Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I'm not saying that he can't/shouldn't be confident in himself, I'm merely trying to show why short people are annoyed about being short, since you asked me about it. Sure, I'm not short compared to the OP, but when you mingle with a group of 6 footers at my height you still feel like the runt. You can ignore it and not let it get to you, and you can be confident and be happy, but it's still there. You're the smallest, even though you might be the hardest working or have the best brains and personality. Height is associated with attractiveness, strength, dominance, and while you may be all of those things, a taller guy gets it without working as hard for it, and it gets irksome.

There's no reason why you can't be confident as a shorter man, but it's certainly more difficult. Wouldn't it be better to be simply born as a tall male who'd never have to worry about petty things like this, instead of a short male who has to learn to suck it up?
    If you're happy and confident, then what does it matter? You still haven't discussed why being short will lead to someone who would otherwise find you attract will ignore you. Do you know of any such case? Is this really a deal-breaker? I'm not put off if a woman is taller than me. Sure, I suppose it's a gender stereotype, but I still don't understand why you're worrying about something that you've already stated cannot be changed. So why fret about it? The notion of it being easier is a silly point to make, in my opinion, just as it would be easier to be born rich. I guess it would be preferred to be born so, but you can't. So...who cares? This discussion [height] is comparable to the point I made earlier about women and the size of their breasts; both a gender stereotype, and a shallow point to discriminate against.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post

So, I can quite assure you that its not the end of the world. I learned early, that if you dont like yourself, you cant expect others to either.
    This.

If you can't get yourself better then maybe you should talk to a professional.

I've had problems accepting myself for very long. I am 28 now. What a waste of time that was. I decided that I am just going to be happy and not care about what others think. I know it's not that simple for everyone.

Do EFT on your height, persist and stick with it. As someone said before, it's only a problem if you think it's a problem. EFT its very efficient practical tool to eliminate your beliefs, forever. You probably won't grow anymore, but you can change the perspective of your problem. It's the only thing that matter.

Tattoos is your answer, obvious.

Keyboard Turner
    Not trying to sound rude or patronizing, but out of curiosity what race did you play in WoW?

Infraction.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-06 at 10:16 PM.

Get buffed. 5 feet tall guys can go bear mode very easily. Shave your head, get a lot of tattoos and buy a Harley.

You'll get more biker chicks than any other guy on this board.

Fuck height. I am 190cm tall (6'2.8") and I had to live through insults and jokes, too.

"How's the weather up there, giraffe?"

I don't even want to talk about the amounts of food I have to eat to gain 1kg or how long and intense I have to train to achieve visible results. Horrible.

That you are a virgin doesnt have anything to do with your height. It's all about confidence. Build it up by changing your style if it bothers you that much.

As for looking older, just don't clean shave anymore. I look like 16 if I shave my face completely clean. Since I started using electrical "three days beard" shaver I always have this "manly" looking dark on my face which makes me finally look my original age of 24 years.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-11-06 at 11:55 AM.

If Danny DeVito can do it, so can you....take this advice with you.
    Waaaaah this guy was mean to me! Waaaaaaaaah!

I'm mean because you're stupid.

Shit, I'm jealous of this guy's height. I'm not even tall by most standards (5'10" or so) and have mostly, for some reason, wished I were shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    If Danny DeVito can do it, so can you....take this advice with you.
    I love me some Danny DeVito. Own it, be funny, be confident; all the things we've been echoing, and you'll be "successful", OP.

get stilts, problem solved.
    or stop worrying about what everyone else thinks about you.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    If you're happy and confident, then what does it matter? You still haven't discussed why being short will lead to someone who would otherwise find you attract will ignore you. Do you know of any such case? Is this really a deal-breaker? I'm not put off if a woman is taller than me. Sure, I suppose it's a gender stereotype, but I still don't understand why you're worrying about something that you've already stated cannot be changed. So why fret about it? The notion of it being easier is a silly point to make, in my opinion, just as it would be easier to be born rich. I guess it would be preferred to be born so, but you can't. So...who cares? This discussion [height] is comparable to the point I made earlier about women and the size of their breasts; both a gender stereotype, and a shallow point to discriminate against.
    I'm not going to put down many case studies that show favor usually leans to being tall. You're being ignorant to deny that there is that bias. Height is one of the greater subtle factors that influences how you are perceived at first glance.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

I'm not going to put down many case studies that show favor usually leans to being tall. You're being ignorant to deny that there is that bias. Height is one of the greater subtle factors that influences how you are perceived at first glance.
    Yeah, people think I am a basketball player. Woo, fucking, hoo.

I still think that confidence can overcome shortness. Many people have already proven it.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Yeah, people think I am a basketball player. Woo, fucking, hoo.

