Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Resto, Heart of Fear advice.

Hey, there.

I kinda wanted some advice from other Resto Shamans and their opinion on Heart of Fear.
    I joined a new guild, whom I very much love the people in, and yesterday was my first time raiding with them. They have so much more experience with each other, and higher ilvl then I have at the moment. I don't see myself as a bad healer, easily topping hps at most times, but I came to wonder if I am doing something wrong or I just lack the gear and experience on the bosses while they already had evenings on the bosses.

So I joined Blade Lord last night, I watched tons of movies so knew what to expect, except the overal dmg. First phase I hardly had anything to heal up, Healing Wave, Riptide here and there, but other healers were like 50% higher on hps. I only shined on Unseen Strike, putting down Healing Rain and HST. On Second phase i had some issues, not that I get hit by tornadoes, somehow I started first and ended last. >.> I think my real healing place is at second phase and I'm expected to be very low in phase one.

After downing Blade Lord, I felt bit afwull... Then on Garalon I was doing the complete opposite, I was outhealing most of them, topping a few tries. I only seem to be able to do so when ranged is actually stacked up and I can use Healing Rain on them, while spamming Chain Heal (which imo heals more then other abilities do)

So my question is, how you experience healing Garalon and Blade Lord? Am I just lacking gear/inexperienced or am I just worrying over nothing? : P

(No, I'm not overdoing it with spirit, I already changed gems around for more Intellect, and refuse to reforge to Spirit. I think I just lack gear, others got 15ilvl higher and 2-3k more spellpower.)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-70sbk9dgga3gx5i3/
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cathina/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    My thing is: as long as people aren't dieing because of lack of healing (instead are dieing to failing to follow mechanics correctly or their own mistakes) then all of the healers are doing their job and it doesn't matter where on the healing chart you sit. Any good raid leader knows HPS means nothing when it comes to judging overall healing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zshikara View Post
    My thing is: as long as people aren't dieing because of lack of healing (instead are dieing to failing to follow mechanics correctly or their own mistakes) then all of the healers are doing their job and it doesn't matter where on the healing chart you sit. Any good raid leader knows HPS means nothing when it comes to judging overall healing.
    Yep, I know. I'm not worried for underperforming at this point as it's a new raiding atmosphere. Just thought I'd could use some advice, on what other Resto Shaman experienced and what I could learn from it.

Well if mana isn't an issue for you than you might not be as aggressive at healing than some of the other members. Don't be afraid to sometimes over heal because you do give your target +max health and crits heal other nearby members. I see good uptimes on your healing stream totems which many shamans have yet to figure out.
    Blade lord overall is not an extremely shaman friendly fight and favors healers more like pallys in the first phase. When transitioning during phase two it seems that you didn't always use spiritwalkers grace which is huge and using a HTT while moving to reach the boss tends to help pad meters because very few other classes have a passive giant raid heal. When you reach the blade lord in phase two always have healing rain down. If your mastery is over 45 ish percent it is insanely good at keeping the raid at a healthy level of healing.

Overall just looking at the logs the active time of you constantly casting a spell i think would hurt your HPS and output. I tend to find that fake casting heals on tanks and/or high priority targets tends to help in HPS because it allows for quicker responses. Will say though that your disc priest is pretty boss and monks welll they are just monks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathina View Post
    Yep, I know. I'm not worried for underperforming at this point as it's a new raiding atmosphere. Just thought I'd could use some advice, on what other Resto Shaman experienced and what I could learn from it.
    No doubt. We have a lot of very experienced resto shammies here. I just wanted to give you that boost of self confidence because it looked like you needed it ^_^.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Germ4npride View Post
    Well if mana isn't an issue for you than you might not be as aggressive at healing than some of the other members. Don't be afraid to sometimes over heal because you do give your target +max health and crits heal other nearby members. I see good uptimes on your healing stream totems which many shamans have yet to figure out.
    Blade lord overall is not an extremely shaman friendly fight and favors healers more like pallys in the first phase. When transitioning during phase two it seems that you didn't always use spiritwalkers grace which is huge and using a HTT while moving to reach the boss tends to help pad meters because very few other classes have a passive giant raid heal. When you reach the blade lord in phase two always have healing rain down. If your mastery is over 45 ish percent it is insanely good at keeping the raid at a healthy level of healing.

