1. #1

    elegon h/c and energy charges as moonkin

    So it probably doesn't matter if its heroic or not but I'm wondering what other moonkins are doing on energy charges? My damage isn't great on them but this is what I'm doing. Try to pump as much dps into elegon in between waves, be in an eclipse with starsurge ready to cast on the charges and put down shrooms so that it will hit at least two of them (hopefully 3, although I haven't checked to see if its hitting three) then just nuking with wrath or starfire (first cast is starsurge). Now looking at the top moonkins log on that fight it appears he is just using lunar show and dotting them up. I can't tell if he is dotting more than one but his damage is phenomenal, second only to a lock that is soulburn seed of corruptioning all of them. I wanna try that tonight, just using lunar shower and hoping for starsurge procs but I don't know if he is dotting more than one. Is this the best way of doing these? Double dot then spam your eclipsed moonfire/sunfire with lunar shower (making sure to use starfall whenever possible)? BTW my overall damage on the fight is very good, I feel like moonkins are one of the best classes for this fight, incarnation/nature's vigil and celestial alignment line up perfectly with each burn phase on elegon.

  2. #2
    i save a starsurge proc and always make sure im in eclipse when they spawn. dots 100% of the time on the boss, and i hit my assigned charge with the eclipsed dot. i skip mushrooms because we use a strat where each dps is assigned to one orb with healers and tanks as floaters to help with unlucky dpsers who get bad crits/procs. mushrooms seem like it would be good dps on the meters, but you lose single target boss damage which is still very important in this phase. using my strat i usually get caught a little out of eclipse on the 3rd round and need some help, but otherwise can solo my charge. killed it tonight actually

    edit: you didn't specify if you run 10s or 25s... the strat you're describing, mushrooms + lunar shower abuse, is probably very good for 25s and is what blood legion's moonkins do. i run 10 man
    Last edited by crunk; 2012-10-30 at 07:29 AM.

  3. #3
    We kill 6 adds per add phase. First four are easily killed, just nuke boss between adds and dot atleast 3 adds with eclipsed dot when they spawn. You will almost always get atleast one instant SS. Starfall is great too, if you have it.

    My strategy for 5th and 6th add is to have CA & Starfall ready when 5th add spawns. Pop starfall and CA (in that order) and dot up the 3 adds on your side. Cast SS/SF as filler. On 6th add you should still have CA up and another Starfall ready cause CA resets it's CD. Repeat 5th add strategy & profit

    Remember to keep dots up on elegon the whole time and you will be good.

  4. #4
    Prator are you talking heroic? Six adds is pretty impressive, it makes me sad to have to use ca on that phase as I like to tie it into incarnation/nature's vigil but with that high of stacks I guess it doesn't matter much anyway. We were only doing four on heroic, five on normal. I've been thinking we need at least 5 on heroic as well but six would really make the enrage much less of a concern (unless we were unable to down a wave and lost that dps time on the boss). The thing is do you have other people helping you on those? In the time you dot up 3 I'm guessing it's already at the half way point, so are there other multi dotters dotting 3 adds? We have a warlock next to me who is trying to soulburn seed of corruption onto all of them but the way I was thinking about it was that us multi dotters could all share a few but I'm not sure if that makes sense. Are you essentially soloing your charge after you dot up the three?

    Also thank you very much for the info, it's very appreciated.

    Crunk: sorry for not specifying, I run 10 man. I was looking at ave's log and he was doing lunar shower spam on 10... But I'm guessing he was dotting up multiple as Prator has suggested. I'm still highly skeptical as to how you would get one add wave down solo if you're dotting more than one but I'm willing to try it and guessing it comes down to starsurge procs.
    Last edited by halfawake; 2012-10-30 at 04:00 PM.

