Thread: Losing Weight

Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Losing Weight

    I've been trying for a while to lose weight, I feel that the reason I have been failing is because I try too hard to push myself, and that I am never prepared enough (I don't have the right foods, the correct plan in general).

    I can probably come up with a plan, regardless if there would be an absolute 'best way' to lose weight, I think it would be most effective for a normal person to just make a solid plan and stick to it until you hit your target weight, and keep using it thereafter.

    I have a few questions regarding a few topics:

    • Are any pills effective? Not miracle weight loss pills, but vitamins and other kinds.
    • How many calories should I try to deficit every day from the calories I need to maintain my weight, how much of this should come from exercise?
    • Currently, I plan to drop over 120 pounds, I am 330 pounds and want to be 210 when I finish, how long is an acceptable goal?
    • I was thinking original oatmeal for breakfast most of the time, some kind of sandwich for lunch, and some kind of meal involving chicken breast for dinner. Is eating the same exact meals every day inherently bad?
    • Water flavoring packets - bad?

    I may be using this thread as a blog type if that is allowed on MMO-C. Not so sound like an asshole but if you are just guessing at any of the questions, and giving your personal input on what you think I should do, please don't. I'm looking for people who are knowledgeable on the subject and can give definite answers.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    I've been trying for a while to lose weight, I feel that the reason I have been failing is because I try too hard to push myself, and that I am never prepared enough (I don't have the right foods, the correct plan in general).

    I can probably come up with a plan, regardless if there would be an absolute 'best way' to lose weight, I think it would be most effective for a normal person to just make a solid plan and stick to it until you hit your target weight, and keep using it thereafter.

    I have a few questions regarding a few topics:

    • Are any pills effective? Not miracle weight loss pills, but vitamins and other kinds.
    • How many calories should I try to deficit every day from the calories I need to maintain my weight, how much of this should come from exercise?
    • Currently, I plan to drop over 120 pounds, I am 330 pounds and want to be 210 when I finish, how long is an acceptable goal?
    • I was thinking original oatmeal for breakfast most of the time, some kind of sandwich for lunch, and some kind of meal involving chicken breast for dinner. Is eating the same exact meals every day inherently bad?
    • Water flavoring packets - bad?

    I may be using this thread as a blog type if that is allowed on MMO-C. Not so sound like an asshole but if you are just guessing at any of the questions, and giving your personal input on what you think I should do, please don't. I'm looking for people who are knowledgeable on the subject and can give definite answers.
    P90X It's hard and it works.

  3. #3
    Pandaren Monk GeordieMagpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    U.K,England, Newcastle
    Posts
    1,832
    Sorry I can't help because I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject, however, I do wish you good luck.
    Howay the lads!

  4. #4
    Brewmaster catbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    london, england
    Posts
    1,400
    always consult your doctor when planning such a massive weight loss. they can probably also refer you to a dietician who could set you up with a lot more sciencey-medically based plans than random people from the internet.

    i wish you the best of luck~

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,068
    I can't really help with weight loss but I can help you with some basic healthy lifestyles tips:

    - DO move. Some people say movement is not important, that it's all about calorie deficit. Bullshit. Movement makes you not only burn more (even if only slightly) but it's healthy in a wide variety of ways, including making you happier.
    - Drink lots of water, no soda or stuff. Take soda as candy, not as hydration - that's what water is for.
    - Eat various food, and especially healthy food like vegetables and fruit. So I guess that answers your question #4, yes, eating the same things every single day is bad.

  6. #6
    After breaking my leg years ago I couldnt walk and went from a very fit person to an extremely overweight one.

    Some tips from someone who is 4 months into a massive weight loss regime.

    Meal planning. Know what you are going to eat. Plan your day. Have lunches premade. When you have to quickly make something, thats when you get lazy and go buy something unhealthy.

    Research. Know which foods are good for you. There are superfoods such as broccoli that are fantastic for the body. I avoid certain fruits/vegetables due to high carb content/sugar. Avoid white foods, such as white rice and white bread. They are highly processed and typically have a high GI which is bad for weight loss.

