Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wind Lord Mel'jarak: CC rotation and raid composition.

Hey guys.

My guild is currently busy with Wind Lord Mel'jarak (10 man). We are having a few issues selecting which strat to use (1 or 2 tank) and what CC rotation to use. We decided to CC 1 trapper, 2 blademasters, and 1 mender in the start, and then nuke trapper down. Then CC 1 mender and 1 blademaster, nuke the blademaster, and then the mender.

We are currently using 2 tanks (prot warrior (normally DPS) and a protection paladin) and 2 healers (mistweaver and holy pally). Our best attempt was 30% and with 1 minute 40 seconds left on the enrage. Someone then stood on a mine and boom.

We only raid 2 times per week and we only had 1 h 30 minutes on the boss. I just wanted to find out if the CC rotation and raid composition we are using is optimal.

Could we not perhaps 1 tank it? If we do 1 tank it, what would be the best CC and kill rotation? Any hints or advise would be welcome. ^^

Optimally, at what % should the boss be when the last adds die?

Current raid composition: Prot/Arms warrior, prot pally, rogue, fire mage, lock, 2xSP, holy pally, hunter, mistweaver.

Thank you!

Regards.

Im not exactly sure how we cc'd but I know we used 1 tank + 3 healers. You only need 1 tank since there is no debuff etc to switch on, and the dmg in the last phase from rain of blades is pretty sick so u probably need 3 healers for that if their not sick geared. I think we started CC like 2 trappers + blademasters.

we used

1 tank dk
    holy pala, healing monk, holy priest
    warrior, hunter, rouge, warlock, ele shammy.
    Last edited by heltvild; 2012-11-06 at 07:45 AM.

Thank you for the response, the first adds you cc'd, does that mean you killed the menders adds first?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    One tank, three healers.

We CC'd 2 menders and 2 blademasters and burned the one mender we had in the group first (leaving us with the 2 blademasters still CC'd, so noone ever had to switch CC targets). Burn the trappers next, then the blademasters. You may have to let someone sit in a prison for a little while waiting for the debuff to fall off everyone. We 2-shot the boss with this method.

That said, this is probably not the easiest method as one melee dps can easily interrupt a mender alone, and even having all 3 blademasters up is pretty safe if people aren't eating whirling blade damage. If you're slow about breaking traps or don't have enough gear to kill the adds quickly, just cc 2 trappers 1 blademaster and 1 mender. Kill the trapper first so your CCs aren't breaking and running around.
    Last edited by Flustered; 2012-11-06 at 08:18 AM.

We 1-tanked 3-healed this. CC'ed one trapper one charger and 2 menders (not sure why, cba interupting^^) We just gathered everything and AoE'd, all packs died at pretty much the same time, although we made sure not to have 3 chargers left last. From a healer PoV 2 chargers is really extremely chill, CC-ing 2 trappers help since traps took a couple of seconds with 2 up sometimes. I hear menders aren't exactly hard to solo-interupt.

Basically if heals are going through I'd CC another mender instead of a blademaster. I'd think 1tank 3heal is more stable so maybe try that, if you have enrage problem you can go with CCing one of each instead of 4 for a little extra AoE. Or since you have 2 SP you could just go with glyphed vampiric embrace through the AoE after the adds die and 2heal.

I guess ideally the boss should be at 80% when the last dies, although it doesn't seem to matter a lot as long as he's above 75%.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Responses in this thread make me think that which adds you choose to CC is ultimately irrelevant in normal mode.

What a surprise.

Hmmm.. seems the 1 tank option is the better one, with 3 healers. Also seems each guild does it differently when it comes to the adds.

Thanks for responses thus far, going to link my officers to the thread.

Tempted to not CC any next time ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Flustered View Post
    Responses in this thread make me think that which adds you choose to CC is ultimately irrelevant in normal mode.

What a surprise.
    Yeah. Every guild should have to do every fight exactly the same way.

/truth

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rarw View Post
    Tempted to not CC any next time ^_^
    Goodluck with the big ass add that will oneshot your clothies like they're nothing next time

Serious answer; We had 3 healers 1 tank and CC'd 2 ambers (we found the CC annoying) and one of both others. AOE'd em all down, attempting to kill the all at the same time. Aslong as the big add (blademaster or something? :x) isn't the last left there shouldnt be any "instagibs"

After that cooldown rotations for every blade rain thingy and you're golden.

We did 1 tank/2 heals. Warrior and Monk/Shaman. CC'd one trapper, two blademasters, and one mender. Killed menders first, then cc'd one blademaster and one trapper. The blademasters died next, but the trappers died within a few seconds thereafter. We had the boss at right about 78% when the last adds died. Once the first set of adds dies make sure your rogue and mage are cleaving off of the boss to take advantage of the damage buff.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    PW:S > Blademasters. As long as your raiders don't have 350k hp buffed, they should easily survive. Of course, this assumes mobs aren't buffed by Menders.

Quote Originally Posted by snorecb View Post
    Our best attempt was 30% and with 1 minute 40 seconds left on the enrage. Someone then stood on a mine and boom.
    Sounds like you don't actually have a problem. Do what you did, get there again, and don't stand on the bombs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flustered View Post

What a surprise.

This^^ I don't think it matters much, it's about what you prefer. We went with 1 tank, 3 melee (tank OS), 4 ranged and 2 healers. We just cleaved the shit out of the adds, didn't have issue breaking out people, the tank would just help out if needed.

Once all adds are dead, just have your whole raid get behind the boss, so that your tank can kite the boss away from the bombs. Sort a raid wall rotation and have people use their own personal CD's as well as hybrids using off heals. Pop BL when everyone's positioned behind the boss and just nuke the crap out of him.

2 tank / 2 heals. We CCed 2 trappers, 1 blademaster and 1 healer, the goal being to down the blademasters ASAP but your choice is completely valid.

We killed him with more than 1 min left on enrage. Don't focus on 1 add, just AoE for the entire duration of phase 1 and you'll be good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    This^^ I don't think it matters much, it's about what you prefer. We went with 1 tank, 3 melee (tank OS), 4 ranged and 2 healers. We just cleaved the shit out of the adds, didn't have issue breaking out people, the tank would just help out if needed.

Once all adds are dead, just have your whole raid get behind the boss, so that your tank can kite the boss away from the bombs. Sort a raid wall rotation and have people use their own personal CD's as well as hybrids using off heals. Pop BL when everyone's positioned behind the boss and just nuke the crap out of him.
    Dont people get 1 shot when stacked behind of the boss because of the Whirling Blades in last phase?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus93 View Post
    Dont people get 1 shot when stacked behind of the boss because of the Whirling Blades in last phase?
    Not that I did it this way, but his sword throw isn't a one shot - it's two hits and only if you get hit by both you'll actually die. Unless, of course, you detonated a bomb or something just before that.

Not to mention there's that "I'm turning in your direction and getting ready to throw my blade, please stand there and let it kill you" animation that lets you avoid it entirely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Not to mention there's that "I'm turning in your direction and getting ready to throw my blade, please stand there and let it kill you" animation that lets you avoid it entirely.
    I found it easiest to avoid by moving to his "Left" Arm (the one that isn't carrying the weapon) @ the throw and then moving to his "Right" Arm when he's getting ready to catch. Since the throw isn't a straight line but a bit of an arc.

We 1 tanked 3 healed. The enrage was tight since we lost our 2 best dps to drama the night before but we still made it. CD rotation is key in p2.

Deleted
    2tank 3heal CC 2 menders 1 BM 1Trapper and AoE, killing the mender first.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/tv6kd.../?s=864&e=1316
    Last edited by mmoce213c955fb; 2012-11-06 at 03:00 PM.