Poll: OP's Fault or Not?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Haha ya. I was annoyed with myself anyway after I found out for not making sure the door was locked, just wanted to see everyone's opinion though.
    I know the feeling. In my whole life I forgot to lock my bike twice, twice it was stolen. It's like they have some kind of Eagle Vision (AC FTW) that marks unlocked things. Since then I always double check if the bike is locked and while walking away if I have the key in my pockets.

I dont mean to be pedantic, but doesnt BROKEN into, imply that they had to break/vandalise your property in order to gain access, i.e break a window, jimmy a door etc.. I dont think walking up and opening counts as breaking in, wonder how its covered on insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    I dont mean to be pedantic, but doesnt BROKEN into, imply that they had to break/vandalise your property in order to gain access, i.e break a window, jimmy a door etc.. I dont think walking up and opening counts as breaking in, wonder how its covered on insurance
    You're right in that it's not really "broken" into, however I wasn't really sure of another way to word that better. It is clearly outlined in the OP though that I had made a mistake by not making sure the passenger door was locked, so I was hoping that would clear up any confusion. They did enter without permission and steal though so *shrug*.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Honestly, I'm not even worried about the insurance. I haven't reported it to them nor am I certain I should. Afraid they'd bring costs up on me (rightfully so), and the GPS was only worth about $100 which I'll cover.
    Strangely enough, the car insurance would not cover it. Home owners insurance covers the things INSIDE your car as stupid as that sounds. You can't claim a gps with your car insurance and if you don't have your own home/renters policy, it's the victims loss either way.

Editing for clarity: I know this because when my car was broken into, they stole my gps and an old iPod (deck of cards looking old). Neither were covered under my car insurance.
    Last edited by Aoyi; 2012-11-06 at 11:44 PM.

Deleted
    Drivers responsibility is the car.

As many other threads on this forum have made clear, the majority of posters here are criminal opportunists.

It was the thief's fault your GPS was stolen. It was your/your friend's fault for creating the opportunity, however.

Deleted
    OP, I don't think this is your fault, atleast not 100%.

It's true, you should have checked if the doors were closed, like a lot of people have said so far, but in my opinion, it wouldn't really matter since the thief could always break in, that is, if he would bother himself to do so. Some times people won't because it will make noise and stuff, even so yeah, it's just too bad that you won't get an insurance or something.

If someone really wants to steal something from your car, a locked door isn't going to stop them. I've had windows broken out many times when I lived in bad neighborhoods.

Clearly it's your fault if you're the one that stole it. Should have you checked to make sure the door was locked? Yes, but that doesn't mean you're to blame.

To those talking about people who would break into the car anyway, that's quite possible, and I'm glad my windows are fine. My dad had that happen to him several years ago, but with that said, I don't want that to really down play my mistake either.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's really the thieve's fault for being a douchbag. Never hide anything in the glovebox though, everyone checks there first. I put mine in a locking first aid slot under the passenger seat. Who needs bandages when it makes a perfectly good safe XD.

It's the thief's fault, but don't make it easy on them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Your fault, you should've locked all the doors after leaving the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

The options for this poll confuse me. Are you implying that, if it was your fault for leaving the car door unlocked, the thief isn't at fault for going in to your car and stealing from it?

It's both your fault for not locking your car's doors, and the thief's fault for stealing in the first place.

Deleted
    Obviously thieve's fault, but OP we are not living in candyworld anymore, don't leave your stuff unlocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see that as your fault.

How many thieves walk around checking for unlocked doors? Do car thieves go from car to car checking to see which one is unlocked? Of course not.

My guess is that someone knew that door was unlocked before of even thinking to steal anything. This comes down to what kinda lock you have on your door. Was it one that has a obvious pole sticking up from the window that you can see a mile away? I would imagine that it might be your friend if it was not.

Even if it was premeditated, the thief was going to break into your car regardless of the door being unlocked. If it was no premeditated, ... just no. That's not possible. Thieves or potential thieves don't go around trying each door nob to see which one is open.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously....anyone who blames anyone but the thief is being absolutely ridiculous
    He chose to break into the car and snoop around and then steal something.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 12:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Your fault, you should've locked all the doors after leaving the vehicle.
    I guess that's why stealing is illegal and being stolen from isn't.

One person committed a crime, the one at fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    It is legal to walk into another person's home if the door is open. The police can do surprise searches that way. If the door is closed and left unlocked, it is illegal to go in. I am sure the same rules apply for cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I don't really see that as your fault.

How many thieves walk around checking for unlocked doors? Do car thieves go from car to car checking to see which one is unlocked? Of course not.

My guess is that someone knew that door was unlocked before of even thinking to steal anything. This comes down to what kinda lock you have on your door. Was it one that has a obvious pole sticking up from the window that you can see a mile away? I would imagine that it might be your friend if it was not.

Even if it was premeditated, the thief was going to break into your car regardless of the door being unlocked. If it was no premeditated, ... just no. That's not possible. Thieves or potential thieves don't go around trying each door nob to see which one is open.
    The lock on my doors are like little poles as you described, makes it easy to see if it's locked or not sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The options for this poll confuse me. Are you implying that, if it was your fault for leaving the car door unlocked, the thief isn't at fault for going in to your car and stealing from it?

It's both your fault for not locking your car's doors, and the thief's fault for stealing in the first place.
    I apologize for not making the pole more clear, I'm not sure how to edit (or if I even can) edit the pole to do so. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    Obviously thieve's fault, but OP we are not living in candyworld anymore, don't leave your stuff unlocked.
    You know, I actually find this a bit rude seeing as how in the OP it's obvious it was a mistake and I don't believe I said anything that implied I thought that we ever lived in "candyworld."

It's your fault for leaving a door unlocked and the theif's for stealing. I honestly think your stuff getting stolen is punishment enough and your dad shouldn't have yelled at you.
    Raaaa!