Deleted

Garalon 10m normal

So we just spent around 2-3 hours on Garalon. We hit the enrage timer several times.
    I'm afraid i can't provide logs cause i messed up and deleted them by mistake..
    But on average we had 1 dps on 100k and the rest on 70-85k ish. I think we had 1 on 90k aswell. This was on our best try and we hit enrage at 8% hp.

I've read around that the circles around the legs which increases damage by 100%, they increase "all" damage? Including the damage you do on the boss normally? Or is it just the legs? Cause atm every dps focuses a leg when it comes, and nukes it down asap. Not sure if we're doing it properly like that.

Our setup was 2 tanks, 3 healers but we switched to 1 tank + 1 dps in tank gear and 3 healers.
    Healers said it wasn't a problem to have 1 dps in tank gear, he took a little bit more damage but not too serious and he uopped his dps by about 20-30k.

Anyone got tips on how to increase the "overall" dps on the boss?
    Btw, is combat rogue really, really good on that boss? I've heard they are but our rogue plays assassination, we've asked him to go combat but he did 20k less damage as combat, he says he's not used to that spec at all and prefers assassin.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    Combat rogues do around 120-200k DPS on that fight. (the large cap is considering iLvL)

Standing in the weak spot only increases damage to that specific leg by 100%. However, this is really beneficial for cleave classes such as rogues or even mages combust. For example, a mage can build a really big combust standing in the weak spot of one leg and then inferno blast it to the boss and 1 additional leg for massive damage.

Make sure your only switching pheromones at around 20+ stacks, to reduce the number of slams you get, therefore reducing the number of times your raid gets stuned.

Also try to make sure the people kiting the boss via pheromones are making sure the boss is rotating around the center of the room in a way that neither healers or ranged dps need to move at all. A good way to do this is to watch the purple circle under the boss, just have that circle rotate on around the center of the room.

Having your rog go combat would also be really good for even more cleavage.

Edit: If you aren't melee heavy, then also having some classes with mobile dps, like an ele sham or multi dot classes to follow legs in weak spots might be beneficial too, since the legs total health equates to 3% of the bosses health.
    Last edited by Durahal; 2012-11-05 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogelweide View Post
    Combat rogues do around 120-200k DPS on that fight. (the large cap is considering iLvL)
    That gap is largely due to strat differences. If you are going with a strat allowing near full uptime on legs for your combat rogue in order to maximize raid damage done he will be on the top end of that. If you are killing the legs quickly and the combat rogue is single targetting on the boss he will fall to the lower end of that. Certainly ilvl matters, but you don't go from 120k to 200k (a 66% gain) through ilvl alone.

@OP
    If he was doing less, his BF was probably not hitting the boss. You can stand inside the leg's circle and not be in BF range. Even with a 463 fist/sword mainhand he should be doing more as combat assuming proper play even if your raid isn't saving legs for cleaving.

Deleted
    We're only switching at 20-24 stacks or so. Never earlier.
    How does the legs benefit the dps "that" much then? Since you do 100% more damage on the leg, it doesn't matter if you would use an aoe that would hit both the leg and the boss, cause the leg will still take 100% damage and boss 0% extra damage.

Not sure how mages work but our mage is always topping dps meters so he must be doing something right. But our rogue who plays assassin is at around 70-80k. Should i tell him that he should learn to play combat? He has 478 ilvl, using the dmf trinket. So he should be atleast 100k as combat?
    When he played combat he couldn't get above 70k dps.

But am i totally wrong here about the legs? Am i doing wrong to focus them as soon as they come?

Combat is easy as hell, especially when BFing the whole fight. Have your Rogue switch. He needs to learn Combat anyway for the next two bosses (depending on strat). And he doesn't play Combat for SG? O.o

Let your Rogue have priority on legs so he can cleave the entire time. If he doesn't break at least 130k, something is wrong and you should just make him feint tank or sit bench until he learns to play. If you have anything else that can cleave like mad, let them have priority on legs as well.

Aside from that, do not touch legs without being in the weakened zones. It's the same as hitting the boss at that point and you're taking away potential bonus/cleave damage. Non-cleavers should only kill extra legs if you get too many.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2012-11-05 at 11:34 PM.

Deleted
    From what i've gathered here how would this tactic work?
    Assign my mage to one of the back legs, and assign my rogue to the other back leg. The rest of the dps + tanks will dps the 2 front legs and then on boss.
    This would make sure that the rogue would have alot more uptime on the legs, and the mage aswell.

Will this tactic be of any use or would it crash and burn?

Or should i put both the rogue and mage on one of the back legs, and then they both move to the other backleg? So that the first backleg can respawn.

The post above that one said something about getting a bonus 100% to the leg and 0% to the boss which is true for AE but not cleaves. Blade flurry and other cleaves mirror the 200% to the boss which is why its a raid dps gain to allow them to continue to do that the entire time.

Just put your cleavers all on 1 leg. You don't want to be leaving too many up, and you want to burn them all at the start. You can optionally leave up the front outer leg the entire time to prevent that one respawning on you as it is usually positioned where you can't safely cleave it. If another leg spawns, cleavers go to the new one and everyone finishes off the old one.

And if your rogue is pulling 70-80k on garalon as assassination and can't break 70k as combat, that is entirely user error.

My guild kited him off the wall so I (rogue) could have both of the outside legs the entire time. This caused issues with healing range, so our fistweaver followed me. Our mage would come over and combust when he had it, but we also used him to kite. Otherwise the ranged stood in the weakened spot on the inside legs and killed them when they popped.

I still ran out of legs occasionally with 2 assigned to me. 1 is not enough. Adjust your kiting strat so you can use the front outside leg.

10+ Year Old Account
    We killed it with no melee cleavers. We used 2 healers with enhance shaman doing a ton of passive healing. We went with 2 tanks, one of which kited at the start then rotated 4 ranged on pheromones after him (20 stacks then switch each).

The legs we kept up the front one closest to the wall. On the pull killed 2 at back then the other front leg. All dps kept those 3 legs down for easy kiting switching to body when possible or between leg mends.

We did spent just under ~8hrs hrs on this boss fine tuning / trying different tactics till we got one which fitted our setup though (QQ no faceroll melee cleavers). DPSers were between 60-100k and HPS was around 50-60k on both main healers - with the enh shaman pulling 30k HPS lol :s

When we did have a combat rogue in he would sit on the back leg nearest the wall on his own. With the rest of the dps focusing the inside legs / body.

Our setup was:
    Prot Warrior
    Prot Warrior
    Holy Pala
    Resto Druid
    Enh Sham
    WW Monk
    BM Hunter
    Fire Mage
    Affi Lock
    SPriest
    Last edited by Ujio; 2012-11-06 at 12:06 AM.
    (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴏwɴ sᴄʀᴜʙ (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง - (ง •̀_•́)ง ʏᴇᴀʜ ʙᴇᴀᴛ ɪᴛ! (ง •̀_•́)ง

Deleted
    This has been really helpful, thanks alot =)

You have two potential melee cleavers there, bud. Should have had your H Pally eat cleaves, both Wars go DPS and the best one cleave legs the entire time while the other one tanks cleaves. Mage should have broken 100k if he did legs correctly. You also could have adopted a multidot strat on legs in weakened zones for some great DPS (not cleave good, but pretty good). I imagine lock and SP could have broken 100k doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    You have two potential melee cleavers there, bud. Should have had your H Pally eat cleaves, both Wars go DPS and the best one cleave legs the entire time while the other one tanks cleaves. Mage should have broken 100k if he did legs correctly. You also could have adopted a multidot strat on legs in weakened zones for some great DPS (not cleave good, but pretty good). I imagine lock and SP could have broken 100k doing that.
    The Hpala was just filling in for our regular monk healer. I forget at what point each of our range was doing kiting but i guess with 2-3 legs down the majority of the time it would be hard to push to end the fight on 100k dps as well.

I do want to ask how much damage a dps warrior would take if he was eating the fury cleave though ? Because I did bring this up with my raid leader although with the boss down now i dunno how much merit i will gain by trying to change the tactic again.
    (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴏwɴ sᴄʀᴜʙ (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง - (ง •̀_•́)ง ʏᴇᴀʜ ʙᴇᴀᴛ ɪᴛ! (ง •̀_•́)ง

Deleted
    I went fury spec with tank gear. Only switched out weapons and shoulders. I took abit more damage than the tank, but nothing serious. Healers said that it wasn't a problem to heal me up.

does chain lightning work for the increased damage?

And if you have a hunter just make him go surv because pets wont get the weak spot buff because of a bug, making bm one of the worst specs for this fight.