Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The deer in the forest had a much nicer life than the pig on the farm. Everything dies. Not everything truly lives.

And honestly, if you're not a veghead, then you're really missing a salient point. If you eat meat at all and have a conscience with regards to the food you eat, you understand the fundamental concept around which food-consciousness is based - that the closer you are to your meal, the more you appreciate it.

That's the true basis for legit locavorism. The true basis for free range. The true basis for rooftop gardening. And while it's an esoteric point, any hunter who's ever cleaned his own kill can explain it in full detail. Any hunter who's spent dozens of hours in cold, wet, murky conditions and a few more for each kill to butcher and clean the animal - that guy is far closer to his food than you are.

It's not a sport for many. It's ritual that reminds us in all its gory detail, exactly what is involved in a meat meal. It is the confrontation of the reality of life and death. And it really strikes me as kinda ignorant to claim that supermarket meat should be good enough. That modern civilization should abandon its rituals that remind us of the brutality and fragility and sacredness of a single meal. Of the sacrifices involved. That we should continue to view animals through the lens of factory farming and butchering and leave the gory detail to plebes making $7.50 an hour at the Tyson plant. And who think that we should continue to reinforce this industry by turning away from hunting and labelling it barbaric.

If that doesn't cause you guys who hate on hunters to pause and think a bit, I'm not sure what will - so I'll just say you don't get it. You won't get it. Unless you give it a try.
    Last edited by Stede; 2012-11-05 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    This has nothing about the ethical treatment of animals, it has everything to do with causing harm where harm is can be avoided. But do continue to use that strawman.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:45 AM ----------

There is a difference between raising a animal whose sole purpose is to be eaten and a wild animal. The cows death is necessary, the bears death is not.
    The difference is primarily arbitrary, aside from the animals raised for slaughter are often living in substandard situations.

In neither situation is the death "necessary" as in, we can live without the death of animals. Is it practical or unethical for the world to do without? I suppose that depends on who you ask, but if it is okay to kill one, than it must be okay to kill the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigrun33 View Post
    Buying meat from a grocery store doesn't absolve you from the animal's death, it just makes it easier to swallow (Puns, HAH). If you want to be a vegan who abhors the death of any living creature, so be it, I may not agree, but I can respect it. You aren't saying that though. Your point is far more contradictory.
    Again, I don't care about the treatment of animals, I understand that hunting is necessary in some places and am okay with it. Hunting in our society however, is not. You kill things because you have too, not because you want to.

There is a difference between raising a animal whose sole purpose is to be eaten and a wild animal. The cows death is necessary, the bears death is not.
    So you're a raging hypocrite. Got it.

Deleted
    I hunt with the intention of eating and utilising what I kill.

Okay, but none of that makes hunting justified or necessary for you to live.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:49 AM ----------

First, we are encroaching on the bears land. Second, they invented animal control for a reason. Tranq dart, relocated. I understand though, that option doesn't sate your bloodlust.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:50 AM ----------

Forming a bond around death and killing. Sounds healthy.
    It is necessary when its my primary protein source. Not to mention all the essential fats and amino acids, and other nutrients that the meat gives me. And your second statement shows where your heart lies... animals are more important to you than your fellow man. As for darts and relocation, its a temporary fix as the animals regularly come back... but getting more indepth with it... what about animal populations that become to over grown and out of control that the environment can not sustain them, would you rather the population starve off and die? Or would you rather hunter go in, take from the land and allow the rest of the population to live on??? So what are you for, complete suffering of the herd, or the death of a few to serve a greater purpose for the many?
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Again, it has nothing to do with the ethical treatment or killing of animals. It is about necessity and purpose. Our society loves meat, ergo we use cows to fulfill this need. Their purpose is to provide us with a source of meat. Their death is necessary because without that source of meat people will seek out different sources. Cows make our lives easier. Do I agree with it? No, but I understand the necessity of it.

Killing a deer, boar, bear or what have you is not necessary, it is vanity. Pure and simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats pretty much how I understood it too.

Have you ever SEEN how animals are raised in captivity, at least in the wild they live a healthy normal life.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 08:00 PM ----------

Again, it has nothing to do with the ethical treatment or killing of animals. It is about necessity and purpose. Our society loves meat, ergo we use cows to fulfill this need. Their purpose is to provide us with a source of meat. Their death is necessary because without that source of meat people will seek out different sources. Cows make our lives easier. Do I agree with it? No, but I understand the necessity of it.

