Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I haven't really seen this "dislike" you're implying, but I agree that there's a degree of apathy towards him. People tend to feel more strongly towards Garrosh, Vol'Jin, and Sylvanas, for better or worse, and tend to be more neutral towards Baine. It doesn't mean he's a bad or even a disliked character, he just lacks the visibility and impact of some of the other Horde leaders, especially for players who have not read the books.

I thought he was great in that batman film lol

But seriously i think its because nobody knows much about him or has any connection to him

with cairn we was there when we first meet him in kalimdor we followed him all the way from wc3 to wrath but with baine very little is known

Unless you read the books which a huge majority havent then you will know next to squat about him except for a cool quest in the tauren starting zone where he kills that grimtotem but that quest is for taurens only

bottom line he needs to be fleshed out in mop and with him appearing in the domination point questline i hope to see more of him

To me baine is much like many of the lesser faction leaders in that he has the honorable bloodline but he hasn't quite done anything extremely famous or infamous to set him apart from many of the others. As for a potential way to change that, maybe a batman bane style makeover of baine could change that given the right story, character overhaul, and a maybe a few infamous moves. For now Baine in some ways is not to dissimilar from Anduin. He is on the way to becoming a big leader but is he ready to step onto the grand stage as a major player, no. If the spoilers are correct than Anduin has already proved its better to wait and be strong enough to fight your own battles than end up as just another plot twist. Baine does have potential don't get me wrong but at the moment he is still a minor player in much larger game.

I do have a slight question involving next leader, I know they are developing their characters so we can connect with him or her in the upcoming patches. But I have seen voice files for vol'jin and baine but not sylvanas yet, or did i miss that. Is she like basically out for the running. for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Maybe. Thought it was harpies.
    Baine has harpies? Wonder if the Tauren make a cream for that.

His introduction to wow can be basicaly summed as "hey look, Cairne died, but you get his son that is basicaly the same".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I haven't really seen this "dislike" you're implying, but I agree that there's a degree of apathy towards him. People tend to feel more strongly towards Garrosh, Vol'Jin, and Sylvanas, for better or worse, and tend to be more neutral towards Baine. It doesn't mean he's a bad or even a disliked character, he just lacks the visibility and impact of some of the other Horde leaders, especially for players who have not read the books.
    this, baine has more of a casual indifference rather than a dislike=p

Quote Originally Posted by baldcore View Post
    To me baine is much like many of the lesser faction leaders in that he has the honorable bloodline but he hasn't quite done anything extremely famous or infamous to set him apart from many of the others. As for a potential way to change that, maybe a batman bane style makeover of baine could change that given the right story, character overhaul, and a maybe a few infamous moves. For now Baine in some ways is not to dissimilar from Anduin. He is on the way to becoming a big leader but is he ready to step onto the grand stage as a major player, no. If the spoilers are correct than Anduin has already proved its better to wait and be strong enough to fight your own battles than end up as just another plot twist. Baine does have potential don't get me wrong but at the moment he is still a minor player in much larger game.
    With Anduin he at least shows up more than once. And we know his destiny is great according to Velen's prophecy, and the fact Velen is his teacher. A lot of speculation says he will be a major factor in the Burning Legions wars too. With Baine, unless you sit down and research his ass, not much he has done in the past. AND the present. At least with Anduin he is doing things NOW, and its not story from the PAST.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you just call Grom weak? Dafuq

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Did you just call Grom weak? Dafuq
    Grom was one of the most powerful warriors to date, but he was extremely weak willed and gave into corruption so easily.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't people like Baine? Because in-game, you barely see the guy. If you're a tauren you run an entry-level quest in which he kills off one of the Grimtotem, and you probably see his Echo in End Time. That's it. The rest of commonly-known lore (i.e. you didn't read the books) is that he exiled, rather than killed, the Grimtotems and now follows Garrosh, the person who pretty much murdered his father in broad daylight.

Now in MoP he has also befriended Anduin Wrynn, which is a step in the right direction. He will also take part in the 5.1 patch with the other Horde leaders. But until recently, it's been "why should I care?" and there weren't a lot of good answers. Say what you want about Sylvanas, at least you get to know her and can decide based on actual character traits.

The biggest problem is that Baine himself seems to show a lot of apathy when dealing with Garrosh. While Vol'jin shows some real teeth towards Garrosh, Baine just sort of disagrees with him and moves on. This is the guy that killed his father, but he seems conflicted because it's the same guy that also helped liberate Thunderbluff from the Grimtotem, so he just sits on the fence and never seems to take a really solid stance on anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Baine is "okay".
    His problem is that he really does represent the Tushui mentality very clearly. This is shown in his Short Story where he seems okay to just sit back and let the Quillboar kill his people despite the fact they have ever been hostile to the Tauren and to pretty much every other race.

I think he goes a little over board with the idea of peace to the point where it directly puts his people in harms way.

Deleted
    People don't like baine because they haven't read the shattering.

I'm suprised nobody photoshopped Baine with Bane's mask yet

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Well in WoW harpies are pretty weak. When was the last time we've seen a harpy boss?
    Well, they are the offspring of a demi-god after all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    The biggest problem is that Baine himself seems to show a lot of apathy when dealing with Garrosh. While Vol'jin shows some real teeth towards Garrosh, Baine just sort of disagrees with him and moves on. This is the guy that killed his father, but he seems conflicted because it's the same guy that also helped liberate Thunderbluff from the Grimtotem, so he just sits on the fence and never seems to take a really solid stance on anything.
    How did Garrosh help liberate tb from the grimtotem? By not sending his forces to help Magatha (and her grimtotem) to defend it..?

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never rated him, I haven't seen enough of his character for a true opinion to form. Maybe if he gets a bit of love in a future novel or something then I will.

I like Baine. I've read the books and he has good potential. I would like to see more done with him in game. I like the interaction between him and Anduin, interesting possibilities there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    So Baine is basically following in his fathers footsteps to the word, he does something at the start that cause people to like him, and then does nothing else for the rest of his time in the story.

If this is how blizzard intends to treat Baine, giving him the same treatment as his father, I wonder what the point was in killing Cairne if it served nothing in advancing Baines story in another way.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Furypie View Post
    People don't like baine because they haven't read the shattering.
    And thats just the problem. See Cairne had some nice introduction in WC3 when Thrall meet him and people liked him, and that was ingame.
    But Baine's real introduction came about in the novel that only a small percentage of people read, and little else in the game itself. Yes it was good what he did in the shattering, but if we didn't tell anyone else what he did.. what then?
    #boycottchina