Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Melee Dps - Most active?

Are there currently any melee dps with something to constantly do?

I've been playing my hunter now for a long time, and steady/cobra shot has spoiled me. It doesn't do much damage, but it gives me something to press while everything else is on cooldown/out of focus.

I really want to try melee but i find myself getting bored as there is always a second or two of nothing to press, for example rogue, i love the idea of them but i'm constantly out of energy and wait 2 seconds or so at a time before being able to do sinister strike or w.e

I haven't tried a melee since cata, are they all still like this? What would be the most active dps currently?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I did: Frost DK. Melee+spell casting and god do you run around. PvP they're all over the place.

Rogues stealth alot so not always fighting. Want the activity you want a plate fighter that's less likely to have down time (like being stunned and silenced). Found Frost DKs satisfied my like to keep busy (I just don't like playing DPS). First time I took him into DS (never took him in a public group, and frankly only played Frost in PvP only a couple of times) ranked #8 in DPS. Knew nothing of the rotation or whatever, just blasted. That is definitely a killing machine spec even for complete n00bs to DPS.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

If you can manage your resource properly there's always something to do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    If you can manage your resource properly there's always something to do.
    Wouldn't that involve not doing something though? For example on rogue, i can do sinister strike but i wait till i have 60 energy before using it, that's still counting as a time doing nothing from my perspective. (Do note i have little experience in this field, so yeah i could be completely wrong, but that's why i'm posting!)

Smile

Auto attack is the word we are looking for! That is what melee does when waiting on cooldowns or resources.

Edit: And on an assassination rogue this is the most beautiful part of the rotation. Just look at the poison melting the target away!

Edit 2: But yes, sometimes you'll just be staring at your screen for a second.
    Last edited by rakhakash; 2012-11-07 at 12:59 AM.

Deleted
    If you manage your rage correctly (that just involves not dumping rage at the wrong time) there's almost always something to do on Arms Warrior. Applying colossus smash, following your priority list for spells, dumping rage when you have it, there's always something up.
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-11-07 at 01:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know i know Would be nice to spam a crappy ability though, does really low damage but something to press. Meh, i guess i'll just have to force myself to try it again, i really want to try melee so i'm gna have to do it regardless, would be nice to know the class with the least ammount of 'sit autoattacking' though :P

2H Frost DKs are very close to GCD capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Wouldn't that involve not doing something though? For example on rogue, i can do sinister strike but i wait till i have 60 energy before using it, that's still counting as a time doing nothing from my perspective. (Do note i have little experience in this field, so yeah i could be completely wrong, but that's why i'm posting!)
    I can't really speak from a Rogue's perspective, but I think that's why things like haste/SnD affect energy regen. So there is less time between abilities. But it's a balancing act: What's the perfect timing of waiting for regen and using abilities to give the least amount of time between your big damagers? It's the most fun part of melee imo. (I say melee because ranged don't really have issues with resource management, except maybe Hunters.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I can say that ret has downtime until high gear levels, so if you want 100% of something-to-do, don't play a ret. :P

What level is your rogue? Do you have acces to every rogue ability?

As a Warrior both in Arms and Fury there is usualy always something to do. In Arms if nothing procs to spam then you can ALWAYS Slam as you WILL always have rage for it.

In Fury it depends. If you spec Bloodbath for DPS there can be times when the Gods of RNG won't give you shit and you and up for about a GDC with nothing to do, if you have Heroic Throw, Shout, Heroic Leap on cooldown and you have no rage to Heroic Strike. It does not happen often but it CAN happen. But if you spec Storm Bolt which sims a couple of hundred dps less then BB on a raid boss, you will always have something to do as Storm Bolt has a relativly low cooldown and you biggest issue will be that often you wont find a whole to fit it into your rotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    WW Monk feels similar to a rogue but the Chi resource makes it feel like you've got more stuff to do most of the time. I rarely find myself having downtime as one. Same thing for Ret Paladins with enough haste to keep downtime to a minimum. Warriors tend to have short downtime occasionally but nothing too bad, especially if you manage rage pretty efficiently.

I can't say much for Rogues though since there's a bit of downtime with pooling energy at some points. Same for Enhancement Shaman seeing as how I haven't really tried them out since the patch. Same for Feral Cats and DKs too...

Long-story short, I recommend you try a Monk, Warrior or Paladin dps. You might find one to your liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Only played ret as lvl 90, but I got pretty much all my GCD filled, sitting on 6000 haste atm. (When I dont got a filler spell to use to generate HoP, I usualy trow off an instant FoL or something to aid my raid, helps alot with a 160k heal on progress raids)
    People say ret is so faceroll, and well yeah - the dps part is very, just hold your priority order and you'll do fine. But to get good at it you need to know when to use all your other spells aswell, while not losing dps doing it...

TL; DR always something to do as ret, in my opionion
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    I can't really speak from a Rogue's perspective, but I think that's why things like haste/SnD affect energy regen. So there is less time between abilities. But it's a balancing act: What's the perfect timing of waiting for regen and using abilities to give the least amount of time between your big damagers? It's the most fun part of melee imo. (I say melee because ranged don't really have issues with resource management, except maybe Hunters.)
    a massive part of demo lock is resource management too!

OT - frost DK. damn near GCD capped in entry level gear. DW frost can be resource starved a bit if you mess up the priority. 2H is hard to mess up and will only be resource starved every couple minutes and not for long. plus frost is so much fun

To be honest, one of the things I really enjoy about my fury warrior is that it isn't mindless (an exaggeration, I know) button smashing all the time. I like that sometimes the correct thing to do is to not push anything.

Compared to my frost dk, where most of the time I'll spam buttons like crazy but then still end up at a 2-3-4 second window where I can't do anything, the "I could use attacks but I shouldn't" is a lot better "downtime" if you ask me.

Rets have a "problem" with getting into situations where every dps ability we have is on CD, it's maybe 10sec full on a 6min fight but it gets better with haste. Still really annoying sitting there and going "meh" and wait for a second doing absolutly nothing.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Windwalkers are pretty hectic if you feel like trying to use FoF as much as possible, even without it we rarely have any downtime or inactive periods.
    Last edited by mmocee72ac48eb; 2012-11-07 at 01:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I know i know Would be nice to spam a crappy ability though, does really low damage but something to press. Meh, i guess i'll just have to force myself to try it again, i really want to try melee so i'm gna have to do it regardless, would be nice to know the class with the least ammount of 'sit autoattacking' though :P
    Frost DKs, hands down, Frost DKs.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

If you're talking Rogues then yes the rotation is kind of slow at the moment, it's because we're in the first tier so by the time we get to the end of MoP we'll have a hell of a lot more Haste. End of Cata Combat Rogues actually had so much Haste they would be frequently energy capping, which frankly is more frustrating than empty globals!

Having empty space in your rotation is a good thing, it gives you time to check your positioning, use defensive CDs to help healers and save your own skin, look at what everyone else in the team is doing and potentially help them out, or just plan your DPS CDs, pots etc.

In any case you never stop pressing buttons, just keep hammering the Mutilate button even if you're out of energy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Rogues stealth alot so not always fighting.
    Er... you mean in PVP? In PVE you should never stealth and stop attacking as a Rogue!

energy classes have downtime. some like it, some don't.

if you want to be gcd capped, try a warrior, or any other melee really.