hikes up and down a mountain to hunt? Way to bullshit the truth to support your bullshit facts. When a 60 year old fat redneck can sit in a blind with a high powered rifle at known animal crossings, bait stations etc and kill an animal I don't consider that as "taking more" than a trained, in shape athlete taking a beating on a field.

    Lets see you do it without all the fancy gear, camo and weapons. 99% of the so called hunters wouldn't last five minutes without their scoped rifle and bottle of deer piss.



    Fact: Prehistoric man ate far less meat than we do today. Want meat? Go to a supermarket and buy some that's already been slaughtered. Hunting for food is obsolete in this society. Enough animals suffer in some pretty poor conditions so you can have access to fresh meat.

    And no - I'm not a veg head.
    Every hunter? no, but then again, i did a lot of my hunting in Wyoming, western south dakota, and Montana. there are mountains out there if you didnt know. Alot of wilderness area that you can not do anything but pack in via horse. You can see hunting how you want, but its a distorted view as you have likely never been. As for weapons... god forbid we use things that have been giving hunters a way to kill and not maim... things that have been used since the invention of better weapons.

    As for your prehistoric man comment.... you know the neanderthal ate roughly 6-8k calories a day??? 90% of that diet was meat... fun fact huh.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Yes there is. You're killing for fun. You are inflicting pain on something because it gives you a giddy thrill.
    Most hunters go for a single kill shot to avoid that. You know this, yes?

  5. #45
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Most hunters go for a single kill shot to avoid that. You know this, yes?
    I'm sure that is a comforting thought to the Deer that got shot through the heart.

  6. #46
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadoweye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In the box behind you
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Most hunters go for a single kill shot to avoid that. You know this, yes?
    They dont understand it... they never will.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

  7. #47
    Mechagnome BlahBlahFrigginBlah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Deep inside the power core.
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Yes there is. You're killing for fun. You are inflicting pain on something because it gives you a giddy thrill.
    tread carefully my friend, Troll season officially opened yesterday...

  8. #48
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,195
    To answer the question: No, I haven't.

    Hunting for sport sounds a bit barbaric to me, why would you want to kill anything "just because"?.
    If you have a reason for hunting then I have no problems with it. For example; Here in Finland we have elk (moose) hunting time in the autumn, elk are major traffic hazards and thus the elk population needs to be kept at a certain point.

  9. #49
    Herald of the Titans Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Yes there is. You're killing for fun. You are inflicting pain on something because it gives you a giddy thrill.
    No, your wrong. Maybe you should have quoted everything I said.

    Eating great tasting food has nothing to do with a "giddy thrill". Sorry buddy, put the PETA Nation magazine down for 10 seconds and listen to how insane you sound.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I'm sure that is a comforting thought to the Deer that got shot through the heart.
    I'm pretty sure it's not thinking anything. Because it's dead.

  11. #51
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    They dont understand it... they never will.
    What is there to understand? You kill animals because you think it's fun. You can try to justify it by saying "well I ate it!" but at the end of the day you could have just bought some meat from the grocery store.

    It is unnecessary in our society. It's just people killing for the sake of killing.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:36 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    No, your wrong. Maybe you should have quoted everything I said.

    Eating great tasting food has nothing to do with a "giddy thrill". Sorry buddy, put the PETA Nation magazine down for 10 seconds and listen to how insane you sound.
    You can buy most of the animals you listed from grocery stores.

  12. #52
    Herald of the Titans Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    What is there to understand? You kill animals because you think it's fun. You can try to justify it by saying "well I ate it!" but at the end of the day you could have just bought some meat from the grocery store.

    It is unnecessary in our society. It's just people killing for the sake of killing.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:36 AM ----------



    You can buy most of the animals you listed from grocery stores.
    No you cannot. You cannot purchase dove that strictly feed on Maize at the grocery store. Im done talking to you. Get off the PETA wagon and maybe someone will take you seriously.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    You can buy most of the animals you listed from grocery stores.
    So you're saying that hunters should give it up because they can go buy a pack of venison at the Supermarket. So...killing a wild animal is cruel and unusual. Farm animals however are fair game?

  14. #54
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadoweye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In the box behind you
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    What is there to understand? You kill animals because you think it's fun. You can try to justify it by saying "well I ate it!" but at the end of the day you could have just bought some meat from the grocery store.

    It is unnecessary in our society. It's just people killing for the sake of killing.
    I dont think killing is fun, i dont get a thrill from killing... i get my thrill from stalking my prey, getting intouch with the roots of my ancestors. As for buying meat from the store... i dont want that feed lot meat. Next youre going to say im a horrible person because i get my chickens from my aunt and uncles farm for free.... just because there is a "store" for meat, doesnt mean you have to drink the kool-ade and think its the only sane option.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

  15. #55
    Dreadlord The Casualty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    What is there to understand? You kill animals because you think it's fun. You can try to justify it by saying "well I ate it!" but at the end of the day you could have just bought some meat from the grocery store.

    It is unnecessary in our society. It's just people killing for the sake of killing.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:36 AM ----------



    You can buy most of the animals you listed from grocery stores.
    Buying meat from a grocery store doesn't absolve you from the animal's death, it just makes it easier to swallow (Puns, HAH). If you want to be a vegan who abhors the death of any living creature, so be it, I may not agree, but I can respect it. You aren't saying that though. Your point is far more contradictory.

  16. #56
    My fiancee hunts with this:

    Your argument is invalid.

  17. #57
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadoweye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In the box behind you
    Posts
    1,157
    I thought about getting a falconry license.... them birds are expensive upkeep though
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

  18. #58
    Stood in the Fire Joben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    475
    I hunt mainly for food. Free protein source for me. I prefer venison to beef and I do enjoy hunting because we own 300 acres and I go with family and get to bond, I wouldnt even have to kill anything to enjoy it(in fact, sometimes I dont)
    Survival is Key

  19. #59
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    No you cannot. You cannot purchase dove that strictly feed on Maize at the grocery store. Im done talking to you. Get off the PETA wagon and maybe someone will take you seriously.
    This has nothing about the ethical treatment of animals, it has everything to do with causing harm where harm is can be avoided. But do continue to use that strawman.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:45 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    So you're saying that hunters should give it up because they can go buy a pack of venison at the Supermarket. So...killing a wild animal is cruel and unusual. Farm animals however are fair game?
    There is a difference between raising a animal whose sole purpose is to be eaten and a wild animal. The cows death is necessary, the bears death is not.

  20. #60
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadoweye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In the box behind you
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    This has nothing about the ethical treatment of animals, it has everything to do with causing harm where harm is can be avoided. But do continue to use that strawman.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:45 AM ----------



    There is a difference between raising a animal whose sole purpose is to be eaten and a wild animal. The cows death is necessary, the bears death is not.
    And if that bear is threatening livestock or human, because of overpopulation of the bear that is encroaching on farmers land or getting in to small towns.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •