1. #1
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,871

    Crafting: Just for Looks?

    I know in a lot of MMO's the crafting system is mainly in place to create items for other players, or to create temporary items for yourself inbetween the leveling/raiding gap. Mostly, its a cash and time sink.

    What is the story with Rift's crafting though? Can you create worthwhile pieces of equipment or is it better to just buy what you want from the AH and just farm materials for other crafters?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I know in a lot of MMO's the crafting system is mainly in place to create items for other players, or to create temporary items for yourself inbetween the leveling/raiding gap. Mostly, its a cash and time sink.

    What is the story with Rift's crafting though? Can you create worthwhile pieces of equipment or is it better to just buy what you want from the AH and just farm materials for other crafters?
    You don't have to take a craft to have a best-in-slot piece of gear. In terms of armor/jewelry/weapons, crafting is great for upgrading a slot that's not up to par, but it's certainly not a requirement, and there'll always be better pieces of gear.

    For raid consumables and runes, having your main (or an alt) capable of crafting them is useful, but it's not hard to find what you're looking for on the AH, or finding a friend/guildmate who can help you out.

    There's nothing outstandingly unique about Rift crafting.

  3. #3
    only items that i think are useful from crafting are potions(pretty obvious one here) and Seals, Im not sure if you can just go purchase seals from faction vendors or if they even drop in raids, though you can still purchase them from the AH if need be.

  4. #4
    High Overlord Arkamenitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tempest Bay, Telara
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    only items that i think are useful from crafting are potions(pretty obvious one here) and Seals, Im not sure if you can just go purchase seals from faction vendors or if they even drop in raids, though you can still purchase them from the AH if need be.
    seals are exclusively crafted items

  5. #5
    Unless you really really like crafting for some reason, you are probably better off taking gathering professions and selling mats then buying what you need. Or gathering mats and getting someone to craft what you need for you. There is nothing that you can make that is BoP or that is only useful if you are a crafter like other games. It IS worthwhile to know a crafter, or have one in your guild. However, IMO, unless you really really enjoy crafting for some reason, it is pretty pointless.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  6. #6
    Dreadlord Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    851
    Crafted gear will be more valuable at the start of the expansion, just as it was at launch.
    But it's value dies down once people get stuck into raiding.

  7. #7
    What is the story with Rift's crafting though?
    Mostly a time & gold sink.

    Can you create worthwhile pieces of equipment or is it better to just buy what you want from the AH and just farm materials for other crafters?
    Enchants, trinkets and consumables are worthwhile. The rest are, "temporary items for yourself inbetween the leveling/raiding gap".

  8. #8
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,871
    Thanks guys. I might drop Outfitting then, although its pretty exciting to craft burlap shoes. =)

  9. #9
    Mechagnome Requiemcliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere.
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Thanks guys. I might drop Outfitting then, although its pretty exciting to craft burlap shoes. =)
    I dunno, you can also craft bags and all that, which is nice. But yeah, honestly it's one of those things you don't particularly need unless you want to get invested into ti.

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,871
    From looking at the AH over the past few days, bags seem to be available in regular supply at a seemingly affordable rate (I won't buying the 22-Slots at level 30, but still affordable once I start getting bigger paydays at higher levels).

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,820
    The various crafting professions will also be able to make Dimension objects in Storm Legion, so depending on how popular it becomes and what the items are, crafting might just be lucrative in SL

  12. #12
    Fluffy Kitten Azuri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    The various crafting professions will also be able to make Dimension objects in Storm Legion, so depending on how popular it becomes and what the items are, crafting might just be lucrative in SL
    Not sure about that it could turn out to be like glyphs in wow since they aren't a consumable their demand will drop once people have the crafted items they want. At the beginning they will be overpriced.
    • PSN ID: Azuri118 •

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    From looking at the AH over the past few days, bags seem to be available in regular supply at a seemingly affordable rate (I won't buying the 22-Slots at level 30, but still affordable once I start getting bigger paydays at higher levels).
    Until very recently in Rift there was almost nothing to spend gold on. A few raid consumables a week at most. So everyone got super rich eventually.

    In SL they put in a ton of gold sinks w/o increasing the overall payout by much.

    Just something to consider we had into the new expansion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •