Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Didn't you people have freedom of speech zones so you could protest against George W. Bush's policies where he will never see you? Yeah that's your freedom of speech.
    Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park? Yeah, anything goes there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know what makes me sick more, that people apologise for racism or this picture of the alledged ofender, either way this guy wont go to prison, he wont get locked up, he'll get a fine and a caution, if i walked up to a black person in the street and made money chants and impressions id expect exactly the same. Free speech does not mean you're free to be a completely ignorant buffoon and break the law.
    http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti.../Gavin+Kirkham

edited pic out just check the link its not nice.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-11-05 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    I don't see how pretending a problem doesn't exist is a solution. It's not like the racism magically vanishes once you are not allowed to talk about it in public.
    There is no law against discussing racism in public. There is a law against BEING racist in public. There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I dont know what makes me sick more, that people apologise for racism or this picture of the alledged ofender
    Can you put in a link to the picture with a warning that for the sake of our very souls we should not click on it?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's pretty out there and he probably shouldn't have been arrested.

Some people completely abuse freedom of speech though and use it as a defense to get their unbelievable racist/prejudice opinion out there. People picketing funerals when gay soldiers were killed. Nope sorry, that's freedom of speech.

No seriously, fuck you.

It swings both ways. Some people are too sensitive (as in the original article) while others let far too much shit go unchecked. I don't like either situation.

What I don't understand is what's the point of having the man arrested? Does it mollify the black player in any way? Does it give back to society in any way that is on par with the offense?

Some things are simply not arrest worthy, even if they're against the law. Making a point about the racial tension at a football match is one thing, but this is beyond point making and is simply wasting resources.

Chuck the guy out - ban him from sporting events for life - that's a far harsher, and much more meaningful punishment.

Arrest happy Brits are as bad as sue happy 'mericans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Didn't you people have freedom of speech zones so you could protest against George W. Bush's policies where he will never see you? Yeah that's your freedom of speech.
    You mean bullshit that was mocked nationwide and shut down? Yeah
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Racism is also not helpful in the advancement of a society.
    Neither is anti free-speech legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    It was a petty childish and yes, probably racist act. Should've just been banned from the stadiums and the obvious resulting consequences of being considered a racist by the community. Him being arrested is downright concerning.
    Maybe it is a bit extreme to arrest someone but if there's no precedent for it then whats to say that racist jeering of people will continue and get worse. An example has to be made and if anything it will set a precedent for future cases of racism of fans at football. It's something that should be stamped out and is a problem that is growing at an expenential rate in the UK at the moment

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykinoree
    I dont know what makes me sick more, that people apologise for racism or this picture of the alledged ofender, either way this guy wont go to prison, he wont get locked up, he'll get a fine and a caution, if i walked up to a black person in the street and made money chants and impressions id expect exactly the same. Free speech does not mean you're free to be a completely ignorant buffoon.
    Actually, it does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    You mean bullshit that was mocked nationwide and shut down? Yeah
    After cops manhandled people who dared to exercise their rights to freedom of speech and Bush stepped down from office?

Well atleast you still have patriot act to protect your rights. And guantanamo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Can you put in a link to the picture with a warning that for the sake of our very souls we should not click on it?
    done that for you :P

Deleted
    Relevant to the situation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm not against the idea of free speech in general, I just don't want to have groups that abuse it, like those nutjob "churches" that go fuck around at people's funerals, or the American Freedom Defence Initiative who put up those posters decrying muslims as savages etc. (which apparently many New Yorkers including a judge said were hate speech and therefore not covered by the first amendment) under the guise of free speech.
    Wailing your arms in a racist way in a crowd filled with people is indeed retarded, but is really not as bad as the Westboro church. I agree that those wackjobs should get locked up too. I don't want to go to Britain and get busted by the cops because my waving looks like a Hitler-greeting, however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    Maybe it is a bit extreme to arrest someone but if there's no precedent for it then whats to say that racist jeering of people will continue and get worse.
    Keep kicking out racists each time they do. Stadiums can come down as hard as they like.

An example has to be made and if anything it will set a precedent for future cases of racism of fans at football. It's something that should be stamped out and is a problem that is growing at an expenential rate in the UK at the moment
    No. Making an example of someone is also immoral. That's using someone as a means to a different end. When you make an example of someone you're punishing them for something they did not do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    Actually, it does.
    I worded that wrong, free speech does not mean you can break the law.

Racially aggravated offences are offences where the offender shows or is driven by racial hostility. They are offences where:

At the time of committing the offence, or immediately before or after doing so, the offender demonstrates hostility towards the victim based on the victim's membership (or presumed membership) of a racial group;
    Or the offence is motivated (wholly or partly) by hostility towards members of a racial group based on their membership of that group.

So there it is, you break the law you get arrested.

You guys actually support bullying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Racism is also not helpful in the advancement of a society.
    That's the point. You don't advance by covering the steaming pile of shit in powder and saying the problem is gone. You have to let society change through the warts and minds of people, not the heavy hand of the state.
    These people should be ridiculed by others, not arbitrarily locked up. That's part of why the drug war is so stupid here
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Sorry Brits, but if this keeps up I'm not visiting London any time soon.
    this guy is really smart. Britain is many countrys just like states. So please dont base stupid 1 event that happened in that ---- hole country they call England as a whole. If you want somewhere nice try North of Scotland. ( The place the queen visits the most )

The only reason they call it Britain is so that England can look good. If 1 country does something awesome its " Britain " If england does something awesome. Its just England. You not missing anything going there.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    this guy is really smart. Britain is many countrys just like states. So please dont base stupid 1 event that happened in that ---- hole country they call England as a whole. If you want somewhere nice try North of Scotland. ( The place the queen visits the most )

The only reason they call it Britain is so that England can look good. If 1 country does something awesome its " Britain " If england does something awesome. Its just England. You not missing anything going there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Wailing your arms in a racist way in a crowd filled with people is indeed retarded, but is really not as bad as the Westboro church. I agree that those wackjobs should get locked up too. I don't want to go to Britain and get busted by the cops because my waving looks like a Hitler-greeting, however.
    Now I feel pretty dumb.