Page 1 of 31
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Man Arrested for Seeming Racist

A man has been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated offence following Chelsea's League Cup win over Manchester United.

Pictures taken during Wednesday's fourth-round tie at Stamford Bridge appeared to show a fan making a "monkey" gesture.

Gavin Kirkham, 28, was bailed after being questioned at a west London police station on Monday.

United striker Danny Welbeck appeared to be the target of the alleged abuse.

The Metropolitan Police said Mr Kirkham was arrested after attending the police station by appointment.

He was released on bail until later in November.

Does anyone support this? This is totally Orwellian and wrong. How could the police purposely arrest someone for expression his harmless, but stupid, opinion? How do they know whos feelings may or may not be hurt, and why do they think they have the right to lock an innocent man up just for being a jerk?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20212989
    Last edited by GreatOak; 2012-11-05 at 10:18 PM.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Britain doesn't have the First Amendment the USA does. It makes free expression a little bit more risky over there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Britain doesn't have the First Amendment the USA does. It makes free expression a little bit more risky over there.
    True, but this all seems to be getting a little silly. I doubt the player even saw the man.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Britain has different laws.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    True, but this all seems to be getting a little silly. I doubt the player even saw the man.
    Oh, I agree it's silly. I'm just saying this is how police get away with it. Remember how people were arrested just for making Twitter/FB comments supporting the rioters a year ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post

The police should still have better common sense. I don't think the laws should matter when it comes to things like this.

I find this pretty obscene. People have every right to be ignorant, and he wasn't hurting anyone with this rather ambiguous gesture. This isn't to say that I think it's right to be an idiot. Not at all. We're all entitled to our opinions in the "free" world, though. And to arrest him for some child-like behavior? Ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Britain has different laws.

/thread
    Laws don't necessarily reflect the will of the people an dont equate to morality

Deleted
    Sorry Brits, but if this keeps up I'm not visiting London any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Sorry Brits, but if this keeps up I'm not visiting London any time soon.
    I don't understand, you won't visit a country because you can't be a racist? Glad you're staying at home, Britain sure doesn't need more people like that.

Laws don't necessarily reflect the will of the people an dont equate to morality
    Racism is a criminal offence in Britain, and quite a lot of the population are ok with that law.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I don't understand, you won't visit a country because you can't be a racist? Glad you're staying at home, Britain sure doesn't need more people like that.

Racism is a criminal offence in Britain, and quite a lot of the population are ok with that law.
    Doesn't make it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Well this is nothing new sadly, I am surprised that anyone is still unaware of this, there is simply no freedom of speech any more in Great Britain.

It has just went the way some other rights did in GB, once I thinked about moving there, now however...
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    No, I wouldn't visit a country if it had legislation that could inhibit free expression as Section 5 does. The guy that was photographed making a monkey impression should've just been banned from the ground or something. No need for imprisonment or any punishment. I find it "offensive" and "insulting" that he was arrested for it.

Count me out. At least when it comes to general opinion and free speech.

They invented political correctness. Do you really expect them NOT to arrest someone who makes monkey gestures at a black man?

"United striker Danny Welbeck appeared to be the target of the alleged abuse."
    Or, in other words:
    "There is a black man on the football field, and that guy over there is making monkey gestures... 1 + 1 = Ding ding ding, the guy is being racist!"
    At no point whatsoever did they actually stop to think THEY are the ones being racist for connecting a monkey gesture as an imitation of a black man.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    If they hadn't put needlessly aggravating music in the background I might have finished watching that clip. Is as bad as those Anonymous clips. If so many MPs back a reform to the Public Order Act, why don't they exercise their right to have it discussed in Parliament?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Except the police are in charge of upholding the law, so of course they have to follow through on upholding said law.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Britain has thought police now? Glad I don't live there.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

I think most people (in the US, at least) view it as a slippery slope type situation.

Deleted
    If they hadn't put needlessly aggravating music in the background I might have finished watching that clip. Is as bad as those Anonymous clips. If so many MPs back a reform to the Public Order Act, why don't they exercise their right to have it discussed in Parliament?
    Just mute it if the music bothers you.

It is arguing for awareness about a law that is having people arrested for being considered 'offensive' or 'insulting'.