Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    This thread is quite assuming. Hunting for meat is pointless and not needed anymore, but breeding livestock on giant farms in pretty awful conditions and slaughtering them is..
    Yes it is, there are not enough Deer to support the needs of our population. What cattle go through is horrible, but we need that influx of food. I'm all for making the living conditions of cattle better. But with the human population growing efficiency is more important that quality it seems.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive Been Roo hunting before on a mate farm and its a blast, what alot of people dont realise is they are kinda a pest so dont hate on me for killing those hoppy things.
    But yeh Spotlightings great fun to do with a few mates and i would recommend it for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    It isn't wrong, just unnecessary.
    LOL, has to be a troll!

Seriously? Do you know the amount of pesticides and chemicals used on the food you eat? You do realize that someone does have to grow the food for the grocery stores, why not grow it yourself?

I grow and raise 90% of my own food. Everything is organic. Do you know how much buying all organic costs?

What happens if there is an economic collapse or major disaster? No food in the grocery stores. I guess you will be begging for the government to help you out while people like me won't notice any change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    and at the end of the day, killing an animal for food is killing an animal for food. there is nothing more moral about a cow being killed than a deer. or a chicken.
    I agree, but that doesn't suddenly mean it's necessary.

I've hunted smaller game for sport, and deer to help keep the population in check. I try to always eat what I kill, though. I could live off of venison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStalker View Post
    LOL, has to be a troll!

Seriously? Do you know the amount of pesticides and chemicals used on the food you eat? You do realize that someone does have to grow the food for the grocery stores, why not grow it yourself?

I grow and raise 90% of my own food. Everything is organic. Do you know how much buying all organic costs?

What happens if there is an economic collapse or major disaster? No food in the grocery stores. I guess you will be begging for the government to help you out while people like me won't notice any change.
    I never said you shouldn't, I just said you don't need too.

I agree, but that doesn't suddenly mean it's necessary.
    out of my entire post, this is what you respond to? what, did it look like a low hanging fruit or something?

Yes it is, there are not enough Deer to support the needs of our population.
    Do you have any source/proof of this? Cause I think you're just spatting out any nonsense that comes to your head...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Killing something - taking the life of another organism, merely for sport, for play, is disgusting and immoral.
    I disagree. It's easy for someone to sit on the sidelines, go to mcdonalds, and buy a Bigmac and say they are not being immoral. In order to hunt, you have to respect nature. There is nothing immoral about killing for food. It's part of nature. And only by taking part in it can you respect that part of nature. The only time the word sport comes into play is to modify the term respect; as in it's unsportsmanlike to shoot every animal you see in sight regardless of food or necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I remember finding a deer foot in a bale of hay one time when feeding my parent's horses.
    Yeah it happens, one thing we do as a preventive method is to put up white plastic bags in the fields before the farmer who rents our land(we don't farm it ourselfs) comes with the machine to harvest the hay, doesn't guarantee anything, but it's supposed to scare deers away, as their white behinds are supposed to be a warning sign to others. Sometimes they will still hide the baby deers in the fields and the small ones wont move out of the way unless the mother is there, end result is like throwng them into a meat grinder.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I disagree. It's easy for someone to sit on the sidelines, go to mcdonalds, and buy a Bigmac and say they are not being immoral. In order to hunt, you have to eventually respect nature. There is nothing immoral about killing for food. It's part of nature. And only by taking part in it can you respect that part of nature. The only time the word sport comes into play is to modify the term respect; as in it's unsportsmanlike to shoot every animal you see in sight regardless of food or necessity.
    I think you're misreading the person you quoted, I believe he's talking about people who go hunting for wall decorations.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Yeah it happens, one thing we do as a preventive method is to put up white plastic bags in the fields before the farmer who rents our land(we don't farm it ourselfs) comes with the machine to harvest the hay, doesn't guarantee anything, but it's supposed to scare deers away, as their white behinds are supposed to be a warning sign to others. Sometimes they will still hide the baby deers in the fields and the small ones wont move out of the way unless the mother is there, end result is like throwng them into a meat grinder.
    Ya, the foot I found was a fawn's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

I don't, but this thread is making me hungry!

10+ Year Old Account
    out of my entire post, this is what you respond to? what, did it look like a low hanging fruit or something?
    Look, I've been restating the same thing over and over again for the last 3 hours. I am very tired and don't have much fight left in me. If you guys want to believe that hunting is necessary then so be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Never! I find it utterly disgusting. I wish all the world would just become vegetarian. Sure the animals might be less intelligent than humans but if you think about if for a second, they can still feel pain, horror and fear. I would never do that to another living being and I havent eaten animal meat since I was six.
    If everyone was a vegetarian, there would be so many damned animals on this planet that society as you know it would totally change. In slaughter houses cows are killed instantaneously, no fear, no pain. Sure, there are some places some where the animal does feel fear before death, but chances are if you go to Mcdonald's today and eat a hamburger there the meat from the cow(s) it came from probably died without fear.

Regardless though, I do respect your choice to be vegetarian, I'm sure you get WAY more fiber than me

EDIT: Rethinking about the cattle in slaughter house, cows might feel fear if they understand exactly what is going on. Not all of them may though.
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2012-11-05 at 11:05 PM.
    Call me House.

Deleted
    having outliers in our society doesn't make the concept necessary. If you can't afford meat then by all means go hunting, I've never disputed that you should be able too. However, every hunter on this site can't use that excuse, if you can access the internet then you can afford meat.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:31 PM ----------

Probably the 8th time I've said this, I don't support the treatment of cattle, i just understand why we have it.
    Mate seriously, only because you "understand" why the treatment of cattles is shit doesn't make it any better? Hunting is still much more morally correct IMO, and I love animals, the outdoors and everything about it.
    I feed the wild animals so I get a healthy population of them and make sure their kids will be able to survive harsh winters as an example and keep them safe from predators. When doing this I get many (hopefully "happy" deers) which lived a free and good life.
    Then I can each autumn go out and kill a few grownups, KNOWING that they had a good life and haven't been standing about eating themselves fat just to get ready for slaughter ....

The problem should be directed to the care of today's "animal-farming", that is wrong treatment of animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, nothing like the thrill of a hunt from ANY animal.

Look, I've been restating the same thing over and over again for the last 3 hours. I am very tired and don't have much fight left in me. If you guys want to believe that hunting is necessary then so be it.
    i think you missed my point. people - including myself - have given plenty of reasons that it is not a bad thing, maybe even a preferable thing. yet you never respond to those reasons. you just keep saying "nope, no reasons here!" and cherrypicking lines that you can respond to with "still not necessary!" you are being willfully obtuse or disingenuous at best tbh

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I remember finding a deer foot in a bale of hay one time when feeding my parent's horses.
    Well you don't see that everyday lol

Yes it is, there are not enough Deer to support the needs of our population. What cattle go through is horrible, but we need that influx of food. I'm all for making the living conditions of cattle better. But with the human population growing efficiency is more important that quality it seems.
    You right they couldn't, just like how the normal cattle population couldn't support our eating habits, hence why they're bred. So if we start to breed deer like we do livestock, I'm certain we could support the population on venison.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think you missed my point. people - including myself - have given plenty of reasons that it is not a bad thing, maybe even a preferable thing. yet you never respond to those reasons. you just keep saying "nope, no reasons here!" and cherrypicking lines that you can respond to with "still not necessary!" you are being willfully obtuse or disingenuous at best tbh
    None of the reasons posted make hunting necessary. The only one that is even close if the population argument, but honestly reintroducing native redators to areas in which Deer populations are out of control could easily fix that.

Aside from that, the reasons given have been:

- I like the grandeur of stalking my prey
    - I get cravings for wild animals and don't like grocery store meat
    - I enjoy nature and being a part of nature
    - I like having a relationship with my food

None of these make hunting detrimental to the well being of our society, hunting is a vanity done out of preference, not necessity. Unless you are poor of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Never! I find it utterly disgusting. I wish all the world would just become vegetarian. Sure the animals might be less intelligent than humans but if you think about if for a second, they can still feel pain, horror and fear. I would never do that to another living being and I havent eaten animal meat since I was six.
    While I respect your opinion, in some areas, hunting is absolutely needed. In my state, more people die from car accidents caused by deer, than any other automobile related injury. Even with all of the hunting within the state, the populations are at very dangerous levels.