I still think that confidence can overcome shortness. Many people have already proven it.
    Outliers do not account for the generalities. Taller people make more money, are stronger, happier, smarter, and are perceived as more attractive. Yes, you can overcome being short and have confidence, and even defy the trends, but it's still a hurdle you must go through with everyday life that does not apply to tall people. Ignoring that there is a difference is more demeaning to short people than not.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-11-06 at 12:21 PM.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

High Overlord
    You know the phrase, big man, little wiener - little man, big wiener? Go show them you're a full grown man in another place ..

I wanted to post an image, but forum didn't let me. It's a small cat looking in the mirror and seeing the reflection of a lion!!

I follow the forums and the website everyday to see news about patch notes and WoW, however I created a forum account just to reply to you. I am 24 years old and I'm 5'1. I don't know how much I weight in pounds because I live in Brazil and we use kilograms, but today I'm at 70kgs.

All my life I was if not the shortest, the second shortest in my classes, however I never let this affect me. I was fat and short for pretty much the majority of my life, but I used my qualities to my advantage. I have a 130 IQ and I was great at sports, I was the volleyball team and football team captain in grade 7, which helped me a lot on my confidence levels. In high school I had to stop playing volleyball due to my height but I started playing badminton and was the school mvp during the 4 years of high school. It's about finding something in yourself which makes you better than others, sure you are not tall, but you probably have other qualities.

Life is great because we have all these differences... Anyways, regarding relationships, I had a tough time, reaaally tough time with the gurls... it's not easy, however since I knew I wasn't going to get any taller, I decided to lose some weight. I live next to a park, and I decided I would run 40 minutes a day, from November/11 to March/12, and I lost 10kgs (22 pounds). I didn't get any taller, but I felt much better and even more confident, and I felt like girls started checking me out.

Anyways, I have been dating since March, she's my height and I feel great. I know I'll never be taller than what I am today, but we gotta use what we have to our advantage. I wish you the best. If you wanna add me on msn or facebook to chat, let me know.

Outliers do not account for the generalities. Taller people make more money, are stronger, happier, smarter, and are perceived as more attractive. Yes, you can overcome being short and have confidence, and even defy the trends, but it's still a hurdle you must go through with everyday life that does not apply to tall people. Ignoring that there is a difference is more demeaning to short people than not.
    I know *sadface*. But I think both extremes ( being too short or too tall ) can negatively affect ones life. OP has to stop looking at the negative sides of being short and start accepting the way he is and make the most out of it.

Watch this and if u still tell me about fucked up situation I dont know what else can be done
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xMrra6mZA
    I read somewhere that their periods attract bears. ... You hear that, Ed? BEARS! Now you are putting the whole station in jeopardy

I'm not going to put down many case studies that show favor usually leans to being tall. You're being ignorant to deny that there is that bias.
    I never once said that it is "appealing" to be short, nor have I been arguing against what you just posted. If I implied anything of that nature, than I chalk it up to the time of day (4AM and have been up almost 24 hours straight).

Since we're talking in circles, I'm going to state this one last time: anyone who ignores someone who is short doesn't deserve that person. Shame you won't even entertain any of the points I make, and hone in on one aspect of something I said (again, I said that if they "otherwise find you attractive, instead ignore you..."). I am not saying that looks has no factor in relationships, I'm merely trying to suggest that not only is one's personality more important, but it would substantially help the OP to focus on things other than appearance. Perhaps it's because I'm a "forever alone", but I look for personality far more than looks. On a personal tangent, I find Kaitlin Olson to be attractive. No, not because of looks, because I honestly think that she's not "that" pretty, but after hearing about her quirks, how she acts, etc, I find her to be very attractive. On a slightly different token, I find Mila Kunis to be infinitely attractive. Sure, I find her gorgeous, but she's also a self-proclaimed nerd, she's down to earth, etc; if she was amazingly hot, but a bitch, then, well, I would want absolutely nothing to do with her (and obviously, I have no delusions that I have a shot with either, I'm merely point out observations.)

Even if I were to concede the fact that being short is a handicap -- which it very well could be -- I just can't find a use for accepting it as a handicap and complaining / moping around about it.

But I, in all likelihood, anticipate a sentence or word to be plucked out, and the rest of my post (and larger meaning) to be largely ignored. As usual. And now it's time for sleep, good night all.

Quote Originally Posted by bhelli View Post
    Not trying to sound rude or patronizing, but out of curiosity what race did you play in WoW?
    You probably think I chose a tall race haha nah my first was an undead male, then belf fem, then goblin, then panda. Now a human female but account is inactive.

@OP - You built up your own prison of insecurities. It will be up to you to tear them all down.

What you need to do is focus on your strengths not your weaknesses. Everyone has problems perhaps you have more than the average but these can be strengths. Richard Pryor is a guy who sunk probably as low as you can go but he was able to turn that around and turn his greatest weakness into knee slapping comedy.

Everyone has the keys to their own happiness but it is up to the individual to pick up the damn key, open the damn door and break free. No one is going to do it for you. It all starts with you logging off the computer and getting away from your security blanket that is the internet and start DOING.