Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Nothing bothers me at all, other than the fact that people think bitching on a forum is going to change something.
    So your solution is to have them not discuss things at all? We should all just sit around agreeing how awesome the game is and not discuss how it can be improved as it's pointless and no developer will ever take community feedback, right?

I'm sorry I just don't agree with the sheep mentality, we as a society should encourage critical thought and discussion, not try to kill it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    And while you seem pretty level headed in this post, your last one was a base, dismissive post of people that aren't suckling at the EA teat right now like soft, warm kitties going purr purr purr. I can't speak to other websites like you mentioned, though I've read several threads on the official forums where there are plenty of people presenting the same arguments we do and met with harsh, selfish, game destroying attitudes which I have posted about already.
    Don't worry about it. I've posted some things that I thought were pretty reasonable, but came off wrong. I enjoy other games, and like to scan various forums when on break or at lunch. It can kill your spirit though, when you read some of the comments on massively.com and ign.com (several others, too). It really appears that limiting a few of the features that everyone who tried the game got used to, has set off a firestorm for the players that want to come back. So maybe that contributes to some of my more unreasonable posts. On the other hand, I have no sympathy for the players that never tried the game, and were just waiting for it to go F2P. I know several of these posters at work (in real life), and they aren't contributing anything by trying to destroy any game that isn't their favorite.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    On the other hand, I have no sympathy for the players that never tried the game, and were just waiting for it to go F2P. I know several of these posters at work (in real life), and they aren't contributing anything by trying to destroy any game that isn't their favorite.
    Me either, so I completely understand that part. I don't stand around just to bash a game that I don't like. If I don't like a game, I would have never really played it to begin with...so there's no way I would be on a forum talking about it. I honestly haven't played any games I *disliked* ever really. I enjoy my time with them and then move on if they aren't fulfilling.

Case in point would be TERA. I posted a couple of times about it, will still to this day profess the greatness of it's aesthetic, graphics, and performance...mentioned a few times that the rest of the game was utter grindfest crap, but I'm not in that thread championing for change or trashing the game.

If people still like that game, more power to them. I rant in these forums because I love SWTOR and want it done right. I've had ups and downs with their ideas, that have swayed me whether I will be paying or playing, and above all I have a severe loathing for EA as a company. These things can be easily taken from my posts at this point. I'm not going to stop talking though just because I'm not at a perfect place with the game.

In fact, when the game is almost perfect I will tend to not talk about it at all.

In fact, when the game is almost perfect I will tend to not talk about it at all.
    This. When things are going well people are usually too busy enjoying themselves to write 5 page essays about fundamental flaws that alienate the player base.

"The Division of Player Base and the Alienation of Dailies" By Karthax Murkz
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-11-13 at 06:08 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I agree, but there's a vast difference in critical discussion and incessant bitching. Both can be seen in clear context in this thread along with many others.

Kitty made some excellent posts above regarding what things he thinks would be great inclusions that would also fit in with the universe or extended universe, HK has also made quite a few nice additions. By and large, these are welcome points to be made, discussed, and talked about on the forums, because everyone generally can get involved.

On the flipside, the amount of ridiculous bitching going on is a waste of everyone's time. There's not a lot of that recently, although there is some. That's what confuses me.

I try to be very reasonable and diplomatic, and I come across the wrong way sometimes too.

On the flipside, the amount of ridiculous bitching going on is a waste of everyone's time. There's not a lot of that recently, although there is some. That's what confuses me.
    Most of the people who just come in and bash the game are tourists. Its best to just ignore them or call them out on it. I mean, there's, what? 20 people who really post here? And yes, we probably have two to three times in that in lurks but still. You know where we all stand, we've been talking about this stuff since launch, we can't honestly say we "hate" swtor since we are all still here. The only people who "hate" swtor are the people who just stroll in here and say stuff like "LOLF2PLOL" and then go back to the monk subforum.
    I DO think that these forums are read by EA/Bioware. I think that this forum has an added benefit of moving slowly. We actually have real discussions on these boards so they are usually more fruitful than that fuck fest over at swtor.com. We spent like, a week talking about how the queues might be threatened with the current f2p model and by friday they had sent out a general response about it. I don't think that was a coincidence. I think that they do monitor their community closely. Its just that the community they have is different than the community they were expecting so they are stuck playing catch up. I fully expect we will see addons soon, and I hope EA charges for them.

Idk. Its all gonna be okay. Just ignore the tourists.

Ah, one of my favorite things I've ever seen Joss Whedon say...

"If we could live without passion maybe we’d know some kind of peace…"

The truth is that people's love (or want thereof) of the game is what drives a lot of these posts, and I get that.

I just wish there was more self-control is all.

I love the game. I don't wish for addons (unnecessary and harmful, IMO), more Cartel Coins (just gives people more reason to bitch), customizable starships (much rather development cash goes elsewhere than... wallpaper for a ship I've spent < 5 minutes in in the last month), DPS meters (turn away and run fast), macros (end result is generally not worth it's value) or a lot of other things people piss and moan about.

