Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    Personally I'd say his speech in battle for Undercity was good enough reason to hate him.
    Actually tbh I find his UC speech quite good. Sure it was laced with his own hatred of the Horde but it made sense to anybody given the situation - he didn't want his people to be the victims anymore.

Deleted
    Some reasons I don't like him; humans look terrible without a beard, he has a supernatural affinity with a god/ancient (Goldrinn) being which has no history or previous relationship with his race (originally an alien creation not even indigenous to Azeroth), he is a poor judge of character (Lady Prestor), he screws his people with cripplingly high taxes to fuel a war that didn't need to be fought, he's an abusive father and he's voiced by Metzen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Some reasons I don't like him; humans look terrible without a beard
    yeah sure

he has a supernatural affinity with a god/ancient (Goldrinn) being which has no history or previous relationship with his race (originally an alien creation not even indigenous to Azeroth)
    Goldrinn was indigenous to Azeroth.
    He resembled a white wolf-beast and was already 10,000 years old when the Burning Legion first invaded Azeroth. The wolf god slaughtered hundreds of demons before he fell in the invasion. He is said to have aided the night elves of Eldre'Thalas in holding their city against the Burning Legion, only to vanish after battle never to be seen again.
    he is a poor judge of character (Lady Prestor)
    I'm pretty sure Onyxia was mind-controlling him.

he screws his people with cripplingly high taxes to fuel a war that didn't need to be fought
    he doesn't screw with his own people, and the war is very much needed, recent events confirm that

he's an abusive father
    he's not an abusive father, that's a complete and utter exaggeration, you just want to put him into a bad light

and he's voiced by Metzen.
    oh how dare you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    yeah sure

Goldrinn was indigenous to Azeroth.

I'm pretty sure Onyxia was mind-controlling him.

he doesn't screw with his own people, and the war is very much needed, recent events confirm that

he's not an abusive father, that's a complete and utter exaggeration, you just want to put him into a bad light

oh how dare you
    1. They really do.
    2. I was referring to humans not being indigenous to Azeroth. The titans made the constructs that the humans devolved from.
    3. Sure, she may have been mind-controlling him eventually, but how did she get into the court in the first place. She had to have charmed her way into such a crucial position.
    4. What do you call the homeless throngs in Westfall?
    5. Didn't he nearly break Anduin's arm because he was cranky?
    6. When one guy does the voice for the main characters of both factions, it makes getting invested with both characters rather difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Major exaggeration.
    He grabs his arm hard because he doesn't want to lose his son after only recently being reunited, it hurt but the intent was not to harm his son either. That really isn't being abusive and I think is another one of those WoW things people blow out of proportion.

He is an over protective father, of which I've always found to be one of his more interesting qualities as a character.

I like Varian. He has become more level headed over time and from what I've seen so far in MoP it looks like he's going to be doing some cool stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Major exaggeration.
    He grabs his arm hard because he doesn't want to lose his son after only recently being reunited, it hurt but the intent was not to harm his son either. That really isn't being abusive and I think is another one of those WoW things people blow out of proportion.

He is an over protective father, of which I've always found to be one of his more interesting qualities as a character.
    Perhaps it was a little unfair for me to call him abusive, though when you are as exceptionally strong as Varian is, you should know your own strength and to act with extreme care when making physical contact with other people. Especially your own children. Also, being smothering can also be seen as a form of abuse.
    Plus, I wasn't intending for my post to be taken entirely seriously. I was hoping this would be evident with my listing his lack of facial hair as a reason for disliking him. xD Still, I think most of the things I listed are considerable faults both for him as a person and the way he has been developed.

Deleted
    1. They really do.
    2. I was referring to humans not being indigenous to Azeroth. The titans made the constructs that the humans devolved from.
    3. Sure, she may have been mind-controlling him eventually, but how did she get into the court in the first place. She had to have charmed her way into such a crucial position.
    4. What do you call the homeless throngs in Westfall?
    6. When one guy does the voice for the main characters of both factions, it makes getting invested with both characters rather difficult.
    beard fetish?
    of course the homeless of westfall are in an unfortunate situation, but it's better than to be killed by Garrosh's Horde or the Scourge
    and as for the metzen voicing both factions main characters, I could argue that Garrosh is the current main character of the Horde and he isn't voiced my metzen, but even thrall being voiced by him doesn't really bother me that much. it doesn't really stop me from getting invested into both characters, besides, even though they're both voiced by metzen, they sound very differently. Kel thuzad and the Lich King were also voiced by the same guy, didn't really notice that until I read it somewhere

10+ Year Old Account
    beard fetish?
    of course the homeless of westfall are in an unfortunate situation, but it's better than to be killed by Garrosh's Horde or the Scourge
    and as for the metzen voicing both factions main characters, I could argue that Garrosh is the current main character of the Horde and he isn't voiced my metzen, but even thrall being voiced by him doesn't really bother me that much. it doesn't really stop me from getting invested into both characters, besides, even though they're both voiced by metzen, they sound very differently. Kel thuzad and the Lich King were also voiced by the same guy, didn't really notice that until I read it somewhere
    You know I honestly do not hear the similarity between Thrall and Varian, show it shows metzen does have a talent for doing some voice alteration. Perhaps ragnaros did have more of a Thrall tone to it, but I don't have to care about Ragny now he's dead.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You know I honestly do not hear the similarity between Thrall and Varian, show it shows metzen does have a talent for doing some voice alteration. Perhaps ragnaros did have more of a Thrall tone to it, but I don't have to care about Ragny now he's dead.
    Definitely. And he also does Vol'jin.
    Comparing those three, he does a great job.

Varian:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbc8TAqdaIE

Thrall:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...KYIgGBbU#t=53s

Vol'jin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvyYPDbXPxk

10+ Year Old Account
    Plus, I wasn't intending for my post to be taken entirely seriously. I was hoping this would be evident with my listing his lack of facial hair as a reason for disliking him. xD Still, I think most of the things I listed are considerable faults both for him as a person and the way he has been developed.
    But he does need facial hair .
    Human leaders need more epic beards, they always had them during the Alliance of Lordaeron - Anduin and Khadgar along with every Kingdom's King with the exception of that worm Perenolde.

But yes to bring up one of your earlier points, it is kinda odd having both Thrall and Varian being voiced by Metzen, made worse by the fact he uses practically the same tone of voice for both. I guess it's to rooted now to be redone. Although it probably explains why Vol'jin was redone.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-11-13 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But yes to bring up one of your earlier points, it is kinda odd having both Thrall and Varian being voiced by Metzen, made worse by the fact he uses practically the same tone of voice for both. I guess it's to rooted now to be redone. Although it probably explains why Vol'jin was redone.
    I hope your not serious, because thats just wrong. Watch the videos Nindoriel just put up, they sound like two different characters, and the fact he does vol'jins voice to shows he has the ability to throw his voice, far better then you seem to think.
    #boycottchina

Dude, he totally needs to have a beard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I hope your not serious, because thats just wrong. Watch the videos Nindoriel just put up, they sound like two different characters, and the fact he does vol'jins voice to shows he has the ability to throw his voice, far better then you seem to think.
    They really don't sound different which is the problem. Thrall is more gruff, but besides that they really sound alike. Vol'jin des sound different which is great, heck I didn't even know it was Metzen. Metzen is a good VA but he pretty much likes to do the one voice repeatadly in the same game, Thrall, Varian and Nefarion all sound too similar.
    Here they are back to back. They really do sound 95% the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91rOr7dTBo

Varian's voice starts at 1:04.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-11-13 at 09:57 PM.

Deleted
    beard fetish?
    More 'beard envy'. I can't grow a good beard myself, so I do the classic insecure thing of expecting fictional characters to be everything I want to be.

I think Varian and Garrosh are both responsible for the open warfare which is going on between the Alliance and the Horde presently. They both hold resentment for each others races because of the actions of a few or past events. Look at how Varian behaved after the Wrathgate. Sure, he just lost his best friend and loads of his men but he blew up and wanted to murder Thrall because of it, someone who was completely uninvolved with the incident (though I share Varian's opinion that Thrall should have paid closer attention to the Eastern Kingdoms Horde). It would have triggered a catastrophic, all-out war and cost the lives of thousands needlessly at a time when the Scourge were running rampant, threatening both factions.

I'll admit that both characters are well-acted but whenever I hear Varian speak, I am immediately aware that it's Metzen and it gets in the way for me. People like Steve Blum and Cam Clarke voice-act in frigging everything (big fan of both), but because they typically only ever act as one character at a time, I can forget its them and get properly immersed. I can't do that as much as I'd like in WoW when both representatives of either faction are voiced by the same dude. Metzen is very good, but his voice is overused.

But he does need facial hair .
    Human leaders need more epic beards, they always had them during the Alliance of Lordaeron - Anduin and Khadgar along with every Kingdom's King with the exception of that worm Perenolde.

That is true about those guys. Lothar and Terenas both had face-warmers and their badassery was certainly heightened by that fact. I think it works to accentuate a hero's manly/machoness which I think is important in fantasy because heroes should be larger than life and have the qualities we look for in such characters in abundance.

Deleted
    Who doesn't like Varian ?! :O

Varian is exactly like Thrall plus a pair of balls which Thrall is missing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    Who doesn't like Varian ?! :O

Varian is exactly like Thrall plus a pair of balls which Thrall is missing.
    I wouldn't go as far and say he's exactly like Thrall.

I wouldn't go as far and say he's exactly like Thrall.
    It's good that he is not like Thrall because I think Thrall is lame.