Ret and Challenge Modes

My guild has been doing challenge modes lately and getting gold at a decent rate. I have been on multiple runs in different instances and only coming up with silver. I did some research and discovered that ret pallys have been able to do some golds, but its pretty rare for them to get all golds. I know that many of the dungeons are stacked against melee due to WW mechanics and cleaves. This is something I can avoid, but I am finding that there are plenty of bosses out there that such as striker ga'dok the flying boss in GSS, Brother Korloff and his fire ww in SM, and lillian Voss in Scholo with the fixate and flames. These are just a few examples of why melee is not the always ideal. Other melee have things to offer such as warriors with their 10 stuns, rogues with mass stealth, and dks who can still maintain a large amount of damage from a distance. I personally think the card are stacked against ret, but I figured I would ask the MMOC community if they have found any way to increase their damage.

Things I have tried:

Reforge Mastery for more upfront damage.
    Glyph blinding light for additional stun
    glyph harsh words to keep some uptime.

If you're running with a druid, getting symbiosis to use Wrath for phases where you must outrange the boss can soften the blow, but yeah, challenge modes are stacked against rets right now.
    Last edited by mmmmmmmBacon; 2012-11-06 at 02:11 AM.

Deleted
    Get a second helm with a different meta,maybe swap some crit pieces for more expertise, and run as prot.
    You'll do more dps anyway.
    (Yes i know AOE rocks with chain DP procs or holy avenager and boss dps is good, but get an unlucky string on a trash pack and you're done.)
    Challenge mode is sadly all about 3 heavy cleave range dps.