Thread: Windows Phone 8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    They should have sent you an e-mail with the order number. That's what they did for me. They ship it to your house, and it shows that mine is coming today (though I'm irritated to see that it says it's not out for delivery and it's almost 2 PM). I didn't buy a screen protector, just the phone, so it was about $54 for each item.

I did give them my email, but did not receive an email. It may have something to do with the fact that I had him ship it to the store (because the shipping address on the account is my parent's house where I no longer live).

That's possible. I don't think he asked me where I wanted it shipped. I thought it would be shipped to the store, but when I checked the tracking number, it was listed as on its way to my house. It showed up not long ago, and it's in black. I've got my phone sitting on it right now.

So...you KNOW something I'm wondering is what happens if I plug in my microUSB charger while it's on the plate...will it charge my phone faster or burn the battery out?

noteworthynerd, did yours show up? Just checking in. I've been playing the heck out of Wordament on my Lumia 920 now. The battery's a bit sketchy when you're putting it through constant gaming and music, but that's sort of to be expected. People have had some general battery life complaints with the phones, though. My sister's been loving her Lumia 822 on Verizon as well, and she (and her fiancé, who has a Galaxy S III and has to play on her phone) have been playing Wordament as well, pretty addicting game.

There's also another deal going on (allegedly through carriers, though Nokia said it was through their pop-up US stores, so I don't know what the heck's going on) where they are shipping you a free set of $90 Purity earphones if you mail them the necessary paperwork (application and copy of receipt, maybe with one or two other things), but you had to have gotten the device on 11/20 or later, which sucks.

Anyway, has anyone else gotten a Windows Phone? Some people obviously have, because apparently AT&T is sold out of the black and cyan models, but after using this phone for a while, I'm genuinely disappointed that people opt for Android and iOS, but maybe that's just because of how I use my phone (Xbox LIVE gaming and Nokia Music being the two biggest things right now).

Nope, still have not heard from them.

I actually went to the store last weekend and asked about it. The clerk there told me that I would get an email and my credit card would be charged when it shipped. My card was charged last week, but I still haven't gotten an email, so I'm thinking he's probably entered my email address incorrectly, I need to call them again and see if it is there.

I'm not exactly happy with the battery life, personally. I've done all suggestions I've come across to help save battery life (e.g. block background applications, manual mail fetching, all app syncing turned off, NFC off, Nokia drive uninstalled, touch sensitivity to normal, brightness to low, etc), and I'm still having to charge nearly once every 24 hours even if I use the phone sparingly (light Twitter, Facebook, and browsing). This is quite a bit of difference from my iPhone 4, which I would only have to charge a few times a week. I was especially frustrated the other day when I went to bed with it at 68% charge and woke up to a "critically low" battery (< 5%).

That being said, I'm not sure if it is a big enough complaint for me to return it.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-11-26 at 06:26 PM.

Deleted
    The Nexus 4 is $300 off-contract for the 8GB model and $350 for the 16GB model.

The Lumia 920 is a 32GB device that costs $450 off-contract.

Quote Originally Posted by kisiel View Post
    The Nexus 4 is $300 off-contract for the 8GB model and $350 for the 16GB model.

The Lumia 920 is a 32GB device that costs $450 off-contract.
    The Lumia 920 is $100 on-contract. The Nexus 4 is $200 on-contract.

Also, remember that with the Nexus 4, you cannot get LTE and the storage is non-expandable. I currently have 11 GB free on my phone, meaning I've used up 21 GB already, more than what either Nexus can offer me. I have several games (many just to try out if I ever stop playing Wordament, haha), 35 pictures+screenshots (with more deleted because I synced them to my PC), 1,830 songs (plus the 4 offline playlists allowed by Nokia Music), and 2 videos (a couple of episodes of Doctor Who, in case I have an hour to kill somewhere).

So talk up your Nexus. I'll take 2-4 times the storage, a free wireless charger, and Windows Phone's UI (which I like more). Oh, and Wordament. I love it and the Xbox LIVE integration into games.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Nope, still have not heard from them.

I actually went to the store last weekend and asked about it. The clerk there told me that I would get an email and my credit card would be charged when it shipped. My card was charged last week, but I still haven't gotten an email, so I'm thinking he's probably entered my email address incorrectly, I need to call them again and see if it is there.

I'm not exactly happy with the battery life, personally. I've done all suggestions I've come across to help save battery life (e.g. block background applications, manual mail fetching, all app syncing turned off, NFC off, Nokia drive uninstalled, touch sensitivity to normal, brightness to low, etc), and I'm still having to charge nearly once every 24 hours even if I use the phone sparingly (light Twitter, Facebook, and browsing). This is quite a bit of difference from my iPhone 4, which I would only have to charge a few times a week. I was especially frustrated the other day when I went to bed with it at 68% charge and woke up to a "critically low" battery (< 5%).

That being said, I'm not sure if it is a big enough complaint for me to return it.
    Yeah, the battery life varies for me. At first, it was saying 1-2 days with light use (a little web browsing and nothing else, really). Now, I'm playing a LOT of games (mostly Wordament...GET THE GAME!!!), and I'm using Nokia Music's offline playlists a lot (plus a good deal of Xbox Music usage for listening to my personal library; it's almost completely replaced my Zune HD, though I keep the latter device on me anyway). I'm getting about 10-15 hours of quoted battery life from the Setting menu, but I have so many chargers that it doesn't matter. Having the wireless charger's a nice convenience, because I casually set the phone on my desktop and it charges. There are too many times where I'd just set my phone on my computer and be too lazy to plug it in before, haha.

Having 2 USB and wall chargers (one from the Lumia 920 and one from my old Droid Incredible), the wireless charger, and a car charger (from Verizon, got it with my Droid Incredible), it's very rare that I'm not by a charger, so the shortened battery life doesn't bother me. With all of the features, improved UI (personal preference over Android and iOS), and the price (half that of other flagships), I just don't see how this phone can be beat.

I assume you mean you haven't gotten your wireless charger, though? What color did you get your phone in? I'm seeing that the black and cyan ones are sold out through AT&T. There are a lot of people upset over the wireless charger fiasco, though. One person said his order was canceled 3 times, and several haven't gotten them yet. I got mine right away (got my phone the 9th, was given a date of the 13th, got the charger the 13th, as it said), so no complaints from me.

Deleted
    <snip>

um never mind wasnt looking hard enough.
    Last edited by mmocf391b05d2d; 2012-11-27 at 12:22 AM.

Did not see your initial comment. If you have any questions about Windows Phone, leave them here. I can probably answer them.

Yeah, I meant I have not received the wireless charging plate yet. Phone is white.

I should call them, but I've been busy, it may be sitting at the store for all I know considering my credit card was charged sometime last week.

That would be odd. When they ordered mine, I was charged when I bought the thing, and it was shipped directly to my house. Did they send you an e-mail about the order? I got one, and it included a tracking number.

Nope, no email. But like I said, the guy probably just entered it wrong, he never asked me to spell it or anything.

I see, that's dumb of him. The guy I worked with actually said it to me as he typed it (after I had spelled it for him the first time because I don't trust people, haha). What a crappy employee.