Overall just looking at the logs the active time of you constantly casting a spell i think would hurt your HPS and output. I tend to find that fake casting heals on tanks and/or high priority targets tends to help in HPS because it allows for quicker responses. Will say though that your disc priest is pretty boss and monks welll they are just monks.
    Thanks for awesome information. On first try I used Spiritwalkers Grace while spamming Chain Heal, but it got me so on the back of the group which panicked me, I died due to lack of healing too, since I didn't got hit by a single tornado. I think in other runs I did put a Stream Totem down in middle, but I think I was panicking some more that I just tried to focus on surviving instead of healing. I'm sure I'll do better next time now that I got the hang off it.

About the active healing, ye I basically heal when someone is taking dmg, I don't literally spam heals on people that don't need it. According to my bf I think reason why Priest/Pala's are higher is due to absorb, and Druid's stronger hots perhaps.

Thanks for awesome information. On first try I used Spiritwalkers Grace while spamming Chain Heal, but it got me so on the back of the group which panicked me, I died due to lack of healing too, since I didn't got hit by a single tornado.
    When my guild was working on this /practicing for heroic attempts. I found it very helpful to run behind a lock or a hunter and focus on them while also maintaining my healing. Chain healing is good if the tank is in range with ES and Riptide rolling for 40% bonus healing. I think that if you can find a good reliable person to stay behind and mirror in phase two you will be golden on that boss.

Deleted
    I'll see next time we do Blade Lord, since we got that boss down, I better focus on Garalon tbh. I just feel weird having Healin Rain and Chain heal be my highest, like any other spell is weaker. Just need to make sure every ranged is stacked up or my healing will be pointless.

You really do need more spirit and you really need to use your riptide far more. The thing is you have to pretend your a druid, see that somebody has took damage ill hot them with riptide and keep healing rain down almost all the time. You are also in the logs not really using your cds more than once a fight and also need to focus on using your unleashed more often as it now works with healing rain so its extremely useful to use it every time you rain. But your combat regen and mastery are just so low. I am current on last boss in heart of fear sitting on 12k combat regen and 7k mastery as most bosses have huge damage spikes so I'm finding mastery to be the best choice after regen. You are only on 10.8k combat regen with 2 spirit trinkets (I only have 1.) If you can try to pick up pvp epic gloves they have decent stats and a socket which is most important.

Crit is great for regen but at end of day spirit is better than crit for regen and I am finding mastery is better than crit for output by miles just due to how the bosses are designed around spike damage and big hits that require being healed up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongy View Post
    You really do need more spirit and you really need to use your riptide far more. The thing is you have to pretend your a druid, see that somebody has took damage ill hot them with riptide and keep healing rain down almost all the time. You are also in the logs not really using your cds more than once a fight and also need to focus on using your unleashed more often as it now works with healing rain so its extremely useful to use it every time you rain. But your combat regen and mastery are just so low. I am current on last boss in heart of fear sitting on 12k combat regen and 7k mastery as most bosses have huge damage spikes so I'm finding mastery to be the best choice after regen. You are only on 10.8k combat regen with 2 spirit trinkets (I only have 1.) If you can try to pick up pvp epic gloves they have decent stats and a socket which is most important.

Crit is great for regen but at end of day spirit is better than crit for regen and I am finding mastery is better than crit for output by miles just due to how the bosses are designed around spike damage and big hits that require being healed up.
    I do not know how you read Logs, but I never use Healing Rain without Unleash Elements. I use my cooldowns (atleast my totems) every fight, Ascendance too, but I ain't using it when no one is taking dmg that is pointless. >.>

Do not be fooled with Armory, I got 13k combat regen and 6k mastery in raid. Armory always shows 2k less combat regen then that you really have in game.
    Last edited by mmoc783674ddb9; 2012-11-06 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongy View Post

You only need more spirit if you are indeed using riptide more. Riptide is a mana sink, and should not be used on CD. This isn't cata. Riptide is a chain buff really now. You're better off using the CD's for slow HW + HST. Riptide comes after those in priority. And as to the idea of more spirit being the solution to problems. I'm raiding with 5k buffed and not having mana problems on any fight so far. Healing ability > mana regen

Heck, last point is core above all else. I could take pure parry gems, and still put up better than average numbers. Learn the fight and proper times to use what ability, and you will do well. Gearing in list of priorities isn't close to the top.

to the op, I'll give you a couple tips tho.

