Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

found a box of raisins with the expiration date unreadable

So today I thought I heard some skittering in my kitchen. i didn't find what skittered, but I did find a 1 KG box of raisins where the expiration date is printed right on top of the point of the box where the box was molded into the form, making it unreadable apart from maybe the final 2 numbers, which are 12.

so it expires in 2012, but i don't know exactly when, although my mother thought she saw 11 in there as well. I did see a short code below it: LA 11305, which I believe could be the code for that specific shipment of raisins. 11305 is a postal code in Los Angeles, so a google search didn't find anything. This might be a long shot, but could I find the expiration date for a shipment of raisins somewhere using that LA 11305 code?

or am i just overthinking it and can i safely assume those raisins are still edible?

Eat 'em. If you get ill, you know who to sue for false advertisement.

Deleted
    It's raisins, and if it expires/expired sometime this year it's definitely still edible.

Deleted
    Bake raisin muffins and give them to someone.

Raisins are edible for many years, or any dried fruit for that matter. Eat em.

oooor just buy a new box of raisins?

This ^ its dried fruit....u will be fine
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted
    1st World problems ayyyy..

As long as the expiration date wasnt in 2009 or sooner you should be ok enjoy you some raisins.

Although I wonder what the skittering was. You should probably get on that.

Don't be a pussy eat them!

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    So today I thought I heard some skittering in my kitchen. i didn't find what skittered, but I did find a 1 KG box of raisins where the expiration date is printed right on top of the point of the box where the box was molded into the form, making it unreadable apart from maybe the final 2 numbers, which are 12.
    Hopefully the roaches / mice haven't been snacking on your raisins...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phante View Post
    Bake raisin muffins and give them to someone.
    You are a cruel, cruel people person.

Ontopic:
    It's raisins, they're created to hold for a long time, so you should be safe eating them, if the box is intact though, who knows where that skittering came from?

Deleted
    Just what the others have said. Dried food -> edible for millenia!

Most expiration dates are bogus. For many items, they just throw a date on there to make the consumer feel good about eating "fresh" food. They put expiration dates on vinegar! Do you know what happens to vinegar when it goes bad? It becomes vinegar.

Granted many foods, including your raisins, probably won't have the best taste or texture if they're too old, but they're very, very unlikely to actually harm you.

If it weren't for the skittering, I might say eat 'em. With the skittering, you never know if what you're pulling out is a raisin or a mouse dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Hopefully the roaches / mice haven't been snacking on your raisins...
    Good point, maybe they're not really raisins anymore but have instead been replaced...

I write this in hopes the OP has already eaten a few. You know, for lulz.

This reminds me of when I moved out of my apartment in 2011 and found a ketchup bottle in the back of the frig. I looked at the exp date and saw that it had expired in 2007. Funny thing is I know I had used some randomly between 2007 and 2011!

10+ Year Old Account
    If they don't stink and they're not furry, bon appétit.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Good point, maybe they're not really raisins anymore but have instead been replaced...

I write this in hopes the OP has already eaten a few. You know, for lulz.
    Ladies, gentlemen, behold the start of the zombie apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Ladies, gentlemen, behold the start of the zombie apocalypse.
    But which component? Dead cockroaches, mouse/rat turds or expired raisins?