    Variety. I used to have chicken breast every single day for lunch. When you have it every single day. You dread it. Mix it up, add spices, add low sugar/low carb sauces. Have salad, have steamed vegies.

    Movement. Eating right is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing. Exercise is next. I used to do 3 day a week gym (currently at 5). You dont need to be running on the treadmill. Walk up some hills, if youre on a treadmill play with the inclines and speeds, keep the body guessing and adjusting. I do a lot of rowing which uses a lot of different parts of the body. Just doing movements you wouldnt normally do will be helpful. I do a mixture of cardio and weight training.

    I also went and saw a nutritionist. Just to get some calculations and some assurances. We calculated that for my size, I would need to have 14,000 kj a day to stay at a steady weight with minimal exercise. I believe it was -2000kj for 500g loss with minimal exercise. Ive dropped down to 7000kj per day - but I did it gradually.

    My current eating is something like this:

    Breakfast - 1 cup oates 1/2 cup milk with a banana (Weekend is 2 eggs on wholemeal with 3/4 can of baked beans.

    Morning tea - handful of nuts and a peice of fruit.

    Lunch - whatever I had for dinner the night before. Usually stir fried beef and steamed vegies or chicken breast and salad wrap.

    Afternoon Tea - fruit salad (Lots of melons and berries, avoiding high sugar fruits) with a natural yoghurt.

    Dinner - Chicken breast/Beef/Mince/Fish with a salad or steamed vegies and a small portion of brown rice.

    Desert - Fruit Salad with Yoghurt.

    I also substitute afternoon/morning tea sometimes with a protein bar/shake.

    There are some pills and stuff out there that can help with weight loss. Look for some good thermogenic supplements. Caffeine triggers a hormone that promotes weight loss, green tea also good nutrients.

    One last piece of advice. You will have days where you fall off the wagon. Ive totally cut alcohol out of my diet and there was a day where I just needed to get hammered. Its not the end if you have a bad day. Just get back into it the next day.

    Good luck.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2012-11-10 at 10:33 AM.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Boogieknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    679
    - Drink Water (The colder the better since a calorie is technically the energy required to heat 1 gram of wafer 1º.)
    - Expend more calories than you intake. That's a key thing in every diet, but you should actively look at the caloric values of everything you eat. Some very small volume foods have shockingly high calorie counts that you may not even know about.
    - Exercise, exercise, exercise! You don't need to have an organized routine, but some activity is necessary. A recommendation I got when losing weight was "try prison workouts." It sounds worse than it is. Basically what you do is work out frequently, but in short durations with limited or no equipment. What I ended up doing was having a small workout for every room in my house, and every time I went into or out of that room I had to do that workout. It was nothing crazy, usually 3-5 reps of chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, etc. Go into the computer room was 5 chin-ups, bedroom was 5 push-ups or jumping jacks, living room was 5 sit-ups, etc. It's nothing drastic, but over the course of a year you'll be surprised how often you do those things and the more you do them you can start to increase the number you do each time.
    - Never sacrifice health for convenience. Pre-packaged meals should be avoided at all costs, oatmeal usually has a high sugar content you want to avoid, and frozen meals tend to have a high sodium content that's not that great for you. Vegetables aren't that expensive if you buy in bulk, and you can cook several days worth of meats in advance and just heat them up later.

    The biggest thing you need to look into though is discussing your weight loss with your doctor before you lose the weight. He may have specifics for you that none of us could even consider since we don't know you or your medical history.
    Last edited by Boogieknight; 2012-11-10 at 10:30 AM. Reason: tired and typed the wrong thing
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

  8. #8
    High Overlord Skez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    I've been trying for a while to lose weight, I feel that the reason I have been failing is because I try too hard to push myself, and that I am never prepared enough (I don't have the right foods, the correct plan in general).

    I can probably come up with a plan, regardless if there would be an absolute 'best way' to lose weight, I think it would be most effective for a normal person to just make a solid plan and stick to it until you hit your target weight, and keep using it thereafter.

    I have a few questions regarding a few topics:

    • Are any pills effective? Not miracle weight loss pills, but vitamins and other kinds.
    • How many calories should I try to deficit every day from the calories I need to maintain my weight, how much of this should come from exercise?
    • Currently, I plan to drop over 120 pounds, I am 330 pounds and want to be 210 when I finish, how long is an acceptable goal?
    • I was thinking original oatmeal for breakfast most of the time, some kind of sandwich for lunch, and some kind of meal involving chicken breast for dinner. Is eating the same exact meals every day inherently bad?
    • Water flavoring packets - bad?

    I may be using this thread as a blog type if that is allowed on MMO-C. Not so sound like an asshole but if you are just guessing at any of the questions, and giving your personal input on what you think I should do, please don't. I'm looking for people who are knowledgeable on the subject and can give definite answers.
    You know what? At first I tried to push myself to hard also but it resulted in the opposite, I started gaining weight. One day early this summer I just decided to stop drinking sodas and eating snacks and shit (I also stopped smoking). And then I started drinking loads of water each day and eating fruit for snack.
    These simple things made me loose 10 kg (22 pounds) in only a few weeks. And then I started taking long walks in a fast pace (30-60 minutes is enough) everyday and just a few weeks later I had lost 10 kgs more.
    I kept doing everything else that I've been doing forever, spending time in front of the computer, having the same old things for dinner, but you WILL eat less after a while since the stomach contracts a bit. But it feels great to eat just half of what you could eat before and still getting full

    Loosing weight and starting to feel healthy is the biggest relief, good luck!

  9. #9
    There is no "best way" to lose weight.

    All you need is a calorie deficit, exercise and water.
    Pills are a waste of money, save your money instead.
    Depends how much and how fast you want to lose weight, and how much you burn in your exercise. If you burn 250ish in your exercise, eat at a 250 deficit so you'll be in a 500 deficit overall.
    120 pounds, im sorry to say that will take a very long time unless you do a crash diet. When i lost my weight it took me almost a year to lose 55 pounds. But i did it the "safe" way.
    Its not bad eating the same thing every day, i do that.
    Never used water flavouring packets, so i dont know if its bad.


    If i were you id start out easy by doing a brisk walk every day, then when you get used to working out, push it abit more.

  10. #10
    Eating well is KEY. Chicken is AMAZING, like jesus in food for diet. You can do a lot with chicken also. You can buy packs of frozen bone less chicken breasts for like 8 bucks at walmart.

    exercising is big too. You can head to the gym and start small. (If you have no clue how to start, i didn't either, you can buy arnolds encyclopedia for modern body building, and he shows which work outs work what, pictures on how to do them, and plans depending on whether you're fat, fit, or trying to do body building. EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BODY BUILDING IN IT'S NAME YOU CAN EASILY ADOPT IT TO A REGIMENT AS A FATTY, THAT'S WHAT I DID)

    Cut out the snacks though. Wake up, eat breakfast, eat lunch, eat dinner. Snacks are huge, even a granola bar has 100 calories which in the long run is a bunch. Keep yourself busy so you're not hungry.

    I started at 260 i'm down to 230 in a month, i go to the gym 6 times a day for a little over an hour, 30 minutes of cardio and the rest weight lifting. i go at 2am so it doesn't turn into social hour, i do my stuff and leave.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    Eating well is KEY. Chicken is AMAZING, like jesus in food for diet. You can do a lot with chicken also. You can buy packs of frozen bone less chicken breasts for like 8 bucks at walmart.

    exercising is big too. You can head to the gym and start small. (If you have no clue how to start, i didn't either, you can buy arnolds encyclopedia for modern body building, and he shows which work outs work what, pictures on how to do them, and plans depending on whether you're fat, fit, or trying to do body building. EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BODY BUILDING IN IT'S NAME YOU CAN EASILY ADOPT IT TO A REGIMENT AS A FATTY, THAT'S WHAT I DID)

    Cut out the snacks though. Wake up, eat breakfast, eat lunch, eat dinner. Snacks are huge, even a granola bar has 100 calories which in the long run is a bunch. Keep yourself busy so you're not hungry.

    I started at 260 i'm down to 230 in a month, i go to the gym 6 times a day for a little over an hour, 30 minutes of cardio and the rest weight lifting. i go at 2am so it doesn't turn into social hour, i do my stuff and leave.
    You lost 30 pounds in a month? I find that very hard to believe.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    You lost 30 pounds in a month? I find that very hard to believe.
    Its not that unbelievable.

