Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The average Bolivian male is 160 cm. You could go there and be tall! When I was in Bolivia people would literally stop what they were doing so that they could have their picture taken with the giant American, more than a foot taller than their average male. I usually tried not to notice it too much, but it was very striking when I was in a very crowded area.
    That is one great thing about being in South America, you can look across crowds and find the other white people super easily.

You should start playing paintball. That's a sport that actively recruits players based upon their lack of height.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatelocker View Post
    You should start playing paintball. That's a sport that actively recruits players based upon their lack of height.
    laser tag is also good for small people. when i used to play it the little ones always won.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-01-17 at 04:35 PM.

Was I the only one thinking it?

do your parents support you? do you have a goal?
    only be with people that do not drain you.

start fresh, make yourself comfortable. make a goal.
    be disciplined. and life will get better.

-shrug-

I wouldn't go out of the way to avoid someone who smiles that brightly. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by velspine View Post
    Ok, enough of this. Acting and thinking this way and saying you don't want to listen to people taller than you is childish. You want to stop being seen as a child? Start acting like an adult, not a kid who plays pitty parties.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has life struggles. My bro in law's family isn't very good at school, he dropped out, got his GED and then went into the military. He is now doing online classes for Game Development and is actually pretty damn smart. Did his 'genetics' stop him from succeeding? NO, he fought to prove people wrong.

Me, I am homosexual, in the military, and deployed right now. I use to do this cry baby crap but you know what I did? I started showing people what I am made of. I am great at leading and people respect that. They respect that because I have confidence in myself.

Bro-in-law's mother, has MS, above the age of 50 AND continues to work and watch her grandkids. Her doctors told her the only thing keeping her healthier than others with her disability is the fact that she doesn't stop moving and give up on life.

"Women find me creepy," well you know maybe you aren't good at social skills and most people who say that stuff use that as an excuse for being single and saying stuff that is offensive TO women. There are always two sides to the story on that. You want a women to respect you? BE A FREAKING MAN. Just because you are 5 ft tall doesn't mean you aren't a man. Don't' ever say you have napoleon syndrome or w/e the hell it is, because Napoleon was a LEADER, who went to lead France to many victories. He was short did that freaking stop him?

If you want some honest advice, want to not be seen as a kid? Then act like a man, and stop throwing a pitty party. I use to be exactly like you in the confidence apartment. Nobody wanted to be my friend because I constantly WHINED. I stopped that and now just have a good time. And life is going great.

Grow up and get over the mindset that you are a kid stuck in HS because you are doing that to yourself.

/end rant.
    This. Learn to spell and use proper grammar in communication. That will go a long way toward proving yourself at work (any work). Act like a man toward every situation and person and you will be treated as one by those people who count.

If you want a relationship, do some honest soul-searching and find out why you don't have one. It isn't your height or your joints, so if you end up there, you weren't being honest. It may be your approach, it may be how you go about looking for a compatible person, it may be your expectations or lack thereof or it may be anything else.

Be alright with yourself. Move toward this by doing something useful, whether that be learning new things, honing skills, working toward goals or helping others.

But, mostly, stop being a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    That is one great thing about being in South America, you can look across crowds and find the other white people super easily.
    This was hilarious in Hong Kong. Me and my friends are pretty tall, it was like swimming in a sea of black hair, occasionally spotting another tall white person.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    This was hilarious in Hong Kong. Me and my friends are pretty tall, it was like swimming in a sea of black hair, occasionally spotting another tall white person.
    most South Americans have native ancestry, and native Americans are very closely related with Asians, hence the lack of height.

There is a lot of good advice here if you will take it to heart. Lots of people are saying "be a man," and they are right. Some specifics: hold the door for people, make eye contact and smile. 90% of people will respond positively and say thanks, and you should say "you're welcome." Start being a regular at some place of business, be it a coffee shop, library, or bank. Try to be friendly and start up harmless conversations with the employees/patrons, who will recognize you. I think you have a hole to dig out of self-esteem wise, and the little daily interactions that are scattered throughout the day need to happen and not be avoided. Work on your appearance and strength. Work out, and make sure you keep doing it. Track your progress. Grow a beard if you can (I'm 31 and still quite boyish - but my wife prefers it) or a goatee if you can't get that far.

I'd wish you luck, but you're a good looking young man who is sensitive and self-aware. You just need to kick yourself in the ass and make some concrete goals for yourself, and you will be just fine. Trust me, I've been there.

Woot Diamond hood, guy on the right is a G
    CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos 2 / MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VI / CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz 1.184v (delidded) / GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 3GB 1173MHz, 6589MHz, 1.2v / RAM: G.Skill Trident-X 16GB 2400Mhz / PSU: Corsair AX860 Platinum / BOOT: Samsung 840 256GB x2 Raid 0 /

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    You got made fun of because you're 6'-2"? Where do you live, with the Oompa Loompas? 6'-2" is of unremarkable height, just slightly taller than the average 5'10-5'11 of males in northern Europe countries and the US/Canada.
    I was 15 / 16 at that time. I was taller than anyone else in my school (which was a small one, but still...)

That's a hard one. Being short can be difficult to deal with but most of it comes from within. If you allow it to be a problem, it will be a HUGE problem. First of all you have to accept yourself as others have said. Then you have to mentally prepare for and learn to deal with rude comments about your height, because they will always be coming. Most people are cool with short men, but there is a vocal minority who seem to think that their sole purpose in life is to ridicule the midget men. If you truly learn to not give them the time of day you are well on your way.

I am 17, 18 in March, I am 5,2 feet tall and very very thin, I sometimes want to be taller, but most of the time I am happy and don't really care about my length, I have many of friends who are 5. 10 feet (dunno really how to write that metric system since I'm from Sweden:P), and they don't care if I'm short, and I realized that I am even taller than lots of girls at the same age as me.

Sadly, a lot of people in that age group (teens to mid twenties) can be really shallow, I've found. I'd just keep your chin up, the right girl will find you and accept you for who you are. Embrace the things that make you unique. It sounds cliché, but it's pretty true.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

im european, 22 years old and about 1,65m which is about 5,4ft or sth
    i still get asked for ID when ordering drinks in a bar (most ppls say i look liek 16/17), i go to university, i played wow in the past and was kinda nerdy from 17-20

still i got 5-10 really close friends (at my age or even 1-2 years older), have a gf, go to parties every 2 weeks and soon getting my bachelor in mechanical engineering
    my life is getting really well overall

so either society is fucked up in murrica more then where i live, or u have to work on yourself and man the fuck up

---
    also sorry for bad english, im drunk

Go be the next Napoleon.

Keyboard Turner
    Hi Daalton,

I was directed to this thread by my boyfriend who was telling me about how he read this and felt for you. He read to me what you have written and also several of the responses and I have to say I feel like you should be feeling very positive about the response you have gotten from the gaming community. I know several people have said this to you but EVERYONE has problems, hearing that must be getting old now huh? Regardless, it is a legitimate response and it is something you should really take to heart. You are what you make yourself, you have the potential to be whomever you want to be. People in this world are not kind, but always remember that when someone isn't kind to you they are equally unkind to many other people. The world isn't singling you out, you have just been given a different set of circumstances to handle. You are not ugly, yes even at 5 feet tall you are NOT ugly! There are women who are tiny and who don't want to date a man who is 6 feet tall, there are women out there who would love you if you loved yourself and showed them how much you have to give.

I am a 26 year old woman with 2 college degrees and my own business. I am not unattractive or crazy or socially awkward and the only reason that I am not attracted to you is YOUR ATTITUDE. Plenty of people in this world have lots of issues to deal with and they overcome them by being optimistic and making the best of their situation. The only way you are going to be happy is if you accept yourself for who you are and accept that your circumstances regarding your height are never going to change. You will most certainly never find a relationship or make good friends if you're constantly wallowing in your own self pity. People are drawn to positive thinking fun seekers, why on earth would you abandon your original attitude if you were the funny guy? Be the funny guy again, work on loving yourself and please don't be so selfish as to commit suicide because whatever you may think you will be greatly missed by your family.

Quote Originally Posted by holagato View Post
    Hi Daalton,

I was directed to this thread by my boyfriend who was telling me about how he read this and felt for you. He read to me what you have written and also several of the responses and I have to say I feel like you should be feeling very positive about the response you have gotten from the gaming community. I know several people have said this to you but EVERYONE has problems, hearing that must be getting old now huh? Regardless, it is a legitimate response and it is something you should really take to heart. You are what you make yourself, you have the potential to be whomever you want to be. People in this world are not kind, but always remember that when someone isn't kind to you they are equally unkind to many other people. The world isn't singling you out, you have just been given a different set of circumstances to handle. You are not ugly, yes even at 5 feet tall you are NOT ugly! There are women who are tiny and who don't want to date a man who is 6 feet tall, there are women out there who would love you if you loved yourself and showed them how much you have to give.

I am a 26 year old woman with 2 college degrees and my own business. I am not unattractive or crazy or socially awkward and the only reason that I am not attracted to you is YOUR ATTITUDE. Plenty of people in this world have lots of issues to deal with and they overcome them by being optimistic and making the best of their situation. The only way you are going to be happy is if you accept yourself for who you are and accept that your circumstances regarding your height are never going to change. You will most certainly never find a relationship or make good friends if you're constantly wallowing in your own self pity. People are drawn to positive thinking fun seekers, why on earth would you abandon your original attitude if you were the funny guy? Be the funny guy again, work on loving yourself and please don't be so selfish as to commit suicide because whatever you may think you will be greatly missed by your family.

One of the best replies yet...I appreciate it

I understand what you are saying about my attitude, and how I should go back to being funny and positive about life. It just seems so hard to, like I try to picture it and I can't, I don't even have many friends anymore simply because I prefer to be alone, every I would hang out with my friends it involves alcohol or drugs and usually a party and that leads to me getting made fun of which just depresses me even more. It's like a circle, I try to be positive and confident and I go out and have fun and then boom, someone says something and it starts all over again, I get more depressed, stop hanging out with them, it's like no one really knows the real me anymore except for a girl who is significantly younger than me who I have known for 2.5 years, as far as I am concerned she is in love with me and I feel the same way, I talk to her like she's my best friend, we know every single thing about each other and have been like this for a year now. We are VERY close and I can be 100% around her and she can be 100% herself around me, and if you saw a picture of us together you would understand exactly what i'm talking about, you would think we are the cutest couple ever, yet there's only one thing....she's young. Not going to get into more detail but it just kills me, knowing that if people knew that I would be considered a pedophile...it's just hard because I never dated a single girl in high school, then she comes along and it's a real girl that I have very REAL feelings for and she says the same back, and I know it is hard to believe it because she is young and young girls don't know much about love, part of me really does want to believe it because it's been a year since any real feelings set in and she still feels the same way...and most of the time I would rather stay home and facetime her than go out. Because she motivates me, makes me laugh, looks past my heigth 100%, she does not care one bit about my size and this is one of the biggest things that have caused problems in the past with girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Daalton View Post
    SNIP.
    And I thought my english was bad....

Dude, seriously, you hold yourself back.
    I'm 26 I never had a girlfriend for around 6 years through a massive case of depression.

Before then I was confident skinny guy who was 5'11.... I weighted 50kg... so I Was so underweight even a breeze would blow me away with curly hair.
    I was picked on at school and didn't go because they made my life HELL.

Now I have a stable girlfriend of 4 months, I go to the GYM ( my home made one ) and now weight 69KG.

How? I stopped caring, I stopped caring about others thoughts, others comment and just got on with it.
    I have no job, next to no money but I manage!

Dude: Grow up