Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Getting account banned..

if I was to get my account banned after selling it could I be sued for fraud?

Deleted
    yes and 5 years jail, so don't sell ur account.

already did.. eh, owell. thanks

Deleted
    You don't own anything on your account, so you can't really legally sell it.

its against blizz rules to sell accounts.
    they will ban the account if they find out.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Read the EULA

I wasn't asking if I could sell my account ><

He's using that exact rule on the EULA to get the account banned on purpose and pretty much just scammed some dude out of his money, is what he's saying.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

You could be sued. Whether the lawsuit would be successful is another thing entirely. What you describe isn't really uncommon (original account owner gets account banned after sale), and I've never heard of such a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    He's using that exact rule on the EULA to get the account banned on purpose and pretty much just scammed some dude out of his money, is what he's saying.
    pretty much that.. the guy that has my account is retarded (I check my character's armory when I'm bored).

I'm not going to do it.. guy spent $500 for it :X soooooo let this thread die?

I doubt the buyer would take action against him anyway, considering it's probably some gold seller.

And if not, he's probably going to get hacked anyway by one at some point lol
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

You can always get sued, specially if you live in the States. If the person who sues you will win is a different question entirely.

I don't think it is likely as technically you're not allowed to either sell OR buy a wow account.

That said, this is technically against the forum rules as far as I know....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omang View Post
    I wasn't asking if I could sell my account ><
    You were asking whether you can be sued for selling it, as in can you legally sell it.

You can't.

What the repercussions are, is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You were asking whether you can be sued for selling it, as in can you legally sell it.

You can't.

I sold it 3 weeks ago...asking if I could get sued after I get it banned.

You were asking whether you could legally sell it (ie. be sued).

You can't.

He wasn't asking that at all. Refer to my previous post. He was asking if he would get in trouble with the buyer or blizzard for getting the sold account banned.

pretty much that.. the guy that has my account is retarded (I check my character's armory when I'm bored).

I'm not going to do it.. guy spent $500 for it :X soooooo let this thread die?
    Yep, he is retarded. $ 500... too much money on his hands I guess.

My guess is that Blizzard will just ban the account if they find out. I doubt they will be sueing everyone who sells their account, it's not worth it. The guy you sold it to might have the possibility to sue you if he thinks it's worth it but I am not a lawyer so I don't know for sure. Maybe he won't even stand a chance because he could have known that it was an illegal transaction. I don't know if it's up to you to tell him what can happen when you are making an illegal sell. Maybe he can try to get his money back, I don't really know.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-11-06 at 01:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    He wasn't asking that at all. Refer to my previous post. He was asking if he would get in trouble with the buyer or blizzard for getting the sold account banned.
    Asking if you can be sued because you sold an account is exactly the same thing as asking whether you can legally sell an account.

Whether that account gets banned or not makes no difference whatsoever.

No, it's not legal to sell something you do not own; Blizzard owns your account, not you. If you sell Blizzard's property, it's not exactly legal, now is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have already sold it then walk away... its not your account anymore.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Unsure. You don't own your account (you pay for the privilege to access it) so you've technically sold someone elses property to another party.

However, it takes one kind of person to sell an account. It takes a special kind of person to sell it, then get it disabled, purely for the monetary gain.
    Last edited by Dundebuns; 2012-11-06 at 01:59 PM.
    RETH

Asking if you can be sued because you sold an account is exactly the same thing as asking whether you can legally sell an account.

Whether that account gets banned or not makes no difference whatsoever.

No, it's not legal to sell something you do not own; Blizzard owns your account, not you. If you sell Blizzard's property, it's not exactly legal, now is it?
    He knows it's not legal. What he wants to know is if there's a way he could get in trouble by getting it banned. It's not the same thing. It's like if I steal something and I'm asking if I can get away with it. I know it's illegal, what I want to know is if I can get caught.