Killing a deer, boar, bear or what have you is not necessary, it is vanity. Pure and simple.
    What if you're of religion that doesn't allow eating of sacred cows? But require the nutrients in red meat?
    Survival is Key

Quote Originally Posted by Joben View Post

Have you ever SEEN how animals are raised in captivity, at least in the wild they live a healthy normal life.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 08:00 PM ----------

What if you're of religion that doesn't allow eating of sacred cows? But require the nutrients in red meat?

off topic here.... but i see the oklahoma loc... and all i think about is how many times i went duck hunting at dirtybird....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    It is necessary when its my primary protein source. Not to mention all the essential fats and amino acids, and other nutrients that the meat gives me.
    That's why we have grocery stores.

And your second statement shows where your heart lies... animals are more important to you than your fellow man. As for darts and relocation, its a temporary fix as the animals regularly come back... but getting more indepth with it... what about animal populations that become to over grown and out of control that the environment can not sustain them, would you rather the population starve off and die? Or would you rather hunter go in, take from the land and allow the rest of the population to live on??? So what are you for, complete suffering of the herd, or the death of a few to serve a greater purpose for the many?
    Ridiculous, I value another human being far more than a bear. And no, often times the animals don't come back, it's just a shame too many people take the easy route and shoot it because "I'm a hunter yeehaw!"

A cull is necessary for the well being of the ecosystem, so yes I would support it.

What does the source matter to you then? If it's not about ethics.

Some people prefer to eat wild meat because it's not been sprayed with hormones and other bullshit like pre-packaged store meat. Some people just flat out can't afford it.

10+ Year Old Account

In their society it is necessary, in ours it is not.

Apples to oranges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poll has been updated

10+ Year Old Account
    What does the source matter to you then? If it's not about ethics.

Some people prefer to eat wild meat because it's not been sprayed with hormones and other bullshit like pre-packaged store meat. Some people just flat out can't afford it.
    If they cannot afford it, then it is necessary for them to hunt, no?

But we are talking about sport hunting in this thread, Sport hunting is vanity, it is unnecessary and abhorrent.

So they are excluded from your "society?"

Why not just say what you actually mean. You don't want to do it and you think that nobody else should either. Stop being passive aggressive.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-11-05 at 08:11 PM.

I don't hunt, but my Dad does. He tried to get me into it, but I couldn't be bothered to hike up and down the hills of southern Ohio in the cold after getting up at 3 AM.

My father hunts as a hobby. Takes trophies from his kills (mostly antlers), but also pays to have the carcass processed. He takes a portion of it and donates what he doesn't think will get used between him and my mother. So he gets to enjoy his hobby, gets meat for his family, and meat for other families that might not be able to afford it otherwise. Everything gets used, so all this talk of wildlife dying a pointless death for entertainment is just silly. If hunters weren't doing their thing, population would spiral out of control and animals would just end up dying off anyway.

10+ Year Old Account

But we are talking about sport hunting in this thread, Sport hunting is vanity, it is unnecessary and abhorrent.
    Let's assume all hunting of wild game stopped and it wasn't a sport. After a while there would be an abundance of deer or boar (for my location) they would then be competing for your precious grocery grazing fields, be a danger to humans as competitiveness for food would lure them into high population areas increasing traffic fatalities. These things are factual, tried and tested.
    Survival is Key

10+ Year Old Account
    So they are excluded from your "society?"

Why not just say what you actually mean. You don't want to do it and you think that nobody else should either.

I think people who need to should, but I also think people who do it for sport or do it simply because they wan't to eat a Deer are disgusting

Necessity----> Vanity.

You can keep putting words in my mouth though.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:13 PM ----------

Let's assume all hunting of wild game stopped and it wasn't a sport. After a while there would be an abundance of deer or boar (for my location) they would then be competing for your precious grocery grazing fields, be a danger to humans as competitiveness for food would lure them into high population areas increasing traffic fatalities. These things are factual, tried and tested.
    The simple solution is culls.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is there to understand? You kill animals because you think it's fun. You can try to justify it by saying "well I ate it!" but at the end of the day you could have just bought some meat from the grocery store.

It is unnecessary in our society. It's just people killing for the sake of killing.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 11:36 AM ----------

You can buy most of the animals you listed from grocery stores.
    LMAO how did that meat get in the grocery store in the first place?

I think people who need to should, but I also think people who do it for sport or do it simply because they wan't to eat a Deer are disgusting

Necessity----> Vanity.

You can keep putting words in my mouth though.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:13 PM ----------

The simple solution is culls.
    So it goes back to its okay to kill 1 thing but not another.... save the cute otter, kill the ugly cow...