Poll: Which of these best match your opinion on teachers?

Thread: Teachers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    It is harder to give fair attention, especially for students struggling to reach the goals or for those who are bored. I typically know those students within the first week and tailor things around it. However one on one tutoring can be crippling for a student. Too many end up relying on it. I really only do that in rare circumstances and when I've exhausted all other avenues.
    I wasn't suggesting tutoring, I think that's best reserved for students who are entirely failing to grasp the material, or are seeking to learn something outside the cirriculum.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post

And technology should replace them? Seriously? Like....seriously? Even a bad teacher is better than technology, because education (especially from age 12-18, which was the bracket you used) is not only about learning useless shit that you probably won't remember in a few years, but about learning social skills
    I'll just plop this here:

OT: I've had mostly good teachers, but I've had a few terrible ones as well.. Seems the terrible ones have been in the math field though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squaddles View Post
    I already posted that!

Quote Originally Posted by Squaddles View Post
    Making kids learn stuff through a digital "teacher" based on the flawed arguments that traditional education makes some kids go slower than they should have to and some go faster than they can handle (the problem isn't teaching rhythm, it's the fact that many, many times, people are forced to study things that they couldn't care less about, instead of allowing them to choose subjects they actually have interest in. And people aren't forced to go slower than they should because of this system. A truly interested student can and should learn more than what is taught at school, by his own initiative) or because somehow the social factor of going to school isn't relevant enough, or because financial motivations; sounds like a terrible, terrible idea to me.

But then again, I'm glad I'm taking a degree in humanities where students are actually encouraged to debate things at the class, with each other and with the teacher, instead of just watching the teacher write some equations on the blackboard

Deleted
    My opinion is a bit of choice A and choice B. They probably mean well, they are restricted by the system, but they are lazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked all my teachers, there were a couple of grumpy teachers in my school but fortunately for me I didn't get them. The graphics teacher is actually what put me off doing graphics again after I did it in year 9 though, he yelled at everyone for anything. Even when he was just talking it sounded like he was yelling. but apart from that guy, all my teachers were great and did a great job at teaching.

Funnily enough I had the same teacher when I did automotive in year 11, and he wasn't so bad as an automotive teacher. He seemed much more laid back, but in graphics he was still yelling at everyone left right and centre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most teachers are good and a very important part of the learning process. However, some teachers are terrible and will ruin your life in 5th grade because you were sick for a week and was left behind because they would not explain the material that you missed but would tell your parents that they did teach it to you and then send you down to refocus for the rest of the year, causing you to stop scoring in the 99th percentile and falling to average and below average all throughout middle school and most of high school. I mean, in general, that totally wasn't a specific example or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Your poll is very biased, giving no room for a positive opinion of teachers. As such I can't vote. The teachers in my high school were amazing, and the goodwill I experienceded was without limit.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    Your poll is very biased, giving no room for a positive opinion of teachers. As such I can't vote. The teachers in my high school were amazing, and the goodwill I experienceded was without limit.
    That's why you click "Other."

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Had a horrible witch as a teacher from 1st-3rd grade, she hated me and I hated her as a result of that, eventually my parents told her to fuck off pretty much and that sorted her out. From grade 3 and onwards they were all really solid, some were actually really cool.

The teacher that had the main responsibilty over and my class mates in the gymnasium was really awesome, good memories for the most part, well maybe not the day after school prom when he had invited as all over to his house for a "fika"... we were all pretty fucking hangover. He knew we would be
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    I only remember my first and second grade teacher (same person) and she was amazing, but, than again, who doesn't like their first and second grade teacher?? Lol, apparently the guy above me.

I don't remember anything from middle school, I barely even remember what school I went to.

I hated all of my teachers in high school. They were terrible teachers, and terrible people.

College is another story, I have yet to find a teacher that I don't like. I had 1 that was really boring (it was history so there isn't much he can do to make that exciting) but he was a really smart and nice guy so I respected him.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-11-07 at 03:20 AM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sort the system and the culture out before blaming teachers. Then you can judge them objectively.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Most of my teachers we nice and helpful, but many were lazy too. I've only had 2 absolutely horrible teachers.
    X

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Making kids learn stuff through a digital "teacher" based on the flawed arguments that traditional education makes some kids go slower than they should have to and some go faster than they can handle (the problem isn't teaching rhythm, it's the fact that many, many times, people are forced to study things that they couldn't care less about, instead of allowing them to choose subjects they actually have interest in. And people aren't forced to go slower than they should because of this system. A truly interested student can and should learn more than what is taught at school, by his own initiative) or because somehow the social factor of going to school isn't relevant enough, or because financial motivations; sounds like a terrible, terrible idea to me.

But then again, I'm glad I'm taking a degree in humanities where students are actually encouraged to debate things at the class, with each other and with the teacher, instead of just watching the teacher write some equations on the blackboard
    Traditional models of education, i.e. Teacher stands at the top of the room "delivering" the lesson is flawed. The majority of current research points to the requirement for an alternative pedagogical approach.

This is made harder by a standardized testing system that rewards students not for creativity, innovation and supplementary information but the retention of A, B and C. Many students are in fact conditioned to go slower than the could otherwise go. There is a wonderful body of research now on the "gifted child" and how in even normal classrooms one can cater to them.

I'm fairly surprised you're not more critical of the University format of education. Seminars are quite interesting, however the majority of my time doing my BA, PDE and MA were spent in large rooms with one speaker.

I.. like most of the teachers I had. They all seemed to sincerely care about the kids. You don't really go into a job that pays like shit unless you care, dood.

Deleted
    It's a job. Many teachers, like many other employees, come to work and then can't wait to go home. Not all teachers love their work or working with kids, many got to do this job because the circumstances favored it, not because they always wanted to be a teacher.

Other teachers realize that this job is far from being their dream come true, and begin to hate it. However, it's way too late to start doing something else so they put up with it because they have no other choice.

Deleted
    They're all glorified psychiatrists with little to no knowledge about the subject they are teaching. The last 6 years in mandatory school has nothing to do with learning, it's an etiquette course if anything. You could compress the 9(10) mandatory school years into 3 years and the quality of the education wouldn't be harmed at all.

I can't say anything about university level teachers as I've never gone. But for mandatory school/high school teachers I'm pretty spot on :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    They're all glorified psychiatrists with little to no knowledge about the subject they are teaching. The last 6 years in mandatory school has nothing to do with learning, it's an etiquette course if anything. You could compress the 9(10) mandatory school years into 3 years and the quality of the education wouldn't be harmed at all.

I can't say anything about university level teachers as I've never gone. But for mandatory school/high school teachers I'm pretty spot on :>
    Apparently wasting eight years of my life studying history to be a history teacher means I have no knowledge about the subject I intend to teach.

Fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Apparently wasting eight years of my life studying history to be a history teacher means I have no knowledge about the subject I intend to teach.

Fascinating.
    So you mean you've spent 8 years of education (outside of High school) to teach in mandatory school, which happens to be what I'm talking about here? I think you're about to underachieve on a grand scale in that case o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    So you mean you've spent 8 years of education (outside of High school) to teach in mandatory school? I think you're about to underachieve on a grand scale in that case o.O
    I have to work to pay for my master's somehow.

Some people join the military to serve their country of residence. I pull for the public service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.