  5. #5
    Not sure about heroic, but when I was having issues with the pillars I switched from incarnation to Soul of the Forrest, that helped a lot to make sure I was always at an eclipse for each orb. Also, whenever I'm in solar I warn the tank on our side about and he does 1 or 2 hits on the orb at the start to help. We have a DK also doing his diseases spread on orbs at start.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by halfawake View Post
    The thing is do you have other people helping you on those?
    We are 25-man guild so we have at least 3 dps per add. We usually have 2 boomkins, 2 locks and 2 spriests who are divided evenly to both sides to dot. Single target dps is divided evenly too.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by halfawake View Post
    Prator are you talking heroic? Six adds is pretty impressive, it makes me sad to have to use ca on that phase as I like to tie it into incarnation/nature's vigil but with that high of stacks I guess it doesn't matter much anyway. We were only doing four on heroic, five on normal. I've been thinking we need at least 5 on heroic as well but six would really make the enrage much less of a concern (unless we were unable to down a wave and lost that dps time on the boss). The thing is do you have other people helping you on those? In the time you dot up 3 I'm guessing it's already at the half way point, so are there other multi dotters dotting 3 adds? We have a warlock next to me who is trying to soulburn seed of corruption onto all of them but the way I was thinking about it was that us multi dotters could all share a few but I'm not sure if that makes sense. Are you essentially soloing your charge after you dot up the three?

    Also thank you very much for the info, it's very appreciated.

    Crunk: sorry for not specifying, I run 10 man. I was looking at ave's log and he was doing lunar shower spam on 10... But I'm guessing he was dotting up multiple as Prator has suggested. I'm still highly skeptical as to how you would get one add wave down solo if you're dotting more than one but I'm willing to try it and guessing it comes down to starsurge procs.

    I think he meant, six adds per spawn, not six spanws total, because that is impossible in heroic at this gear level....plus if they were killing 6 spawns, thats a waste of dps on boss 4 should suffice and ignore 5th...on heroic

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by maradoods View Post
    I think he meant, six adds per spawn, not six spanws total, because that is impossible in heroic at this gear level....plus if they were killing 6 spawns, thats a waste of dps on boss 4 should suffice and ignore 5th...on heroic
    We kill 6 add spawns per phase, 12 total. We ignore 7th add wave and nuke boss. Works just fine

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by maradoods View Post
    I think he meant, six adds per spawn, not six spanws total, because that is impossible in heroic at this gear level....plus if they were killing 6 spawns, thats a waste of dps on boss 4 should suffice and ignore 5th...on heroic
    No, 4 does NOT suffice on heroic.

    We go for 6&6. The last 2 are pretty rough, I believe our moonkin is not dotting. This is 25man so there's some support.

  10. #10
    I don't do much of anything different for the 1-2 Charges. On the 3rd one I usually have SS ready and between that and Starfire it goes down. The 4th one I always have Starfall/SS up so it melts pretty quickly.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by linbro View Post
    No, 4 does NOT suffice on heroic.

    We go for 6&6. The last 2 are pretty rough, I believe our moonkin is not dotting. This is 25man so there's some support.

    I cant recall, I didnt raid last week cause of the storm so no attempts for me, but i know that the 5th one we were just making it, and 6th is just too fast....or maybe it is the 7th lol..
    and yea im only dotting the #1 & #2 spawn but the rest I have to hard cast and hope for SS procs...EDIT yes I raid 25man also
    Last edited by maradoods; 2012-11-06 at 06:35 PM.

  12. #12
    For ten man, killing 4 and letting 5th hit for 10 total come burn phase is more than enough. We've killed it twice now and both times were no where close to an enrage.

    My comp usually has the pally healer casting a couple times on mine to make sure it dies as if I get no crits it can be very hard to kill in time. If I have starfall up I will move very close to Elegon so it hits all 6 charges. And then what you are describing sounds accurate, save a starsurge proc which you should pretty much always have and blow them up. If you are having issues killing it between an eclipse, I'd recommend casting Starfire even if you're in the Wrath part of your rotation as a non-crit Wrath for 40k isn't going to cut it. But that should be last case scenario.

    If you're trying to maximize dps on the charges, shower and shrooms would get you there but what really matters is you handle whatever number your guild agrees to. 25 man raids have to and can kill a couple more charges that ten mans don't have to worry about. Moonkins have high ramp up time and if you're in Wrath rotation our burst among the worst so you can't expect to top damage to charges. If you are having trouble killing your specific charge, either have the tank or healer help out a bit. Just make sure your raid is split up in terms of good burst and bad. For instance our mage is on the other side from me as he is likewise crit-dependent so we have the healer on that end help on his as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •