Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Chill guys, it's a valid question although a bit off topic.

    When I got this laptop (I think about two and a half years ago), I was still living at home with my parents and at school. Actually, I still am and will be until about mid next year. There isn't room here for a second desktop. Believe me, I didn't enjoy going to dreamhack Valencia BYOC with a 15 inch laptop with everyone else and their towering... towers.

    Back to the more technical issue: I often run CPU-Z and GPU-Z on my second monitor. The one thing I'd say really sticks out is that CPU-Z rarely reports more than 50% load on any core, even when the computer feels slow and low in FPS. I'm not 100% up on how a processor actually works, in the same way that we never use 100% of our brains at the same time because firing off every neuron simultaneously would produce nothing coherent, I assumed it was the same with CPUs. I do notice though that if I'm running a simcraft sim it will reach 100% load and stay there for the duration of the sim.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

  2. #22
    Mechagnome bungeebungee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC
    Posts
    666
    Check overheating anyway. Some people (myself included) suddenly ran into problems with 5.x and overheating, something about a change to how it handled FPS. If I recall, 5.x runs more or less full bore regardless of what you are doing or where you are. It seems to be a known issue with 5.x.

  3. #23
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,752
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    Back to the more technical issue: I often run CPU-Z and GPU-Z on my second monitor. The one thing I'd say really sticks out is that CPU-Z rarely reports more than 50% load on any core, even when the computer feels slow and low in FPS. I'm not 100% up on how a processor actually works, in the same way that we never use 100% of our brains at the same time because firing off every neuron simultaneously would produce nothing coherent, I assumed it was the same with CPUs. I do notice though that if I'm running a simcraft sim it will reach 100% load and stay there for the duration of the sim.
    If you have four cores and all of them are running at 50%, that is equivalent to two cores at 100%. (numbers taken out of thin air)
    Games typically care little about cores and threads beyond two, but instead preferring higher clock speeds.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    If you have four cores and all of them are running at 50%, that is equivalent to two cores at 100%. (numbers taken out of thin air)
    Games typically care little about cores and threads beyond two, but instead preferring higher clock speeds.
    Alright, I'll keep an eye on clock speed then.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 12:35 PM ----------

    seems to be running between 2500 MHz and 2700 MHz while gaming.

    EDIT: That said, it was running quite smoothly on the war z. I'll check it again next time it nose dives in performance.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 12:56 PM ----------

    Ok, playing dishonored, notice it feels slow, check accross to CPU-Z. Sure enough, it won't go over 1980.86MHz. It went to 2.7GHz on the war z and ran fine, now it won't break 2.0. Could something be stopping it from going that high on certain games?
    Last edited by SpacedOut; 2012-11-07 at 12:36 PM.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    Might I ask why in the actual teabag you'd get a laptop for gaming? You're paying far more for something far worse.

    As for the actual question, people have already answered that. I'm just really curious as to why.
    I bought a gaming laptop once, an expensive one. It's a mistake I will never make again.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    Ok, playing dishonored, notice it feels slow, check accross to CPU-Z. Sure enough, it won't go over 1980.86MHz. It went to 2.7GHz on the war z and ran fine, now it won't break 2.0. Could something be stopping it from going that high on certain games?
    How's the CPU usage looking like when compared to War Z? lower or higher? How about CPU temperature?

    It could be your laptop reached some temperature breakpoint and it won't turbo over 2GHz anymore, or Dishonored has so high CPU usage that the turbo won't raise clockspeeds.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    How's the CPU usage looking like when compared to War Z? lower or higher? How about CPU temperature?

    It could be your laptop reached some temperature breakpoint and it won't turbo over 2GHz anymore, or Dishonored has so high CPU usage that the turbo won't raise clockspeeds.
    CPU Usage and temps were all up from how they were when I was on the war z. Could be the reason.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    CPU Usage and temps were all up from how they were when I was on the war z. Could be the reason.
    Try again after letting the laptop cool down, that'll show you if it was temperature issue.

    Turbo will not work if the processor usage is high enough as it's whole point is to raise the speed of used cores if some cores are idling at zero.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Try again after letting the laptop cool down, that'll show you if it was temperature issue.

    Turbo will not work if the processor usage is high enough as it's whole point is to raise the speed of used cores if some cores are idling at zero.
    Tested with cooler laptop. Still no turbo, although it is definitely using more CPU. The load hit 100% across all 4 cores sometimes during and shorly after loading screens, although at other points where the framerate was low they stayed at 50-70% each. Still not getting above 1980.80MHz running dishonored.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

  10. #30
    Bloodsail Admiral foil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,171
    I think the game is using the integrated gfx card instead of the dedicated Nvida gpu.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I just woke up and am on my phone, I will be able to try what you suggested later.

    As for some suggestions here:

    I actually don't play with the battery in, just the power cord, and I changed up the power settings on the day I got it.

    As for overheating; I'm not 100% convinced. I play with the maintainenc plate on the bottom removed and a cooler master fan blowing directly onto the components. I used to notice a slight slowdown when my CPU went over 80, which it doesn't ever really do any more.
    Put it in a try it. Some notebooks need the battery to provide current even when plugged in to function at full speed.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    I think the game is using the integrated gfx card instead of the dedicated Nvida gpu.
    It's a specialised gaming laptop, there are no integrated graphics to use. I know because I had to fix this on my sister's xps. It's not as straightforward as that I'm afraid, I'm not that inept :P
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If you put $50 CPU and $500 GPU into computer you might see 2 fps in WoW and 200 in Crysis.
    Flipping it around with $500 CPU + $50 GPU would show 50fps in WoW and 5fps in Crysis.
    I am not really sure if you are joking or not, so I will simply point you to another post in this thread (see below). On an unrelated note, I am pretty sure that I have done more graphics and other game-related programming than you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I've basically got the same laptop as OP except my graphics card is better. Mine is a 540m and it plays WoW on good settings (WINDOWED FULLSCREEN) at approx 50 FPS. I'm also playing on a 1920x1080 secondary monitor (which my laptop now sees as primary monitor). I play GW2 in windowed fullscreen at about 40 FPS on monitor.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    so I will simply point you to another post in this thread (see below).
    Simple man simply pointing towards simply unrelated.

    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    I am not really sure if you are joking or not,
    Nope. Try to formulate some simple thoughts and arguments why you think I'm wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    On an unrelated note, I am pretty sure that I have done more graphics and other game-related programming than you.
    Yep, it's totally unrelated. And it does not make you any less wrong.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  15. #35
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    checked all intel drivers if they are up to date? (else perhaps some bios tweaking of thermal monitoring and those related anagrams that downclock performance allot ?)
    also vesseblah the whole $50/$500 gpu/cpu thing makes no sense.
    guy actually has a more valid point then you and so far brought more insight in what is achievable atleast with a worse setup ......
    his hardware is more than fine for running way higher settings then the shit fps he's currently getting.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also vesseblah the whole $50/$500 gpu/cpu thing makes no sense.
    guy actually has a more valid point then you
    It's very unlikely that somebody has such a system, but it is entirely possible and proves that you can build system which runs Crysis perfectly and sucks donkey balls in WoW. People who talk in absolutes need to be prepared to be proven wrong and publicly humiliated and ridiculed.

    And it's not so far-fetched as you think if you buy low end AMD processor with high end graphics card, you'll exactly in the situation with $50 CPU and $500 GPU.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-11-07 at 10:56 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  17. #37
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It's very unlikely that somebody has such a system, but it is entirely possible and proves that you can build system which runs Crysis perfectly and sucks donkey balls in WoW. People who talk in absolutes need to be prepared to be proven wrong and publicly humiliated and ridiculed.

    And it's not so far-fetched as you think if you buy low end AMD processor with high end graphics card, you'll exactly in the situation with $50 CPU and $500 GPU.
    in theory yes, is it relavant to the OP not in a single way possible.......
    "If a machine can run Crysis well it will sure as hell run WoW well" is kinda true since the general hardware needed for crysis is higher for both parts compared to WoW.........
    Also absolutes have plenty of places/situations where they are usefull , lashing out because of that looks silly for sure but could also pass for bigotry.
    Anyway less bickering on an unrelated theory and more lets try to figure out a solution for this guy. (pretty sure that is why he made the thread , not for something else......)

  18. #38
    If you have a lot of programs loaded on your computer it could possibly cause issues. Whenever the OS boots up a lot of programs exist in the startup menu. These programs when they are here are loaded in prefetch which accelerates opening the programs, but they do use up memory. Programs that load during startup can be edited through the MSCONFIG function. This possibility can show your memory to be under stress while your CPU is not. Also, you may just flat need more memory, programs get bigger over time and the hardware sometimes struggles to keep up. There are alot of possibilities, pagefiles, etc. but without being in front of the machine it can be difficult to judge. Also, when making a determination on your computer use the perfmon utility instead of the task manager to judge load. It works far better.
    Last edited by lokii; 2012-11-09 at 06:58 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    "If a machine can run Crysis well it will sure as hell run WoW well" is kinda true since the general hardware needed for crysis is higher for both parts compared to WoW.........
    Wrong. CPU requirements of Crysis are pretty damn low. You can play it comfortably at 60fps+ with $100 AMD processor, but the same CPU would choke and give you 20fps in WoW. It's not "kinda true" no matter how hard you want it to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Also absolutes have plenty of places/situations where they are usefull , lashing out because of that looks silly for sure but could also pass for bigotry.
    People can get the false ideas of WoW and Crysis having similar CPU requirements unless I correct the mistakes of you and other misinformed posters in this thread. It's not bigotry* and it's not lashing out. You can consider it a public service giving people correct information to base their decisions on.

    * except against stupidity
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •