15+ Year Old Account

question about /petattack macro

ok.. I discovered that my pet seems to be doing a whole lot less basic attacks that the other hunter pets I compared in LFR.
    There seems to be some bug (maybe addon related or whatnot) I have not yet discovered and until I do I need to macro /petattack in to ie. explosive and cobra shots.

HOWEVER... I can't seem to make a macro where my pet keeps on attacking the target I sent it to. Normal /petattack sends my pet to whatever target I am shooting and I don't want it that way. Already tried /petattack [pettarget,exists] and other variations.. pet on passive, defensive etc.

So what kind of macro I should make to keep my pet on it's designated target even thou I change mine?

"I am smiling. I am perky. I am the girl scout on your front porch offering cookies for money.
    I am your biscuit prostitute. I hope our transaction is savory."

Deleted
    Keep your pet on passive and manually "order" your pet to attack whichever target you want. I have this bound to Mousewheel Up. This will mean you could keep your pet on, for example, Elegon but when (if) you switch to the Celestial Protector your pet will stay on Elegon. If you're playing BM it also means your Kill Commands would strike Elegon as opposed to the Celestial Protector.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helfarch View Post
    Keep your pet on passive and manually "order" your pet to attack whichever target you want.
    I would if I could. Tried to explain there that this is not an option for me. Don't have logs anymore, but on last Feng for example other hunters pet was attacking TWICE the amount my pet did.
    I just want it macroed but not sure if it's technically possible.

"I am smiling. I am perky. I am the girl scout on your front porch offering cookies for money.

If you want it on a target which you aren't attack it needs to be on passive, and you need to tell it to attack that specific target (either using the petattack button or macro as above). There's not much else to it, but you need to make sure you tell it to attack another target after it dies.

Deleted
    Are you both the same spec? Do you have comparable gear/reforges? Were you doing the same jobs on your boss kills? Logs would help hugely in trying to determine why your pet is doing fewer basic attacks than you co-hunter's pet. When you next raid, throw some logs at us and we can have a look.

If, however, you were both doing the same jobs/spec, etc, on Feng then I'm not really sure why your pet would be doing fewer basic attacks other than it was just not always attacking the boss. The only remote possibility I could imagine might be that you had a /petpassive line macro'd, inadvertently, into one of your shots which may prompt your pet to return to you, whereupon it would be prompted to return back to your target if your pet is in Assist mode. I know this is a long shot, but it might be worth checking.

As another poster noted, were you to macro /petattack into your shots, then your pet would be running around like a blue-arsed fly each time you attacked a new target. This will, presumably, only lead to few basic attacks from your pet as you'll be reducing its uptime on targets.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helfarch View Post
    As another poster noted, were you to macro /petattack into your shots, then your pet would be running around like a blue-arsed fly each time you attacked a new target. This will, presumably, only lead to few basic attacks from your pet as you'll be reducing its uptime on targets.
    indeed. that is the reason for my question...
    We don't have another hunter in our 10m so I will have to wait until another 25m to track logs.. still on that LFR I was referring to my pet had more claws than the other cat and still only half the basic attacks.. makes me wonder. :/

On Will for example, my pet is on passive and I macro /petattack into my serpent sting. I never put up serpent sting on an add that will die in mere seconds, so it works. You could also macro it into your Black Arrow if you're running SV.

The problem here is that /petattack doesn't trigger your pets basic attacks, it's just the command to send him into combat on your current target. Macro'ing it into your shots will have zero effect on his attack speed or anything like that (as you've discovered). People who have it macro'd in with shots only do so to ensure they have their pet on target without having to manually send him in (though why they don't just use assist stance is anyone's guess).

My guess, honestly, is that it's a matter of uptime. You said your pet has the same number (or more) of claws. That attack can vary a bit since it's based on focus regen. Less focus, less claws. But their basic attack, or "white damage" is a fixed swing time. Every single pet attacks at the same speed, regardless of level or spec. If yours is doing less, especially a lot less, it's most likely because he's just not on target as often. If it's happening on multi-target fights with heavy target switching, then that's what you need to work on (target switching, that is). If it's single target, well then I don't know, that doesn't make much sense. Maybe the logs are reporting something wrong.

...Actually, something just occurred to me. It could be talents. If he's using Lynx Rush, especially on cooldown, that might be reporting as auto-attacks from the pet. It's possible that the extra attacks from Dire Beast report that way as well. Honestly don't know, haven't looked at any logs lately.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

15+ Year Old Account
    thx Cyph3r... lots of food for thought. I'll look into those, especially on to that LR thing.

just make a macro of /petattack and take a keybind for it

or just use ctrl+1

The other hunters in your LFR had to been using the glyph of stampede. The glyph copies the main pet and puts out 4 identical pets with the same name. Because of this the pets copied by stampede fall under the main pet and the damage from stampede is not seperated on skada or WoL thus adding all the basic attacks and specials attacks to the hunters main pet. This is only theory though as I don't know if OP had this glyph or not and if the other hunter in his LFR had it.

another issue i guessing might be focus fire which i believe increases your pet attack speed if u are using yours to take the stacks from your pet to increase your ranged speed it might account for less basic attacks from your pet