Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Suggestion for high-end mostly solo pve experience

    I was talking to one of my friends today about the old vanilla feel and I came up with a pretty good suggestion for some new high-end content, that does not involve dailies but adds a cool way to progress your character.

    The isle chain
    Between Kalimdor and Pandaria a new isle chain has been found, containing 3 new unexplored zones, the drowned temple, the mystic woods and the brownhide shores. Both the horde and the alliance have sent their most seasoned soldiers to this isle chain.

    This isle chain offers new high-end challenges for solo players and small group content. It will remind most allot of the old vanilla experience, there will be 5 facions on this isle (2 alliance, 2 horde, 1 neutral), no flying (the next expansion it will be flyable) and contain harder mobs then found on pandaria, it will also host 1 new world boss and 4 open world dungeons.

    This is content for those that want a challenge without having to group with others and being able to play whenever they want, it would have no dailies, new quests and 3 brutal factions to grind out.

    The brownhide shores
    Both the horde and the alliance share a small port in this zone, it is like the other 2 zones the size of old STV. In this zone you encounter the brownhides, a faction of lost furbolgs who try to defend their cities from the naga. Quests in this zone would involve telling you about these furbolgs and why the naga decided to attack them. All mobs would reward 5 rep each with them dropping naga-beads aswell, 10 beads can be handed in for 150 rep and are soulbound. Quests would award no rep, they instead sometimes award lfr-raid like gear and award a normal-raid like item at the end of the chain. Mobs would be allot harder then in any other zone and there will be many elites too. The end of the chain would ask you to complete a mini-dungeon.

    The brownhide also offer a quartermaster, those who get friendly are able to buy special food and bandages. Those who reach honored are able to make new recipes for each proffesion. Those who reach reverded are able to get 2 items with normal-raid itemlevel. Those who reach exalted are able to get 2 items with herioc-raid itemlevel. These would be buyable for gold and cost roughly 300 g each. But this would take lots of time to achieve. A title "of the brownhides" would be awarded at the end. This zone is the easiest of the three.

    Mystic Woods

    East of the brownhide plains lies the mystic woods where the horde and alliance have setup their faction bases. It would offer two new factions, king's command for the alliance and kor'kron expedition for the horde. Quests here involve about defeating the other faction, securing outposts and finding out why there is a mogu-tribe here. This zone would house 2 mini-dungeons and a worldboss. Mobs will be roughly 25% stronger in this zone.

    Once again killing mobs would award 5 rep and the first 25 player (unique) kills per day would award 20 rep each. Once you have gotten these two new factions to friendly you will get a special vanity pet. On honored you are able to buy a special transmog set and a title "Mystic" on reverded you would get 1 normal-raid trinket and a weapon on exalted you will get 2 herioc-raid items and a mount. These would cost roughly 700g each, the mount would cost 2k.

    Drowned temple
    The drowned temple is the last zone and lies south of the brownhide shores and the mystic woods and is wow's second underwater zone. The naga have enslaved another of their demi-gods in this zone and the horde and alliance want to find out why. The horde will help a tribe of aqua-goblins while the alliance will help a local murloc tribe. Mobs would have 25% more health and damage done then in the Mystic woods and all mobs award between 1 and 3 rep each for the factions. This zone would house the last mini-dungeon involving this demi-god.

    The factions award a normal-raid weapon on friendly, a herioc-raid trinket on honored and a herioc-raid chest. On reverded a couple of very special proffesion recipes will be unlocked. On exalted you will get a legendary-token that is needed for acquiring the legendary and also the special title "Player hero of the isles".

    This place is ment for the pve player that likes challenges and is ment for both raiders and those who prefer to solo. Many achievements would be accompanied with this island section. Once the patch is over all titles will not be accesible anymore and after the expansion all achievements & mounts will neither.

    Side info :

    There would be new mats accompanying the new recipes :

    Isle shards (enchanting)
    Illium (Mining)
    Waterbloom (herbalism)
    mysticthistle (herbalism)
    Strong leather (skinning)
    watery cloth (tailoring)

    Mobs will also have chances to drop 5 vp packages & lesser charm of good fortune.
    Last edited by zylathas; 2012-11-05 at 08:21 PM.

  2. #2
    This is what I was hoping for with the Darkmoon Faire and the note about "Stay out of the woods" in the preview. Mobs that will own your face but give some neat possibly cosmetic items for achievements.


