Do Elder Charms work in 5mans ?

I was just wondering if the elder charms of good fortune also allow you to get the bonus roll when you kill a boss in a 5man on either normal or heroic ?

No, and don't even wish they were. You're gonna want those for epic gear from raids!
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Why would you even use them there when there's so many better options?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taximals View Post
    Why would you even use them there when there's so many better options?
    Let's see...

Perhaps he doesn't raid? At all?

Deleted
    He does dailies wich take at least 1 hour per day but not do lfr, wich takes the same amount of time per week??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Let's see...

Then he doesn't need the gear.

Yes, they do work. They allow you an additional chance to get loot from all raid bosses you encounter in 5 mans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    I'm main-spec healer, off-spec dps. I seldom raid in my off-spec but i still gear it for dailies, soloing, quests etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's see...

Because Sha and LFR are SO not accessible.

Deleted
    Getting gear from 5-mans allows you to do other 5-mans easier, not to mention the new 5-mans with harder opponents added every now and then. Gear is also the next step in character progression after levels, whether it comes from 5-mans or raids.

Obviously someone who never raids needs his or her 5-man gear just as much raiders need their gear.

Or did you perhaps mean that only raiders matter? People who do 5-man content don't need to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by taximals View Post
    Because Sha and LFR are SO not accessible.
    Whether something is accessible doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's choice of taking part in those encounters. I also said perhaps he doesn't raid, at all. That sort of excludes LFR. It may be easy, it may be with complete randoms through a queue, but it's still raiding with a whole bunch of people. So is Sha, and also, Sha doesn't drop every slot, now does he?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the point @Sydanyo is that Ancestry coins are specifically designed to give a chance at extra rewards from raid content and world bosses.

The skill level required for 5-man normals and 5-man heroics in MoP is far lower than the requirements for heroic 5-mans in cata. You don't need great gear to be successful in 5-man dungeons.

Coins of ancestry don't reward off-spec gear btw, so it is not a viable method of gearing up for offspec.

Use your JP and VP from dailies and dungeons to purchase off-spec gear. Quest blues are also sufficient for 5-man heroics.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    Or did you perhaps mean that only raiders matter? People who do 5-man content don't need to exist?
    Calm down, I never said that, never implied that, and I don't see how you went that far Oo

It's just that I find that wanting the gear for something you don't do is, for me, odd... I don't PvP, why would I want PvP gear. If I wouldn't raid I wouldn't want Pve gear...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Yes, they do work. They allow you an additional chance to get loot from all raid bosses you encounter in 5 mans.
    I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but there are occasionally raid boss level bosses in dungeons (like Mannoroth) so it's probably best not to be confusing. :P

You only need the gear if you're doing competitive raiding, most of the time it's nothing but a performance boost to something you could have done anyways with optimal raid reaction. That would mean only the top guilds doing world firsts would need the gear or people doing heroic raiding.

This canard over "only needing epics to raid" is just drivel. Everyone has the things they do in this game improved by getting better gear. You don't just get improvements to your gear because it's the only way to take down an encounter. But keep on clinging to that flimsy banner so you can complain about welfare epics.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    If I wouldn't raid I wouldn't want Pve gear...
    Isn't 5-man content PvE?

Let's say there are a few different 5-man instances, with at least a little bit of a difference in difficulty. Wouldn't one want all the possible 5-man upgrades from the easier 5-man instances if they were trying to do the harder 5-man instances as well?

Then, let's say new 5-man instances are added after a while. Wouldn't someone who's so far been doing 5-man content, and would be doing these new 5-man instances as well, want all the possible upgrades from the earlier 5-man instances in order for his or her experience in this new 5-man content to be as smooth as possible?

If we can agree that yes, people who do 5-man content do in fact want 5-man drops, then it wouldn't be surprising if one of those people was wondering whether these charms work in 5-man instances as well, now would it? Especially if they've been doing dailies to get gold and whatnot, and have accrued a hefty amount of the charms, which they'll never ever use in a raid.

The vast majority of the people in this game are people who do PvP, solo, quest and 5-man content. The vast minority are raiders, even if you factor in LFR. I think that's been made obvious several times along the way in the past years. Out of those people who do PvP, solo, quest and 5-man content, quite a big number do actually like doing 5-man content.

How exactly is it then not PvE?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    No, and don't even wish they were. You're gonna want those for epic gear from raids!
    Naw with the death of 25m raiding I have no interest in raiding anymore besides it's not like the raiding experience has any more to offer now days than it did when I started raiding back in early 2005, I was just asking because it would be nice to get my ilvl up high enough for lfr on my mainand alts without running each heroic 10+ times on each.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Naw with the death of 25m raiding I have no interest in raiding anymore besides it's not like the raiding experience has any more to offer now days than it did when I started raiding back in early 2005, I was just asking because it would be nice to get my ilvl up high enough for lfr on my mainand alts without running each heroic 10+ times on each.

What? Who killed my 25man guild?
    Does that mean there's no raid for me tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    I think the point @Sydanyo is that Ancestry coins are specifically designed to give a chance at extra rewards from raid content and world bosses.

The skill level required for 5-man normals and 5-man heroics in MoP is far lower than the requirements for heroic 5-mans in cata. You don't need great gear to be successful in 5-man dungeons.

Coins of ancestry don't reward off-spec gear btw, so it is not a viable method of gearing up for offspec.

Use your JP and VP from dailies and dungeons to purchase off-spec gear. Quest blues are also sufficient for 5-man heroics.
    I think you mean Elder charms and yes they do award offspec assuming you switch to that offspec before you use the charm "confirmed on wowhead"
    "it's not tied to the queue system at all"

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggah View Post
    What? Who killed my 25man guild?
    Does that mean there's no raid for me tonight?
    Consider yourself lucky, the server I play on currently only has 2 25m guilds
    #1 self proclaimed elitists that are hated by the majority of the server for their immature attitudes
    #2 The guild that recruits anyone at max level that is so bad they couldn't clear Ds until the buff was at 20%