Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Unholy - Mastery Reforge?

Ive recently seen some people reforge into Mastery as unholy, and im just wondering if its viable or not.

I'm rather curious to see what has to be said on this topic. The reason I can see for heavy mastery Unholy is for more burst during an execute phase. Garalon and Elegon come to mind specifically.

I have had a mastery>crit>haste priorety since Dragon Soul, and it's worked splendid for me and especially so now with how Soul Reaper works. With how runic empowerment works, along with passive haste/mastery buffs and Soul Reapers damage it's allowed me more dps then if I went for a haste>crit>mastery build.

I know it's jsut flipping the priorety around, but it gives me a better flow to the rotation, less down time, higher aoe dmg from BP, BB and DnD being buffed from the mastery (comes to almost 7-10% extra mastery last I checked my gear, which was before a few new items I just got) and it makes Soul Reaper a really strong(er) move for me.

If this is what some people are doing I would love to see the math behind it and everything as to why this is better, it gets old explaining to other Unholy dk's on my server why my stat priorety is so "wrong". But if anything, I could back up this way of play saying it's viable and def a strong way to play (punishes missing SR more so then a haste set-up though).
    For reference: Maxweii from Skullcrusher-US

Deleted
    Tried reforging mastery ( no gems changed yet ) and i did 67k dps on Spirit Kings, 5 minutes 51 second kill

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 08:02 PM ----------

Tried Elegon with Mastery reforges, 126.7k dps, so this might be viable..

Gonna try it tonight in MSV HC and HoF Normal and upload logs to here
    Last edited by mmocd8903d86c5; 2012-11-07 at 07:14 PM.

Deleted
    I'm playing with Mastery in PvP. Can't tell if it's a DPS increase in PvE but in PvP it sure is.

I don't have 100% uptime so I won't have as much use from haste as I have from mastery because diseases will still do damage. Also soulreaper execute damage can change the outcome of a game since it scales with mastery it pretty much ensures a kill.

However I play in following prio: 3% hit/expertise>Mastery>Haste>Crit. So should I reforge into crit from haste actually?

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Tried reforging mastery ( no gems changed yet ) and i did 67k dps on Spirit Kings, 5 minutes 51 second kill

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 08:02 PM ----------

Tried Elegon with Mastery reforges, 126.7k dps, so this might be viable..

Gonna try it tonight in MSV HC and HoF Normal and upload logs to here
    Only gems I really change is instead of going say, STR/Haste, I go STR/Mastery (not even sure if there is a STR/haste gem tbh) But that sounds nice for SK, question though. Would you be willing to do say, a LFR Feng to give dps on that? Because of how that's dumbed down it's pretty much just sit and hit for melee, and would give me a good basis to judge on (considering also you have a bit better gear then I, just I play with the mastery playstyle so might be able to judge it well).

Deleted
    It could be viable. How much I really don't know but you know already the answer: sim it :P

Deleted
    I dont use Sim and i dont know how to use it.

MSV logs: Feng and Stone guard: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h073rkc4cbz4mo0c/
    Garajal: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jxs2q30zoe8gjxkr/

Currently sitting on 2520 Haste, 3677 Crit, 7577 Mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont use Sim and i dont know how to use it.

MSV logs: Feng and Stone guard: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h073rkc4cbz4mo0c/
    Garajal: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jxs2q30zoe8gjxkr/

Currently sitting on 2520 Haste, 3677 Crit, 7577 Mastery.
    These are some really nice number! 91k avg Death Coil.... wow

Might have to give this mastery a go.

Deleted
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jxs2q30zoe8gjxkr/ HoF log, ranked 4th on Vizier as unholy with mastery reforges and gems.
    Armory updated with reforges etc

Very interesting.

That's a great WoL result. I also note that the people ranked above you all have heroic weapons and are 4-5 ilvls higher than you.

How do the numbers from MSV compare to the numbers you got while following a standard priority?

I's also be interested to hear your thoughts on whether you think the mastery reforge is better across the board or only on specific fights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenantparadigm View Post
    Very interesting.

That's a great WoL result. I also note that the people ranked above you all have heroic weapons and are 4-5 ilvls higher than you.

How do the numbers from MSV compare to the numbers you got while following a standard priority?

I's also be interested to hear your thoughts on whether you think the mastery reforge is better across the board or only on specific fights.

So far ive noticed that its not really that good on zerg bosses like patchwerk type fight, until you get to 35%, then your damage goes through the roof.
    MSV numbers: My max damage in MSV Stone Guards was 166k dps, today i did 171k.
    First feng kill i was frost, last week i was Unholy, i actually did 2k less dps today, but i did more damage this week., was 5th on damage last week, third today.
    Gara'jal, clearly better if you go in to the other room and use unholy blight.

Fantastic - I may have to give it a try.

I guess an additional benefit is that you are following the same reforge priority as DW Frost so would only have to swap out weapons if you wanted to change specs depending on the fight.

To me DW Frost + Unholy seems to be a more versatile total dps combination than 2h frost + unholy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenantparadigm View Post
    Fantastic - I may have to give it a try.

I guess an additional benefit is that you are following the same reforge priority as DW Frost so would only have to swap out weapons if you wanted to change specs depending on the fight.

To me DW Frost + Unholy seems to be a more versatile total dps combination than 2h frost + unholy.
    Exactly. 10chars

Deleted
    Haste is by far better than Mastery, I'd really like to see some sims instead of numbers from logs. It seems just a bit strange gemming-reforging to mastery is a dps increase since Mastery is very low on weights.

you know the weights can technically be wrong right? They were wrong at the beginning of cata for frost dks too. I was going haste/UP well before consider changed his entire frost thread because it was easy to see that FP/Mastery was garbage. Granted the frost spec until 4.1 was utter garbage in general but i was needed to stay frost for icy talons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    you know the weights can technically be wrong right? They were wrong at the beginning of cata for frost dks too. I was going haste/UP well before consider changed his entire frost thread because it was easy to see that FP/Mastery was garbage. Granted the frost spec until 4.1 was utter garbage in general but i was needed to stay frost for icy talons.
    I know they can be wrong but I know aswell that a real fight can be messed in a lot of way that you don't even know.

What I meant is "ok you think mastery is better than haste but where are real numbers?" I don't give credit to someone saying "I did 100k dps with full mastery" because he could have done more dps with full haste or he could have done more dps if he would have done the fight in a different way... And I won't give any credit to someone saying "I did 100k dps with full mastery while the last week I did 90k dps with full haste" either for the same reason I stated above.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    I know they can be wrong but I know aswell that a real fight can be messed in a lot of way that you don't even know.

What I meant is "ok you think mastery is better than haste but where are real numbers?" I don't give credit to someone saying "I did 100k dps with full mastery" because he could have done more dps with full haste or he could have done more dps if he would have done the fight in a different way... And I won't give any credit to someone saying "I did 100k dps with full mastery while the last week I did 90k dps with full haste" either for the same reason I stated above.

Looks like someone hates to be wrong...

I would like to see that mastery unholy is better for PvE much like it is for pvp. The only problem is I feel in BGs while leveling I have to put it a lot more effort as unholy than frost haha. But with a healer I kill a lot better.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Looks like someone hates to be wrong...
    I was about to say the same thing haha

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post

Regardless of my last post, I understand what you're saying. While you may kill the boss two straight weeks the same way, it doesn't mean second for second every keystroke was the same. Also after a week your dps could have improved cause the raid killed the boss faster etc. There are a lot of variables and I do understand that however I'm simply saying that the stat values could be wrong like they were at the beginning of cata which was proven to be wrong. If you were a frost dk and not dw unholy and actually ranking you would understand that...However I don't think you played frost then especially considering this is an unholy thread. I ranked 19th on al'akir as frost when Al'Akir was actually progression. This was going haste/mastery UP over Mastery/Crit FP. Was also top 10 FDK for alysrazor(I shouldnt have been flying I know but I was one of my guilds top dps so I was better suited for the sky). Then I quit the game and people got geared enough to the point that I was obviously run out of the top spots. Anyways back to my point the stats could be wrong...just play around with simcraft and input stat weights different change haste and mastery point for point and see how much the dps changes whether up or down?