Pre-Potting and how to use it as Elemental?

As the title says, I've never bothered pre-potting before and now that I have Ascendance, I'm even more confused about how to properly use it without stepping on the typical Ascendance macros. (Drop Stormlash Totem then hit the macro: use trinkets, any other possible enchantment CDs, Elemental Mastery, Potion of the Jade Serpent, Ascendance.)

Would pre-potting be somewhat wasted in my current build as I would normally use it with Ascendance, anyway or is there a better way of handing opening burst and Ascendance burst as two separate entities? Also, would it be better to drop Fire Elemental Totem before popping CDs or just after Ascendance has faded. (namely, will it update dynamically with my stats or is it only what was present when it was summoned?)
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-best-opening

this thread will answer most of the question.

Although I'm not sure you really understand what's the point of "pre-poting", basically the aim is to use two potion per fight : one just before the pull (so you'll have ~20-22sec of potion at the beginning of the fight), and another one later in the fight. Ascendance greatly helps as it gives you an big "burst", that are really good occasion to use potion (which would have been less usefull if dps was consistent through the fight). Basically what you "should" do is use a potion just before the pull, use as many cd as you can in the first 20sec of the fight, then wait for all your cooldown to be up again, blow another potion with all your cd (the exact timing may change depending on boss and "burst" phases, if you don't use bl/hero at the beginning of the fight try to use your second potion during bl/hero, otherwise once all your cd are up again )