#1) Totemic recall glyph is mandatory. By FAR it's our best glyph. 100k+ mana on every fight from it. Nothing else comes close.

#2) Uleashed fury sucks. Primal elementalist is far superior.

doubleedit: couple things jump out at your logs. Your HTT and ascendence numbers feel super low. Are you using them properly? And your HW and Riptide numbers are also low. But your healing stream is quite high, which is good. (But bad considering the ~200k mana you lose from casting it without TR) I'm getting the feeling during P1 you're using HR and and chain a lot instead of a more feasible HW + Rip.
    Last edited by Jynus; 2012-11-06 at 04:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynus View Post
    You only need more spirit if you are indeed using riptide more. Riptide is a mana sink, and should not be used on CD. This isn't cata. Riptide is a chain buff really now. You're better off using the CD's for slow HW + HST. Riptide comes after those in priority. And as to the idea of more spirit being the solution to problems. I'm raiding with 5k buffed and not having mana problems on any fight so far. Healing ability > mana regen

Heck, last point is core above all else. I could take pure parry gems, and still put up better than average numbers. Learn the fight and proper times to use what ability, and you will do well. Gearing in list of priorities isn't close to the top.

to the op, I'll give you a couple tips tho.

#1) Totemic recall glyph is mandatory. By FAR it's our best glyph. 100k+ mana on every fight from it. Nothing else comes close.

#2) Uleashed fury sucks. Primal elementalist is far superior.

doubleedit: couple things jump out at your logs. Your HTT and ascendence numbers feel super low. Are you using them properly? And your HW and Riptide numbers are also low. But your healing stream is quite high, which is good. (But bad considering the ~200k mana you lose from casting it without TR) I'm getting the feeling during P1 you're using HR and and chain a lot instead of a more feasible HW + Rip.
    My HTT is used every fight when everyone is below 50%, my Ascendance might be low, because isn't it why cooldowns are for for when things get rough? I used it a lot on Garalon, we had no fight in where I could use my cooldowns twice. And like said I panicked on Blade Lord, so I know I did big mistakes there which I'll correct next time.

I read about Totemic Recall being a good glyph, but somehow I just feel uneasy by kicking off a tick from either of my Healing totems. >.>
    I do think I'm going to kick Telluric Turrents for Mana Shield one.

Oh... in phase one I was trying different things because it was new, once Unseek Strike went I put down a Healing Rain on boss, so most people would get hit by it. I used HW and Riptide most of all in phase one, but like I said it was complete new fight for me so I had to experiment. I couldn't outheal any other healer, because of their absorb so think I'll just wait till Unseek Strike and Lightning Bolt rest...

I agree a lot with what Jynus says, even though s/he and I don't see completely eye to eye on Spirit I was going to say the same thing - your usage of Healing Tide Totem is low. In a seven minute fight, it should be used twice, maybe three times. You're correct in thinking that you should use it when people have taken damage, but you have to realize that Blizzard balanced our hps around it. So...if you don't use it, you're bound to be low. The same is true with Ascendance.

I would love to use the glyph of Totemic Recall, but I'm not consistent in recalling so I'd rather use the water shield glyph. However, if you take a look on the Elitistjerks Resto Shama Guide, there's a table that indicates which fights the WS glyph will be beneficial and which aren't. Not all the fights does it come out as a mana gain.

Looking at your logs, I noticed that your mana back on Water Shield was only 8k. Surely, it dropped off. That seems extremely low even if it's not glyphed. I was just curious if you have something to monitor your WS buff.

Like Jynus said, I wouldn't recommend Unleashed Fury for this fight. I only use that talent when my assignment is a tank and they're taking a ton of damage.

Someone mentioned something about not being afraid to overheal. They obviously didn't look that closely at your logs, since your overheal is over 50% for the kill. I think as you get more comfortable with the fight, it'll be easier to be strategic about what healing spells to use.

Great job on the healing stream usage. That's something I need to work on!

EDIT: Sure enough, I looked up the Ta'yak fight and that is one that needs the WS glyph on. That explains why the mana back is so low on those attempts.
    Last edited by Mavalynn; 2012-11-06 at 04:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    I agree a lot with what Jynus says, even though s/he and I don't see completely eye to eye on Spirit I was going to say the same thing - your usage of Healing Tide Totem is low. In a seven minute fight, it should be used twice, maybe three times. You're correct in thinking that you should use it when people have taken damage, but you have to realize that Blizzard balanced our hps around it. So...if you don't use it, you're bound to be low. The same is true with Ascendance.

I would love to use the glyph of Totemic Recall, but I'm not consistent in recalling so I'd rather use the water shield glyph. However, if you take a look on the Elitistjerks Resto Shama Guide, there's a table that indicates which fights the WS glyph will be beneficial and which aren't. Not all the fights does it come out as a mana gain.

Looking at your logs, I noticed that your mana back on Water Shield was only 8k. Surely, it dropped off. That seems extremely low even if it's not glyphed. I was just curious if you have something to monitor your WS buff.

Like Jynus said, I wouldn't recommend Unleashed Fury for this fight. I only use that talent when my assignment is a tank and they're taking a ton of damage.

Someone mentioned something about not being afraid to overheal. They obviously didn't look that closely at your logs, since your overheal is over 50% for the kill. I think as you get more comfortable with the fight, it'll be easier to be strategic about what healing spells to use.

Great job on the healing stream usage. That's something I need to work on!

EDIT: Sure enough, I looked up the Ta'yak fight and that is one that needs the WS glyph on. That explains why the mana back is so low on those attempts.
    Thanks, I got my Water Shield on every fight obviously, I would be noob without it. : p I'm suprised about the HST comments, there are fair few fights I use it less then I did yesterday, I guess it all depends. And ye, in due time I'll get used to the mechanics and know what to heal. I'll try use HTT and Asendance more in future.

Deleted
    I would believe my healing is doing a lot better in msv, probably because I know the fights. I get oom a lot more then other healers, but that's prob because of newity (if word) to 25 mans. I'll get Telluric Currents back as I seem to do better with that then Shield, too much phases I can regen mana, while HR does the trick.

I got the Primal Elementalist now also, and love it, I try use my cooldowns every cooldown now, so ye that puts me to the top so it's surely my lack of cd usage.

I would believe my healing is doing a lot better in msv, probably because I know the fights. I get oom a lot more then other healers, but that's prob because of newity (if word) to 25 mans. I'll get Telluric Currents back as I seem to do better with that then Shield, too much phases I can regen mana, while HR does the trick.

I got the Primal Elementalist now also, and love it, I try use my cooldowns every cooldown now, so ye that puts me to the top so it's surely my lack of cd usage.
    Ironically, there was an article on wowinsider today that discussed rshaman's dependency on their cd's and how if you don't use them, your hps will suffer. As well as our mastery and it's dependency on people being low health. That if people aren't taking the spike damage, or we don't find that there's enough damage to warrant our cd's, we're gimped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    Ironically, there was an article on wowinsider today that discussed rshaman's dependency on their cd's and how if you don't use them, your hps will suffer. As well as our mastery and it's dependency on people being low health. That if people aren't taking the spike damage, or we don't find that there's enough damage to warrant our cd's, we're gimped.
    This is nothing new. We're built for fights where there is large massive burst periodically. And thats fine, there are always a few of those fights in every tier. As cool as it would be to have every tool for every situation, I don't like the idea of one class being able to do everything. Why bring other healers then. That said, I also agree that our CD's are too dam good. I would like to see CD's nerfed in exchange for primary healing buffed to compensate. I always hated the idea of a 'I win' smart heal CD... Like the feel of targeted heals for healing style much better.

Deleted
    IMHO your biggest problem is your raid composition: too much hots and shield :P

More spirit is worthless (you have more than enough), spamming riptide aswell (we are NOT druids), you just have to manage better your cd/abilities (you said you panicked so with more experience you'll do your job better) and use them only when really needed (and not to top recount).

IMHO you could do better but not that better because shields and hots will kill your hps.

Deleted
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...m/healingDone/

Well, this is me on yesterday. : )
    And ye, like I already said I only use Riptide more on fights where I can't place a Healing Rain, like yesterday on Garalon 10man, we downed him btw. ^^ I do not prefer more Spirit at this point, it'll come with gear either way, since upgrades give like 100-200 spirit more, so I can change my gems to stat+stat ones. I don't care about topping meters, I just don't wanna be last either, but I think it's because I was using my cooldowns for people under 50% instead of using it more.

And ye, before I joined the guild they had like three HPaladins, one Disc Priest and three Resto Druids, so lot's of hots/shields. :P