    Remember as soon as the body is shocked into a change it loses a lot of water weight first. Hell I lost 6 kilograms in a week when I first started which is probably about what 14 pounds?

    Most of it was just water weight and as soon as my body adapted to the changes it evened out.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Its not that unbelievable.

    Remember as soon as the body is shocked into a change it loses a lot of water weight first. Hell I lost 6 kilograms in a week when I first started which is probably about what 14 pounds?

    Most of it was just water weight and as soon as my body adapted to the changes it evened out.
    Yeah, but to lose actual 30 pounds of fat in a month you have to eat something like 100 calories haha

  14. #14
    the way you have to see it is not only as a diet, but a lifestyle change. in order to lose weight you need to have an excess amount of calorie intake, meaning everything you do in the day needs to burn more calories than the food you ate that day. its not going to happen fast at all, im happy if i lose a pound or 2 a week. you can get a fat burning pill to help, but id get it from a respectable site(bodybuilding.com is my personal favorite for supplements). if you dont like doing cardio every single day( its mind numbing and boring imo) you can lfit weights and build muscle while doing cardio. weight lifting burns quite a bit of calories itself, and the muscle you have raises your resting metabolism because your muscles use the food you eat to fuel them. if you are going to take anything i would suggest omega 3/6/9's, multi vitamin, green tea( i personally prefer pills/extract because green tea is gross) and L-carnatine. anything else feel free to msg, or look on bodybuilding.com at the plans they have, thats where i get most of my information

    at first you'll lose alot of weight because its new to your body, but as you go you'll start to "plateau" and not lose as much as your body adjusted. make sure that doesn't discourage you as it will happen
    Last edited by Hellgrazr; 2012-11-10 at 11:37 AM.

  15. #15
    Lost 60 pounds in a year, without any hardcore dieting at all; i only removed soda, juice from my menu, i avoid fried meals, have also maximum 1x candy a day; if you can control yourself, and have such urges, let's say, to wolf down everything sweet in the house - simply don't buy anything sweet or replace candy with fruits

    i also workout 5-6 times a week at the gym, with average trainings duration of 45-50 min;

    i replaced the bus ride to the univercity with riding a bike, which is 14 kilemeters minimum "cardio" a day; i also ride for fun every weekend

    other than that .. well, reduce the time you spend on the computer as much as you can, and move as much as you can; if you turn more of your body fat into muscle - which is an active tissue, you'll not only live healthier, but you'll feel soo much better too

  16. #16
    if you want to lose your weight in abiding by the rules then you should contact with a trainer.

  17. #17
    Well, it is well researched fact now that excessive carbs intake combined with a lack of exercise is what makes most people fat.
    So one of the easiest ways to lose fat is by limiting your carb intake by 5%-10% of your daily calories and limiting your daily calories to maintenance-500cal.
    Yes, that means cutting out all liquid calories (soda) and all the grains (bread, cookies, pizza) and starches (rice, potatoes, etc) and replacing them with decent sources of protein and fat such as grass fed meat, wild caught fish, pastured eggs and so on. Check out http://www.archevore.com/get-started/ for details.

    As for exercise, there are plenty of studies that show that excessive exercise may be harmful and may actually prevent the weight loss. Do not exercise for the sake of exercise, instead find some activity that is interesting and fun - do zumba, do Frisbee golf, ride a bike in the park, something like that.

    As people mentioned previously do some things while you play WoW. Did a daily? Do a 5-10 push-ups before turning it in. Died on a raid boss? Do 20 jumping-jacks.
    Flying from one place to another? Do 20 squats. You'll be surprised how much things you can do along with your usual gaming.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobies View Post
    Well, it is well researched fact now that excessive carbs intake combined with a lack of exercise is what makes most people fat.
    So one of the easiest ways to lose fat is by limiting your carb intake by 5%-10% of your daily calories and limiting your daily calories to maintenance-500cal.
    Yes, that means cutting out all liquid calories (soda) and all the grains (bread, cookies, pizza) and starches (rice, potatoes, etc) and replacing them with decent sources of protein and fat such as grass fed meat, wild caught fish, pastured eggs and so on. Check out http://www.archevore.com/get-started/ for details.