The core experience is there, and it's great. I just would rather look at the things I have fun doing vs. the things I wish were there, because those things that aren't there are NOT gamebreaking. In fact, most of the "missing" things above are what makes this game more fun to play for me than WOW ever was... as a result of macros and DBM, WOW (for me) became a faceroll spam-fest, and I broke the 2 and 3 key on 2 different computers because of it.

Anyways...

The core experience is there, and it's great.
    The 1 to 50 experience the best in the genre. That's pretty much undisputed even by fanbois of other games.
    As to the rest, the way in which they normalize pvp for 10-49 should have been extended to the 50s bracket. Swtor has, in my opinion, the best MMO pvp out there. There is so much they could do to build on it. I am not crazy about like... ilum. I think world pvp tends to be exploited hard unless its has no rewards. However, structured pvp is less exploitable and I would love to see ilum remade into an instanced AV thing. I would love to see a moba inspired pvp map. I would love to see so much expanded on in this game. I would love to see different map sizes of all the maps too.
    I don't mind macros and addons so much. I haven't had much need of them and if other people think they need it, fine. So long as it keeps them here shelling out money to support the things I care about. The few times I've really gone macro heavy it has been to essentially exploit. Not do anything that breaks the TOS but definitely stuff that you wouldn't be able to do without macros. And it resulted in some pretty crazy awesome stuff. Not exactly balanced stuff. Some addons I think would be good. Power auras for one. Bioware has been struggling with spell indicators and each patch they seem to struggle more. By selling power auras they could say "it no longer matters. stop wasting development time on it. if they really care they will spend 5 bucks on power auras".
    Duel currency allows the people who have extra money to spend it. That's always a good thing. I want as much money going into this as possible so it not only survives EA but thrives in spite of it.
    As for space, I know you view it just as a minigame, but I think that something on the order of moonbreakers or freelancer or JTL would really add a dimension to this game that it needs.
    Something you've probably noticed is that I am all about diversifying game play. I think that development hours should be spent on making a more holistic star wars experience rather than just +1 raid +1 wz +1 daily hub. I think that copying that from WoW is a losing strategy because the people who are content with WoWs model... Are probably still playing WoW.

I want swtor to get back to where I think its population should be. 750k to 1 million. I am shocked that its dropped to 500k or w/e. I think that the drop goes beyond people disliking the game to being unsure about the direction of the games development. People don't feel comfortable investing their time and money into an MMO if they don't know what is coming. I think that EA should do a 12/20/12 "The new year" video of what their goal for swtors development will be. I think that video should include a JTL eske expansion. There's been some rumors that we will see something like that on the 20th. I hope its true.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    The 1 to 50 experience the best in the genre. That's pretty much undisputed even by fanbois of other games.
    1-50 first time each faction is great. but as people play alts to see the class stories, the world stories and quests get really, really tiresome. There are too many fairly static, non-dynamic kill X or click a particular glowie kinds of quests.

I have leveled all 4 Republic classes to 50. I am lvl 49 on my Sith Inquisitor and even though I want to see the rest of the Imperial class stories, I don't really want to have to do all these planets again. After doing them 5 times even with the differences Republic vs Imperial, I am sick of them.

I think what I may do is unsub for a while and then come back when these planets seem a bit more fresh to me again. I just worry that the game will no longer be around when I decide to do that, which would be a shame since I want to see the class stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    1-50 first time each faction is great. but as people play alts to see the class stories, the world stories and quests get really, really tiresome. There are too many fairly static, non-dynamic kill X or click a particular glowie kinds of quests.

I have leveled all 4 Republic classes to 50. I am lvl 49 on my Sith Inquisitor and even though I want to see the rest of the Imperial class stories, I don't really want to have to do all these planets again. After doing them 5 times even with the differences Republic vs Imperial, I am sick of them.

I think what I may do is unsub for a while and then come back when these planets seem a bit more fresh to me again. I just worry that the game will no longer be around when I decide to do that, which would be a shame since I want to see the class stories.
    I can agree with that.

However, I am also sick of every zone in WoW. As I did them all while leveling up, in both factions. My sig is only my alliance toons, I also have a bunch of horde from woltk.

The only "dynamic" leveling experience I have has been in gw2 and rift and it was limited. I would have rather had the stories from swtor.

See? This is discussion.

I would love to diversify the gameplay.

I agree that SWTOR PVP is great. I'm also the guy in the Halo playlists that has 958123487234 games in Objective and like... 4 in Team Slayer. I love the objective aspect of the SWTOR PVP.

I think the leveling experience is cool too, although I am not really into leveling multiple toons in MMOs. I had my main in WOW, and leveled an alt healer to 79 and quit because I didn't want to get into endgame with it, because I'm a min-maxer and having another toon anywhere not maxed pisses me off.

I am an endgamer, and I actually like the SWTOR endgame setup just fine. I'm in the only guild on my server to down TFB 16 HM Repub. We run TONS of Ops, FPs, etc each week. I am also a professional and have a 2-year-old, so not having to raid for 5 hours 5-6 nights a week is great for me. What we do, however, is still a lot and I enjoy it.

The thing I wish there was more of in SWTOR is "authentic" Star Wars experiences. I don't think people left the game because it's terrible (because it's not). I think MOST people left because there's not enough Star Wars in it. Beyond lightsabers and the sound effects/music, there's really not a whole lot that the casual Star Wars fan (i.e., someone who is not into EU, backstory, KOTOR games, etc) would really recognize. I realize it's 3000+ years before the trilogy, but still, I think more could be done here. I'm not interested in wallpaper for my starship. But something is missing.

I also wish there were more events. I know WOW has all of the holidays, and I'm not even sure that's necessary (although some recognition of a couple of them would be fun). Maybe the creation of some new holidays within the universe would work. Something. The Rakghoul event was cool, and there were TONS of people logging in for that and TONS of buzz about the game then. Where are some more of those?

I also wish there were more events. I know WOW has all of the holidays, and I'm not even sure that's necessary (although some recognition of a couple of them would be fun). Maybe the creation of some new holidays within the universe would work. Something. The Rakghoul event was cool, and there were TONS of people logging in for that and TONS of buzz about the game then. Where are some more of those?
    I will be disappointed if we dont see an event soon. 10.12.12 : my guess for the new event start.

As to the rest, the way in which they normalize pvp for 10-49 should have been extended to the 50s bracket. Swtor has, in my opinion, the best MMO pvp out there. There is so much they could do to build on it. I am not crazy about like... ilum. I think world pvp tends to be exploited hard unless its has no rewards. However, structured pvp is less exploitable and I would love to see ilum remade into an instanced AV thing. I would love to see a moba inspired pvp map. I would love to see so much expanded on in this game. I would love to see different map sizes of all the maps too.
    I would really love when they would make civil war the same as novare coast..... no camping from either side because some people see the game lost while being at 200/180 and there is nothing you can do about it. You can't even put them on ignore and not getting into the same team again because you do.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post

I just finished my 6th character (5 imperials/ 1 republic) while having another lvl 40ish on imperial side and another lvl 40 marauder on another server... so I've seen plenty of the planets (I played Sith Warrior Class 2x and will play again, Sith Sorcerer twice and Bounty Hutner twice so far). However as I do like to do a lot of pvp (ding to lvl 50 at around 5k playerkills with my mercenary) and putting some flashpoints in between you can fairly easy do only your class quest (which is what is interesting) and completely skip any planetary quest. I do have some planets I reallly like (Hoth for example) I will do all the quests available just to stay longer on that planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    So which game provides enough content to keep you busy for a full week with (apparently) tons of hours to spend while playing only one char. I didn't encounter any such MMO in the last... well since I'm playing MMO's.
    Mabinogi.

I've been playing (well, more like played at this point) that game on and off for the last three years with one character. Why? It has an "infinite," level cap. It also has a free form, classless leveling system. You can rank up any skill you like, there are no restrictions (though, there are some race specific skills). And let me tell you, there are a lot of them. Hell, there's a dungeon in that game I haven't even entered because despite the ridiculous amount of time I've spent with the game, I'm still not strong enough for it. I might be able to squeak by with a really good party, but still. There are a ton of features/mechanics that lend itself to longevity. Games like that DO exist. I imagine EVE is another, though I personally haven't played it for any significant amount of time.

Anyways, I decided to resub to SWTOR (technically I never went past my free month when the game launched) as I wanted to play through some of the story lines and I'm in the mood for a bit of Star Wars. This time, I know what to expect. I'm going to treat it more like a co-op RPG and embrace the story aspects, which for $15, is fine by me. At least that's how I've justified it in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    I will be disappointed if we dont see an event soon. 10.12.12 : my guess for the new event start.
    If that's life day or whatever it's called then that is the next event. Some stuff has already been data mined.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
    If that's life day or whatever it's called then that is the next event. Some stuff has already been data mined.
    Good point. Yes they datamined several Life Day rewards a while ago (LD robe, orb etc). SWG celebrated Life Day every Xmas so that could be the route TOR takes aswell.

I hope they won't take over any "holiday" festivities from "our world" but instead take over celebratrions based on SW lore. Would be nice to not only play in SW but also learn more about it.

Almost 80% of swtor players have done as leadsop has asked, they shut up and quit.

I don't think that's a good thing. I would rather they stayed and keep complaining about the things they want/need in an mmo so they could be added and we could have a larger community.
    Completely irrelevant statement. 75-80% is pretty much the standard for people trying out mmo's and leaving. Even WoW confirms this, they just have a higher number of players and have contracts in other regions that pay different amounts and as thus can pad their sub numbers above others.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2012-11-15 at 05:13 AM. Reason: lol, autocorrect made mmo...mom.../sigh

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    Completely irrelevant statement. 75-80% is pretty much the standard for people trying out mom's and leaving. Even WoW confirms this, they just have a higher number of players and have contracts in other regions that pay different amounts and as thus can pad their sub numbers above others.
    My concept of Moms is clearly wrong. What is going on in this world?

My concept of Moms is clearly wrong. What is going on in this world?
    lol, autocorrect on my tablet made mmo...mom