Page 1 of 2
LastLast

All this effort into alts yet no true BoA Heirloom gear...

This is starting to become ridiculous. They're putting in a ton of effort into making it a more attractive idea to go play on alts. They're putting in tons of effort with improved reputation gains and the improved valor gain on alts. So why haven't they made heirlooms truly BoA as people have been asking for since they were released? This is still one of the biggest pet peeves with all this alt attention as of late.

It's awful that I've got nearly every heirloom that is in the game, but the only way to transfer them to a character on another realm is by actually spending money on a character transfer and bring them with the gear. That's a horrible design. I've even tried using CRZing with two accounts to transfer the items, but if you put them in trade with your own characters, it instead immediately closes the trade window. No error message, no shown reasoning behind it, nothing. Just closes it.

So when are we actually going to be able to use our heirlooms across servers? With all this looking at of alts, why hasn't something like an heirloom tab been created? They've proven that they can make all types of things truly BoA, so why haven't heirlooms made the cut? They could also make an "Heirloom Bank" that only heirlooms can go into so that you cannot have them on all characters simultaneously simply for buying them once, so you still have to share them.

These tables bar our way.. ┬──┬ ┬──┬

But the will of a templar is stronger! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

In the past, Blizzard has sited tech limitations as the reason why Heirloom gear is not truly BoA. It's the same reason that mail isn't truly Account wide. I believe the community offered Void Storage as an option, but none of us really know what goes in to the infrastructure in terms of making it possible. If I were a betting man, I would put money down on Blizzard talking about it, assessing the situation and getting an understanding of what it would take... Once they have that, it comes down to priority of tasks.

To help give you an idea of what I am talking about. A development cycle is broken down in to sprints. Each sprint lasting between 2 and 4 weeks (this is what I have seen working in an agile development system... it will vary from studio to studio and from dev method to dev method). The sprint usually has a story board associated with it. This story board is where all of the tasks are created and assigned to different parts of the dev team. These tasks are worked on in priority order. Meaning that whatever Blizzard feels is the most pressing issue, will be what is worked on first. My guess is that Truly BoA Heirloom items are on Blizzard's backlog. A backlog is essentially a dumping ground for tasks that Blizzard wants to do, but doesn't have a way to fit them in to any given sprint. Ideally, as tasks are completed in a sprint, tasks from the backlog come online and are worked on. Remember though, new tasks are added to the backlog all the time, and the backlog is also sorted in Priority order. In my experience, a backlog tends to become purgatory. (this isn't true for all of the game studios I have worked for, but it happens).

With all that said, one day we will have truly BoA heirlooms, and it's less than ideal that we don't have it now... Blizzard knows and wants to fix it.

Uber Casual | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

I was discussing this with a friend the other night. What they should honestly do is simply make an extra tab with the mounts and pets for Heirlooms, and you can just drag and drop them into your bags at your leisure. Saves you mailing them, or somehow accidentally losing them, and lets them go to all your characters across all realms. And since they did it with pets and mounts, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to do it with Heirlooms, either.

In fact, lets just throw tabards in there as well for funsies.
    Ultraxion yells: I am the beginning of buttonclickers...the button which blots out my wipe mechanic...the click which tolls my doom...
    Ultraxion yells: For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your button, mortals, and click!

They want you to see the new content. Not do one instance and gain 4 levels.

You act like the only possible way to play on another server is with heirloom gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post

You act like the only possible way to play on another server is with heirloom gear.
    To be frank, I actually prefer playing WITHOUT heirloom gear. It makes the game more fun and interesting, brings back a bit of that exploratory charm I remember about Vanilla, rather than just steamrolling through everything.

But it would be nice if the option was there, I'll admit.
    Ultraxion yells: I am the beginning of buttonclickers...the button which blots out my wipe mechanic...the click which tolls my doom...
    Ultraxion yells: For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your button, mortals, and click!

What percentage of the playing population do you suppose has active alts on multiple servers?

I would assume the vast vast vast majority of players stick to one realm - making this functionality a low low low priority. I think the situation you're in must be relatively rare within the millions of players in the game. You have to start an alt on a new server where you have no main AND have no intent to ever move any character. I just can't see that happening often enough to make this a priority over, say, tabard selection.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-11-08 at 04:34 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedeo View Post
    I was discussing this with a friend the other night. What they should honestly do is simply make an extra tab with the mounts and pets for Heirlooms, and you can just drag and drop them into your bags at your leisure. Saves you mailing them, or somehow accidentally losing them, and lets them go to all your characters across all realms. And since they did it with pets and mounts, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to do it with Heirlooms, either.

It's a little different. You can't equip a pet or a mount. I think that is where the limitation begins and it compounds from there.

Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post
    It's a little different. You can't equip a pet or a mount. I think that is where the limitation begins and it compounds from there.
    Additionally, what he's talking about is purely cosmetic. It does nothing to solve the "I got this on Realm X and now it should show up on Realm Y". You're talking about moving data from one realm to another. All the tabs in the world do nothing to make that happen.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Don't expect a quick fix for this, it makes them money and they know it. Lowest possible priority for blizzard to "fix" this.

What they should have done is give these items a different name. Bind on Realm or something, because the bind on account "joke" is just a slap to face. There is bind on account in wow, the game doesn't include the technology to actually provide that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedeo View Post
    There really REALLY should be a tab for tabards. (seriously)

Hell it's in the name - TABards - WHY YOU HAS NO TAB!?! YOU TABardz IZ BAD, MMMKAY!? (seriously sarcastic)

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    This is starting to become ridiculous. They're putting in a ton of effort into making it a more attractive idea to go play on alts. They're putting in tons of effort with improved reputation gains and the improved valor gain on alts. So why haven't they made heirlooms truly BoA as people have been asking for since they were released? This is still one of the biggest pet peeves with all this alt attention as of late.
    Don't smoke crack. The last patch was one of the most alt-friendly in the history of the game. The current patch / xpac is one of the most alt-unfriendly.

It's awful that I've got nearly every heirloom that is in the game, but the only way to transfer them to a character on another realm is by actually spending money on a character transfer and bring them with the gear. That's a horrible design. I've even tried using CRZing with two accounts to transfer the items, but if you put them in trade with your own characters, it instead immediately closes the trade window. No error message, no shown reasoning behind it, nothing. Just closes it.
    That'd be a cool way to do it. But another area that could use some improvement is... i dunno... updating the BoAs that top in Wrath content - you know - 2 full expansions ago. Make it so BoAs all give XP and up-to-level stats up to L90 - so they actually server their purpose.

What it comes down to is pure and simple - Blizzard makes games based on what their devs can do on their timelines. They don't make games based on what players would most enjoy. Those days are dead and gone.

The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    What percentage of the playing population do you suppose has active alts on multiple servers?

I would assume the vast vast vast majority of players stick to one realm - making this functionality a low low low priority. I think the situation you're in must be relatively rare within the millions of players in the game. You have to start an alt on a new server where you have no main AND have no intent to ever move any character. I just can't see that happening often enough to make this a priority over, say, tabard selection.
    That is until you roll a fresh DK on another realm and a FLYING almost level 80 Goblin ganks him not hours old from the Plaguelands.

That caused me to move 22 pieces of BoA gear over. Yeah, if I'm going to have to start on a new realm, I'll do it properly!

It was funny, had a train of alts in those BoAs run by and players were going "whoa"...lol. I think the most perfect revenge is to level more for your side.

Well, until CRZ ruined all that...bye.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

On the grand scale of problems I really dont even see this going above glitchy text dialogue, if im being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Don't expect a quick fix for this, it makes them money and they know it. Lowest possible priority for blizzard to "fix" this.

What they should have done is give these items a different name. Bind on Realm or something, because the bind on account "joke" is just a slap to face. There is bind on account in wow, the game doesn't include the technology to actually provide that.
    So, just to get this straight... You are suggesting that Blizzard hasn't implemented this because of the money they've made over the few times someone has realm transferred a character JUST with BoA items on it. And you believe that it has nothing to do with the technical limitations or the low demand for this feature?

Further, you want us to believe that Blizzard deliberately picked "Bind on Account" out of some sort of malicious intent aimed at purposely pissing off its user base - as opposed to that terminology being easier to understand (and applicable) to a large majority of the user base?

Just making sure we're on the same page here before I write your comments off as pure idiocy.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post
    There really REALLY should be a tab for tabards. (seriously)

Hell it's in the name - TABards - WHY YOU HAS NO TAB!?! YOU TABardz IZ BAD, MMMKAY!? (seriously sarcastic)
    Ghostcrawler responded to the issue of a tabard tab and said something along the lines of that "it's on the list" and "they would like to do it", doing it for regular tabards was apperently easy, doing it for tabards with on use effects like Tabard of the Protector, was the real issue. So here's for hoping they solve it since I really, really want Tabard of the Protector on my Warlock, but have it on my Shaman.

As for the Heirlooms I'm sure they are working on it, but I doubt it's of any high priority at the moment sadly...

Additionally, what he's talking about is purely cosmetic. It does nothing to solve the "I got this on Realm X and now it should show up on Realm Y". You're talking about moving data from one realm to another. All the tabs in the world do nothing to make that happen.
    You do know that mounts and pets are already cross realm right? I have all my mounts on both illidan and stormrage, so making boa items like that wouldnt be much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Ghostcrawler responded to the issue of a tabard tab and said something along the lines of that "it's on the list" and "they would like to do it", doing it for regular tabards was apperently easy, doing it for tabards with on use effects like Tabard of the Protector, was the real issue. So here's for hoping they solve it since I really, really want Tabard of the Protector on my Warlock, but have it on my Shaman.
    Correct me if I'm worng, but I've not seen anything saying that tabards would go account wide - just that they want to get them into some sort of dropdown list. I mean... Everything else like that (titles, mounts) has gone account wide, I just haven't seen any confirmation of it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    You do know that mounts and pets are already cross realm right? I have all my mounts on both illidan and stormrage, so making boa items like that wouldnt be much of a stretch.
    Unless your mounts and pets have suddenly started taking up slots in your bag AND become equipable on your paper doll, I do not see how that is relevant.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Correct me if I'm worng, but I've not seen anything saying that tabards would go account wide - just that they want to get them into some sort of dropdown list. I mean... Everything else like that (titles, mounts) has gone account wide, I just haven't seen any confirmation of it.[COLOR="red"]
    Ghostcrawler commented on it not too long ago actually, like one or two months ago, and if I recall correctly he said he wanted it to be like titles and mounts. I think it's more of one of those things they would like to do but don't prioritize at the moment though, so don't expect it to come anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post

I have full heirlooms on my monk, and with the 100% xp buff from the daily; I have yet to get four levels from one instance, but my god would that be nice.
    To be fair I don't see why its a big problem, i would rather have all my characters on horde and the same realm so i can mail gold and non-BoA stuff :P

Asmodias is most likely correct that blizz wants to do something about it, but right now there's more important tasks.
    “4chan once took on the FBI and won,” a Brony told the New York Observer, “so you might say that My Little Pony is more powerful than the FBI.” Sethisto

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    Can you equip a mount or a pet? Do mounts and pets have stats that affect your character? No?

See, there is a bit more of a "stretch" than you thought.