    As for exercise, there are plenty of studies that show that excessive exercise may be harmful and may actually prevent the weight loss. Do not exercise for the sake of exercise, instead find some activity that is interesting and fun - do zumba, do Frisbee golf, ride a bike in the park, something like that.

    As people mentioned previously do some things while you play WoW. Did a daily? Do a 5-10 push-ups before turning it in. Died on a raid boss? Do 20 jumping-jacks.
    Flying from one place to another? Do 20 squats. You'll be surprised how much things you can do along with your usual gaming.
    Wrong.
    You can eat how many carbs you want, aslong as you're not in a Calorie SURPLUS, you wont gain weight.
    There is nothing wrong with Rice. The rest i can agree with.
    I do highly recommend Red Lentils, the ones i buy has about 325 calories and 24g protein per 100g.

    I actually like your ideas for the Daily, death, flying thing tbh.

  19. #19
    eat less, move more.

  20. #20
    Ok buddy here's the thing u want to get rid of fat there are many ways to accomplish what u want to achieve u can eat less u can exercise more BUT no diet or training will succed if u dont have the WILL for it. Will is the key of loosing weight.... not the pills those are garbage.....
    If u want to loose weight u should ask these question before u start the program:
    Do you have at least 1 hour every day to do some exercise?
    Are u gona be able to follow a special diet for at least 3 months?(no cookies no pastries no chocolate milk)

    If the answer is yes than ill help you.Lets start with the diet.
    In my opinion the easiest way to loose weight without startving is to completely take out carbs from your life for the first month.
    Why? because carbs are the main source of fat. if u eat to much of em u body restores energy as fat. if u stick to protein ur body will use ur body fat.
    That means no pasta,no rice, no bread, anything that has flour in it, no potatoes, beans, or peanut. and the most important thing NO sugar.
    For the first week its gona be a pain in the ass you gona dream about cakes sweets and stuff after that u gona feel ur body reawaken .The first week is crucial. After that u gona just stick to ur pogram and continue it with ease.....
    Another thing wich is extremmely important a male body needs 2000 calories each day just to function. I suggest u should focus ur diet on 1500 calories at the first month and than 1200 on the second one.
    U should always eat your calories. Never EVER drink it. u think 1 glass of orange juice wont hurt? 130calories which is 5 whole oranges..... see the point?
    Water all the way. if u dont like the taste of it put some lemon in it it helps u melt those fats over ur body.
    So what you should eat thats your question i think: Meats, vegetables, low fat milk, low fat cheese, eggs, fish, just to mention some. if u really want to do this ull look on the box anyway how much carb it has. so focus on protein and get rid of carbs and sugar.
    Now fat.....should u eat fat things?! i would say no but while making ur food u should eat a handfull of nuts each day that should serve ur fat needs for a day.

    Exercise. The most effective way to loose way it bam bam bam bam... juggling...... woaw what a surprise... im not gona lie to u for the first 3 weeks its gona be a PAIN IN THE ASS. i always hated juggling before than after those 3 weeks u BECOME ADDICTED TO IT. im not kidding ur body gona need it
    Before u go to juggle take 1 L carnitine capsule( u can buy it at any workout store) it wont make u thin by its own but its gona lift ur body temperature a small amount so while u juggle ur using more calories. 1 hour every second day thats it...... at the beggining its gona be 20 minutes juggling and 40 minutes fast walking but who cares.. its the natural way to get rid of that belly. trust me after 3-4-5 weeks 1 hour juggling gona be nothing.

    1 more thing if ur starving for sweets dont go for diet coke and stuff like that they have carbs aswell its just a simple lie which is on those boxes... go to the gymstore get a box of chocolate or vanilla flavored 100%protein shake and drink it with low fat milk. taste the same as any chocolate milk or vanilla pudding and its good for your body.
    before i forget tryy to eat 6 small meals at daytime it will fasten ur metabolism. u dont have to be full with each meal just a little apetizer always.

    Hope i helpet if u need anything pm me

    P.S. i was fat aswell once.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •