Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

5 feet tall, male, 20 years old.

So I am 5 feet tall and done growing, 20 going on 21 soon. Here is a pic: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i5ddae&s=6 I weigh 120lbs and literally can pass for being any age from 12-18. Most people think i'm 16-17 until they meet me. I have scoliosis and a very slight form of dwarfism, as well as hypochondroplasia, as I look like a normal man (no short stubby arms/legs/neck like most dwarfs/midgets.) I have had a very hard life due to my height, Never had a serious relationship, never had sex, I constantly feel used by everyone, my friends use me, I feel like I work harder than others at jobs yet don't get the same recognition, I always feel like I have to do more/show more just to get my way or even be heard. My ankle/knee/hip joints are different than everyone elses, my ankle joints are somewhat inverted, I cannot do near as much physical running and activity as others. I have played golf since I was 4 years old but even then my height stopped me from going anywhere with it because I could not hit the ball near as far as everyone else, and in college the courses they play are build for long hitters. People always say you will look younger when your older, or you will find a shorter girl, or don't let it effect you. But I am so sick of people saying this, I will never listen to anyone taller telling me to not let it effect me because if you really think about it, their ENTIRE life has been different. They are looked at/treated different, I am constantly looked down upon, inferior, the cute little kid, it was great when I was in middle school even early high school, but now everyones in college growing up with girlfriends..even getting married and having kids. I'm 20 going on 21 trapped in a body of a 13 year old guy. How the **** am I just supposed to not let this effect me, when all society shows me is that taller is better, every single couple the guy is taller, clothes are made for taller people. I don't even have many friends anymore, most of the friends I do have are 1-2-3 years younger than me, I party with younger people/girls. I feel that I am trapped/stuck in a high school life because of my height. I even had to move back in with my parents recently, I work at a pizza place, I am taking 1 class online. I constantly think down on myself and it is starting to really effect my life, I think about suicide a lot now more than ever. I am 100% sure that I have the napoleon complex or whatever it's called. Girls think i'm a creep/joke, I am invisible at parties. Yet people expect me to not let it effect me? Yeah it could be worse, I could have down syndrome, or some real mental handicap, but I don't, my mind is the SAME as any other guys, I want girls, happiness, money, cars....I have hormones, I had a great, funny personality but it just seemed to go away as I got older and I am sure this is due to me being so self conscious because it seems to get worse as I age...I need help..I am completely lost, no idea what my future holds, no idea on a career..am I pretty much fucked?

Edit: I also think this is why I got extremely addicted to WoW about 2 tears ago and I had to drop out f college due to it, I quit the game about 5 months ago but in the game no one cared if you were short irl, that's why I liked it so much. Another pic taken about 2 weeks ago: http://oi48.tinypic.com/vhqqb.jpg
    Last edited by Daalton; 2012-11-06 at 11:01 PM.

Hey, I like your shirt.

Your life problems aren't because of your height.

Nor are you 'done growing' at almost 21. I put on a foot between 22 and 23 years old.

5 feet tall is not a midget, so of course you don't have the different shaped limbs.

Don't blame what you view as physical problems for your situation. If you can't accept what is and move on, then why do you expect anyone else to accept you?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Your life problems aren't because of your height.

Nor are you 'done growing' at almost 21. I put on a foot between 22 and 23 years

I am, my growth chart has leveled out ever since I was 17-18.

Quote Originally Posted by Daalton View Post
    So I am 5 feet tall and done growing, 20 going on 21 soon. Here is a pic: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i5ddae&s=6 I weigh 120lbs and literally can pass for being any age from 12-18. Most people think i'm 16-17 until they meet me. I have scoliosis and a very slight form of dwarfism, as well as hypochondroplasia, as I look like a normal man (no short stubby arms/legs/neck like most dwarfs/midgets.) I have had a very hard life due to my height, Never had a serious relationship, never had sex, I constantly feel used by everyone, my friends use me, I feel like I work harder than others at jobs yet don't get the same recognition, I always feel like I have to do more/show more just to get my way or even be heard. My ankle/knee/hip joints are different than everyone elses, my ankle joints are somewhat inverted, I cannot do near as much physical running and activity as others. I have played golf since I was 4 years old but even then my height stopped me from going anywhere with it because I could not hit the ball near as far as everyone else, and in college the courses they play are build for long hitters. People always say you will look younger when your older, or you will find a shorter girl, or don't let it effect you. But I am so sick of people saying this, I will never listen to anyone taller telling me to not let it effect me because if you really think about it, their ENTIRE life has been different. They are looked at/treated different, I am constantly looked down upon, inferior, the cute little kid, it was great when I was in middle school even early high school, but now everyones in college growing up with girlfriends..even getting married and having kids. I'm 20 going on 21 trapped in a body of a 13 year old guy. How the **** am I just supposed to not let this effect me, when all society shows me is that taller is better, every single couple the guy is taller, clothes are made for taller people. I don't even have many friends anymore, most of the friends I do have are 1-2-3 years younger than me, I party with younger people/girls. I feel that I am trapped/stuck in a high school life because of my height. I even had to move back in with my parents recently, I work at a pizza place, I am taking 1 class online. I constantly think down on myself and it is starting to really effect my life, I think about suicide a lot now more than ever. I am 100% sure that I have the napoleon complex or whatever it's called. Girls think i'm a creep/joke, I am invisible at parties. Yet people expect me to not let it effect me? Yeah it could be worse, I could have down syndrome, or some real mental handicap, but I don't, my mind is the SAME as any other guys, I want girls, happiness, money, cars....I have hormones, I had a great, funny personality but it just seemed to go away as I got older and I am sure this is due to me being so self conscious because it seems to get worse as I age...I need help..I am completely lost, no idea what my future holds, no idea on a career..am I pretty much fucked?
    in 20 years you could be me, but instead of diving into the depression you have, I joined the military, I went to school, I started my own business, and I'm in my opinion a successful businessman, my company has remained open now for 23 years, I've never had to layoff someone because of workflow, my personal life is quite happy.

So, I can quite assure you that its not the end of the world. I learned early, that if you dont like yourself, you cant expect others to either.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

-snip-
    You're blowing this way out of proportion. I don't think anything less of your for being "short". Fuck society. No, really. Why pay attention to what "society expects" of you? Don't you know? Society expects all men to be 6"6', able to bench 300 pounds, only have one emotion (anger), I could go on and on. Women have it worse, in that regard. And, please, don't go on about how your experience is any different; I was the quiet nerd in school, always picked on. We're bullied / looked down up for different reasons, but we are still "looked down on". YOU are defining yourself in this manner. Ignore it, and you'll be fine. Dread on and on about it, as you are, and you will remain miserable.

..am I pretty much fucked?
    You are. Get rich to fix those issues.

First, if you are starting to have suicidal thoughts, it means your self image problems are starting to leak into your psychological well being. So, before anything, i suggest you see a psychologist. There's no shame in it: if your physical stress damages your muscles or bones, you go to a doctor right? same when your emotional well being is damaged.

Second, i always had a babyface, and i am short, just a little bit taller than you, 5'3". You know what helped a lot giving me a more mature image? a well cared goatie, moustache or beard.

who cares how tall you are, when you look like ghostcrawler.

lmao small man syndrome incoming!

Infracted: Please, keep posts constructive and do not post solely to mock other posters.
    Last edited by Baiyn; 2012-11-06 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I learned early, that if you dont like yourself, you cant expect others to either.
    This is a no-brainer. The problem is how to start liking yourself. Liking oneself on the face of public rejection isn't easy, it requires a lot discipline and self-research, finding something you are good at that gives you back your confidence and self-esteem.

Ok, enough of this. Acting and thinking this way and saying you don't want to listen to people taller than you is childish. You want to stop being seen as a child? Start acting like an adult, not a kid who plays pitty parties.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has life struggles. My bro in law's family isn't very good at school, he dropped out, got his GED and then went into the military. He is now doing online classes for Game Development and is actually pretty damn smart. Did his 'genetics' stop him from succeeding? NO, he fought to prove people wrong.

Me, I am homosexual, in the military, and deployed right now. I use to do this cry baby crap but you know what I did? I started showing people what I am made of. I am great at leading and people respect that. They respect that because I have confidence in myself.

Bro-in-law's mother, has MS, above the age of 50 AND continues to work and watch her grandkids. Her doctors told her the only thing keeping her healthier than others with her disability is the fact that she doesn't stop moving and give up on life.

"Women find me creepy," well you know maybe you aren't good at social skills and most people who say that stuff use that as an excuse for being single and saying stuff that is offensive TO women. There are always two sides to the story on that. You want a women to respect you? BE A FREAKING MAN. Just because you are 5 ft tall doesn't mean you aren't a man. Don't' ever say you have napoleon syndrome or w/e the hell it is, because Napoleon was a LEADER, who went to lead France to many victories. He was short did that freaking stop him?

If you want some honest advice, want to not be seen as a kid? Then act like a man, and stop throwing a pitty party. I use to be exactly like you in the confidence apartment. Nobody wanted to be my friend because I constantly WHINED. I stopped that and now just have a good time. And life is going great.

Grow up and get over the mindset that you are a kid stuck in HS because you are doing that to yourself.

/end rant.

People are gonna treat you like a kid until you stop acting like one. Quit whining and learn to play the hand you were dealt.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

Grow a beard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Xothic - Prot Paladin - Expired at the end of 5.1, returned start of 5.4, left again. Bleh.

Go and buy yourself called a book called Mind Power, small book works wonders.

If you want some honest advice, want to not be seen as a kid? Then act like a man, and stop throwing a pitty party. I use to be exactly like you in the confidence apartment. Nobody wanted to be my friend because I constantly WHINED. I stopped that and now just have a good time. And life is going great.

Grow up and get over the mindset that you are a kid stuck in HS because you are doing that to yourself.

/end rant.
    It's a lot easier said man, I can't just wake up one day and be confident and grown up.

It's a lot easier said man, I can't just wake up one day and be confident and grown up.
    Of course not, but sitting here whining about how much your life sucks isn't going to make anything better. Confidence comes with time and effort, so get started!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

Sure you can. Sit down and think. Sit down and realize that the 'tall people' aren't keeping you down. You are keeping you down because you think the tall people want to keep you down. They don't care about your height. They are reacting to your whining/feelings about your height.

Stop worrying about your height. Stop worrying about random people in random places think. Stand up and say 'if people honestly don't like me because of my height, then fuck them, why do I care about their opinion.'

No job will fire you or refuse to hire you because of your height. In fact you can spin to to your advantage in interviews. The woman thing might be a bit different, but I know for a fact there are women the same height as you, and taller women who prefer dating men shorter than them (if you are ok with that).

You're still making excuses not to start. Obviously it's not instantaneous, but if you don't start, how do you expect to "magically" become "tall / successful / whatever"?

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm."

Etcetera. Don't let your height define who you are as it will certainly not affect how successful and fulfilling your life is.