  3. #3
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    31,514
    While I'm not against the idea of grinding to achieve a goal, how is grinding mobs over and over to get beads to turn in for a measly rep gain different than grinding daily quests to do the same?

    Don't get me wrong: I like this idea, a lot.



  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    While I'm not against the idea of grinding to achieve a goal, how is grinding mobs over and over to get beads to turn in for a measly rep gain different than grinding daily quests to do the same?

    Don't get me wrong: I like this idea, a lot.
    The cap here there will be no cap, you can do as much as you want per day if you want to get these factions to the max in a day? Feel free to do so. Do you want to spend 5 minutes a day? That is possible too.

    Some clarifications : Herioc-dungeon loot should be lfr-like look & these zones would have their own reagents aswell.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    31,514
    Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    The cap here there will be no cap, you can do as much as you want per day if you want to get these factions to the max in a day? Feel free to do so. Do you want to spend 5 minutes a day? That is possible too.

    Some clarifications : Herioc-dungeon loot should be lfr-like look & these zones would have their own reagents aswell.
    That's true. I ground out to honored for the Black Prince from just mobs. I'm not against it at all.



  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's true. I ground out to honored for the Black Prince from just mobs. I'm not against it at all.
    I was talking with a friend about how I greatly enjoyed the Black prince reputation, the grinding is just fun and gives a better sense of accomplishment. I was really happy when I finnaly got honored today. So I think it is time to expand upon that feature and even give it a whole new character-gearing path aswell.

    Another reason why this zone is nothing like dailies, cause it has more stuff to do then grind aswell. There will be 3 entirely new storylines getting told in hopefully if blizzard wants to do it near 300 quests together that are one time completion, but do take time to complete and give better rewards in short term.

    Next to it as I have added these zones should offer a new way of getting your required pve things aswell, as mobs would be dropping both vp packages (5 points) and lesser charm of good fortune aswell.
    Last edited by zylathas; 2012-11-05 at 08:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Soundaawesome except for the whole underwater zone thing, although I don't think the rewards should be heroic level, maybe near to that but let the heroic raiders have their prestige

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Ethes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan (日本東京)
    Posts
    1,128
    First of all, freaking awesome idea! Why don't you work at Blizzard. Then we might have had this :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by hyperio View Post
    Soundaawesome except for the whole underwater zone thing, although I don't think the rewards should be heroic level, maybe near to that but let the heroic raiders have their prestige
    I agree with this though. If these quests and grinds would rewards heroic raid level gear these grinds would become too important for raiders who don't care about them. (You are already familiar with the complaining about how dailies are mandatory ;-)). A few (very) good items would be fine, but possible BiS gear would be overdoing it a bit I think.

    As this is intended as solo content, is it supposed to be phased? That you're all alone in there? Or is it also possible to go in there with a group?

    Edit: A shame how this topic doesn't last a page where a topic about someone searching advice on how to deal with all the women hitting on him hit 10 pages.... C'mon, this is a MMO forum ffs
    Last edited by Ethes; 2012-11-06 at 01:00 PM.

  9. #9
    This content is not supposed to be phased, as it has minidungeons with mostly elite mobs. This zone is indeed intended for solo play, but as in old vanilla it will be possible to make a group with friends and play (will give more realm community) and will have ample pvp opportunities aswell.

    And I do agree with the herioc thing however, I just say that great gear, as good as raid gear should be awarded for those that can defeat these zones as it should be seen as a feat to play on this level even if you aren't a herioc raider. But besides the legendary note you can acquire here I agree, this should not be mandatory but instead give a new way of gaining the rewards you would like, like vp & currency.

  10. #10
    An idea certainly outstanding!

    It would be an interesting way to recover the "spirit" of vanilla WoW, which would satisfy many people I'm sure. At the same time it would be a different and alternative way to get good items and equip yourself (the level that should have such items would be arguably). In short, it would be a content that, despite being optional, would attract many people who are tired of always the same thing.

    I support it! But, if I may, just a small idea: to make this "continent" an atemporal one, ie that is not preset for a specific level, but it is a self-adjusting content to the level you have, which would ensure that the people can choose to enjoy these areas whenever they want and however they want. That is, it would be an area with mobs and loot levels adjustable, obtaining a specified reputation for yourself (the tabard is carried at the time), etc ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    A shame how this topic doesn't last a page where a topic about someone searching advice on how to deal with all the women hitting on him hit 10 pages.... C'mon, this is a MMO forum ffs
    I agree. For one suggestion which really worth, people do not know appreciate it, they prefer to discuss about new playable races and other issues already more that discussed ...


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    An idea certainly outstanding!

    It would be an interesting way to recover the "spirit" of vanilla WoW, which would satisfy many people I'm sure. At the same time it would be a different and alternative way to get good items and equip yourself (the level that should have such items would be arguably). In short, it would be a content that, despite being optional, would attract many people who are tired of always the same thing.

    I support it! But, if I may, just a small idea: to make this "continent" an atemporal one, ie that is not preset for a specific level, but it is a self-adjusting content to the level you have, which would ensure that the people can choose to enjoy these areas whenever they want and however they want. That is, it would be an area with mobs and loot levels adjustable, obtaining a specified reputation for yourself (the tabard is carried at the time), etc ...



    I agree. For one suggestion which really worth, people do not know appreciate it, they prefer to discuss about new playable races and other issues already more that discussed ...
    I think that will be very hard to do, unless you would have some sort of system that would increase your level gain and gear, but that would not work too well to be honest.

    Edit : I do think this would be possible if you would say a rule like those lower level get I363 Ilevel with avarage stats accompanied by it and can do the zones, while mobs would give extra xp (500% from other zones) for killing them. But I am against for lets saying, reducing everyone's itemlevel to I363, it should be possible to overgear the content, as it is hard content and should be about "how do I want to do this today?" and it gives it a grander sense of accomplishment with some gear increase. But as I said before, you would not be able to outlevel the content, as all important rewards (besides raid gear and vanity pets) would be removed.

    I would like to see more that blizzard would add more of these zones every few patches, as sub-raid content. Although I do think that if you release 3 zones like this you will have months upon months of content, maybe you would have to add some new hubs (like nesingwary) and a small new zone with rep at some point (like 60% into the expansion) but with a totally brutal grind and very hard mobs this should last for a while, even with gear ups that would gradually start to nerf the content.
    Last edited by zylathas; 2012-11-06 at 09:30 PM.

  12. #12
    Mechagnome Zeglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    568
    Like a one-player dungeon. I have had this idea and wanted something like it for a long time. It may get boring with no other player intereraction, though. I guess the Brawlers' Guild is sort of a one-player PvE thing.

  13. #13
    Bloodsail Admiral Ethes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan (日本東京)
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    This content is not supposed to be phased, as it has minidungeons with mostly elite mobs. This zone is indeed intended for solo play, but as in old vanilla it will be possible to make a group with friends and play (will give more realm community) and will have ample pvp opportunities aswell.

    And I do agree with the herioc thing however, I just say that great gear, as good as raid gear should be awarded for those that can defeat these zones as it should be seen as a feat to play on this level even if you aren't a herioc raider. But besides the legendary note you can acquire here I agree, this should not be mandatory but instead give a new way of gaining the rewards you would like, like vp & currency.
    I'm glad about that. For several reasons I hate phased content (you never see anybody, the herbs and mining nodes you're farming dissapear in front of your face, etc).
    I would also really like to see mobs that don't just die after hitting them twice. It would be great do actually be using your class its abilities in order to kill something. I really hope Blizzard does something with this idea.

    Did you post this on the Blizzard forums as well?

  14. #14
    While I'm not against the idea of grinding to achieve a goal

  15. #15
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,655
    Single player rpg's are in --------------> that direction. Its called a Massive MULTIPLAYER Role Play game for a reason. Even the brawlers guild is Multiplayer because anyone and join in watching and throw stuff at the person in there.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeglo View Post
    Like a one-player dungeon. I have had this idea and wanted something like it for a long time. It may get boring with no other player intereraction, though. I guess the Brawlers' Guild is sort of a one-player PvE thing.
    Same here. I was hoping Brawlers Guild would give us that but I am not sure.

    Would like to see a one-player dungeon that ramps up in difficulty (you should be hitting walls) so I got something to really work on when I am not raiding.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 11:49 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Single player rpg's are in --------------> that direction. Its called a Massive MULTIPLAYER Role Play game for a reason. Even the brawlers guild is Multiplayer because anyone and join in watching and throw stuff at the person in there.
    I understand this but when we need to do something in a group there is always LFD that comes into play which means mindnumbing content for some people. I don't enjoy doing heroics at all how they are now.

    And having something to do during downtime that's challenging but doesn't require you to put much effort into making a group would be great. You know, sometimes when you are waiting for the raid to start and you have still half an hour I can't go make a group for challenge modes.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 11:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I'm glad about that. For several reasons I hate phased content (you never see anybody, the herbs and mining nodes you're farming dissapear in front of your face, etc).
    I would also really like to see mobs that don't just die after hitting them twice. It would be great do actually be using your class its abilities in order to kill something. I really hope Blizzard does something with this idea.

    Did you post this on the Blizzard forums as well?
    I like the rare mobs in Pandaria (well, some of them). They are quite challenging the first time you solo them. Maybe more for me because I play a shadowpriest and only have 1 intterupt :P. Could use more content like that.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-11-07 at 10:52 AM.

  17. #17
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,415
    Even though I really appreciate the effort that OP put into it, I still don't get it. Why is this different than doing the reputation dailies? Unless I'm missing something this just looks like another grind, killing mobs....and to be honest, if it's a grind... I prefer to have it easy really so I can get it over and done with.

    Just like real life/work. An occasional challenge can be fun, but I wouldn't want that everyday. Having to do something as a grind is boring, making it harder does not make it less boring, only makes me dislike it more since it's now even costing me more of my time.
    Then again, I avoid grinding whenever I can. Of course raiding is just another form of grinding, but that's why I love it at some point you get the gear to whizz through it a lot faster so you can do other fun stuff and still have helped guildies gear up.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 12:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    I understand this but when we need to do something in a group there is always LFD that comes into play which means mindnumbing content for some people. I don't enjoy doing heroics at all how they are now.
    I think you are actually looking for the challenge dungeons then.

    And having something to do during downtime that's challenging but doesn't require you to put much effort into making a group would be great. You know, sometimes when you are waiting for the raid to start and you have still half an hour I can't go make a group for challenge modes.
    Solo old content? DO some PVP? BG's? Pet Battles?
    Erm and that last remark "still half an hour I can't go make a group for challenge modes""??? Tthat's actually something you really could do.... The challenges are mostly set around 10-20 minutes for gold, so that fits in less than half an hour....
    Last edited by velde046; 2012-11-07 at 11:04 AM.

  18. #18
    Bloodsail Admiral Ethes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan (日本東京)
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Single player rpg's are in --------------> that direction. Its called a Massive MULTIPLAYER Role Play game for a reason. Even the brawlers guild is Multiplayer because anyone and join in watching and throw stuff at the person in there.
    As far as I understand it by now it is supposed to be hard group/solo content. As it is mainly not phased or instanced I would still consider it MMO content. I think the idea is to make it like the hard vanilla quest chains. Assasination of Barov, killing that giant scorpion in Silitius, rep quests involving killing the giants in Winterspring, Rok'Dhalar and Lok'Dhalar style quests. I'm sure other people can come up with many more examples.

    As for the instanced/phased solo content I think it's supposed to be among the lines of the Dragonwrath questline. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

    So ye, basically these places would become kick-ass islands where one can actually die again if you do something stupid (i.e. pull too many mobs, don't interrupt, etc).

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral mirodin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Khazad Doom
    Posts
    1,045
    A good idea, but im afraid that it might get abused by people. For example, since it won't be phased and the only way to get rep is to kill mobs, people could form a raid find a spot with fast spawns and start aoe spaming. Whit the rewards it would reward you will see most high end guilds trying their best to get em as fast as posible. If there woluld be something implemented so that you can't earn rep while in a raid group for those zones spcificaly, it would turn in a good idea, turned bad by the comunity.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    A good idea, but im afraid that it might get abused by people. For example, since it won't be phased and the only way to get rep is to kill mobs, people could form a raid find a spot with fast spawns and start aoe spaming. Whit the rewards it would reward you will see most high end guilds trying their best to get em as fast as posible. If there woluld be something implemented so that you can't earn rep while in a raid group for those zones spcificaly, it would turn in a good idea, turned bad by the comunity.
    You could always prohibit rep gaining when doing quests in a raid group to make sure this abuse is not there.

    Next to it for those that wondered if I did put it on the blizzard forums aswell, yes I have. Feel free to put it on the US if you have an account (but do mention my name) eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5847975705

    By the way, for those saying this is a mmo so no solo content. This place would not only contain solo content 80% of the quests would be soloable (although they would be difficult) and 20% would be aimed for groups of atleast 2-3 players. There will be a 40 man world boss that is hard (1 day respawn timer) and mini dungeons aimed for between 3 to 5 players. So besides the solo content there will be lots of open world group content too.
    Last edited by zylathas; 2012-11-07 at 12:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •