Thread: Afflic DPS help

10+ Year Old Account

Afflic DPS help

So I typically play demo but last night since we just went and finished up farming MV I decided to try my hand at Afflic since I figure for some heroic fights it would be just stupid to not do them as Afflic (Elegon comes to mind).

Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-fm7v4qex58hmn5x1/

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../sayier/simple

That's the log from last night, ignore Garalon and Stone Guard, both of those I did as Demo. I haven't played Afflic since Tier 7 so any pointers would be appreciated.

Armory linked as well, it isn't exactly how it should be due to the new shoulders, typically I'm running hit capped, 4717 haste rating (lol haste breakpoints but I figured might as well use that as a good indicator to shoot for) with the left over reforge going to mastery. I know it's not exactly ideal setup for Afflic but again I typically play Demo and I'm trying to do a good balance between the two without gimping my main spec DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your mastery is very low and I notice that your Unstable Affliction damage is low on some attempts. As the quickest DoT to expire, it's one you need to keep tabs on constantly. I also see that your malefic grasp usage is a bit low. You want to fit in as many times as you can, especially during the full duration of a Haunt and when you have re-applied DoTs with major buffs. If you are confident in your reaction time and skill I would also recommend ignoring the hit cap. This will give you a lot more room to squeeze mastery in and in all the sims I've run for myself I show anywhere from a 3-6k dps increase. I'm a terrible person to compare to (since I don't raid seriously) but at ilevel 472 I can pull around 72k on Feng (best gauge I have really). I run 4717 haste, 8000+ mastery, ~2000 hit.

I also noticed on some of your attempts (Will in particular) you used Soul Swap: Exhale. I can't think of many reasons to use this. If your target is about to die anyway and you want to re-apply the dots to a new target, you are better off Drain Souling to get full shards. When I was first learning affliction I accidentally Exhaled a number of times. Perhaps that is happening to you? I think it's really a gear issue more than anything else though. It's plain to see that you switched from one spec to another. I wish it were that easy, but in most cases it's not.

Best of luck and have fun with your lock!

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Your mastery is very low and I notice that your Unstable Affliction damage is low on some attempts. As the quickest DoT to expire, it's one you need to keep tabs on constantly. I also see that your malefic grasp usage is a bit low. You want to fit in as many times as you can, especially during the full duration of a Haunt and when you have re-applied DoTs with major buffs. If you are confident in your reaction time and skill I would also recommend ignoring the hit cap. This will give you a lot more room to squeeze mastery in and in all the sims I've run for myself I show anywhere from a 3-6k dps increase. I'm a terrible person to compare to (since I don't raid seriously) but at ilevel 472 I can pull around 72k on Feng (best gauge I have really). I run 4717 haste, 8000+ mastery, ~2000 hit.

I also noticed on some of your attempts (Will in particular) you used Soul Swap: Exhale. I can't think of many reasons to use this. If your target is about to die anyway and you want to re-apply the dots to a new target, you are better off Drain Souling to get full shards. When I was first learning affliction I accidentally Exhaled a number of times. Perhaps that is happening to you? I think it's really a gear issue more than anything else though. It's plain to see that you switched from one spec to another. I wish it were that easy, but in most cases it's not.

I'm really curious what kinda of gear you have to have those stat numbers at 472...I'm not bashing you just really curious.

I am 478 and all of my stat points combined give me 15020, and that's including crit. The numbers you posted, 8000, 2000, 4700, put you at almost 15000 without your crit.

I only go for the 10% haste mark atm and stay around 11% hit but there's no way in hell I can reach 8000 mastery, so wondering how you did?

Thanks (mind posting a link to your armory?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dredlox View Post
    I'm really curious what kinda of gear you have to have those stat numbers at 472...I'm not bashing you just really curious.

I am 478 and all of my stat points combined give me 15020, and that's including crit. The numbers you posted, 8000, 2000, 4700, put you at almost 15000 without your crit.

I only go for the 10% haste mark atm and stay around 11% hit but there's no way in hell I can reach 8000 mastery, so wondering how you did?

Thanks (mind posting a link to your armory?)
    Sure, not a problem: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Induna/simple

Engineering cogwheels certainly help, but it's mostly being picky about gear. Most of what I have is mastery/haste and if when I have it my way all of it will be.

10+ Year Old Account

5% hit rating? I have a hard time believing you're pulling 72k on feng.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    I believe you will be better up just grabbing the 4198 (Time Warp UA/Corr Breakpoint). haste point, as your gear is very great - but not yet there in my opinion for 4717. I sim my char, and is at "about" the same gear lvl as you, and I get Int>Haste 4198>Mastery>Haste>Crit.

Hit is simmed lower for me, but I obtain it to minimize error.

Looking at my elegon log (from a few weeks back), I had worse gear than you (374) and did about 10 k more. I think thats duo to dot uptime.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=11095&e=11646 Mine.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=15447&e=15950 Your.

Dot uptime should be 90%+, yours is between 63%-86%

One thing that surprised me, is how strong SoC is. Il be sure to use that next time!

My haunt uptime was also 10% higher than yours, and malefic was 25% higher.

So, I am not sure what you do with those spare globals, but something you must be doing.

I only really life tap on the move, use portal to get to my spot (You can use that portal 2x instead of 1x, + place it on the edge, for jumpwin during Spark phase)).

Remember to use you haunt properly, that means you are "getting" your dots to 12 seconds + duration, and then Malefic through the entire Haunt.

Reason behind 11+ is flight time + refresh dot time. It could be around 10-12, but 12 feels safer. Also, don't refresh UA before 7 seconds left, Corr before 9 seconds left, and Agony 12 seconds, to get full benefit of Pandemic. Haunt can be clipped to, as 2 secs Haunt+8 secs Haunt = 10 seconds. I don't believe it works further than that tho. This makes the second time hit for 25% more dmg (: If this is an dps increase over not clipping, I do not know tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    5% hit rating? I have a hard time believing you're pulling 72k on feng.
    I don't want to derail this into a "he said, she said", but if you run a SimulationCraft on my armory I usually get around 76-77k. 72k after an execute phase is most definitely possible. As affliction, we don't even lose that much dps during Feng's specials if we make sure all dots are on and we are in the middle of a MG. Not hit capping is also the highest theoretical DPS. I'm not here to impress however. Just sharing my experiences as Affliction and trying to help a fellow 'lock out.

I don't want to derail this into a "he said, she said", but if you run a SimulationCraft on my armory I usually get around 76-77k. 72k after an execute phase is most definitely possible. As affliction, we don't even lose that much dps during Feng's specials if we make sure all dots are on and we are in the middle of a MG. Not hit capping is also the highest theoretical DPS. I'm not here to impress however. Just sharing my experiences as Affliction and trying to help a fellow 'lock out.

o/ I believe in you!

The other lock im my guild it's running 8% hit rating and he did 98k and me with 15% hit rating I did 81k.

Awesome hum???

Blizzard change the f.... hit rating, it's awful and stressfull see locks running with 8-10% and pawning meters.

It's 6k dps increase... another " legendary"? or you give low hit rating to us(warlock) or you pick a solution to fix this...

Deleted
    i think your main and offhander is bringing you down a lot, and you have quite a lot of crit that you have no use for as afflic. i would get the wand from mogu'shan vaults eventho i know it bugs your demon form but there are ways to get past that by making a stopattack macro(altho it does give you a small dps decrease) for example and get the inscribtion offhand, then you have the perfect gear and it wont be your gear's fault. Also i wouldnt take the ppl here that claim that you shouldnt go for hit coz its been simmed lower than other stats and this is completely true, but what they dont use is their common sense and they forget that unless they are a machine capable of recasting a dot instantly when a miss is registered, hit wont sim that low in reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slight necro (this is what I get for forgetting about making posts).

@aikoyamamato Ya unstable affliction definitely is a lot harder to keep up then I remember it being. As for the malefic grasp I don't really see how I can fit more in if it's what I'm always spamming when not refreshing dots. I know being under hit cap sims to being a DPS increase I just don't see it though, especially for afflic. You miss a haunt or a SB:SS it seems like you would lose so much damage. During will I didn't realize that if something died while you drain souled you gained full shards, so I was spending a lot of soul swaps trying to take dots from one target to another that way rather then getting full shards and SB:SS.

@Faylo I don't remember exactly why but I do remember that Elegon kill being particularly bad all around, then again I looked at my log from this week that I thought went overall better (other then I died at the end) however my DoT uptime wasn't too much better. As for SoC that the whole reason I'm trying to learn Afflic is for Phase 2 of Heroic Elegon. Keep full dots up on Elegon and then SB:SoC right before he releases the charges then spam SoC and you can practically kill the charges on your own (with Mannoroth's Fury).

Is it only aff that can ignore hit and get such results?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qly View Post
    Is it only aff that can ignore hit and get such results?
    Yes, Destro and Demo have a higher priority for Hit. Affliction has pretty much instant re-do of all it's spells, so a miss doesn't weigh very much. Now imagine missing a Chaos Bolt as Destro....not a good idea.