Monk the class for me?

Hey all I posted this on the battle.net forums but not getting any feedback there so I'm hoping you all can help. I'm a 7 year WoW vet who got burned out during Cata. After 8+ months off I'm coming back, but I'm not sure what class is right for me after MoP.

The monk has a lot of appeal just because it's new and different. But I'm curious about how the rotation feels. My favorite time playing WoW was my Frost DK in Wrath. Super tight rotation, rarely a free GCD, very rhythmic. But the rotation got too slow and boring in Cata. So I'm looking for the closest thing.

I was advised the wind walker dps rotation might be similar, so I'm asking; is this the class with the dps style I've been looking for?
    Thanks!

only you can decide. pretty drawn out topic
    Nerdrage-15 Minute Cooldown. You enter a berserker rage, increasing typing speed by 75%, chance to hit CAPS LOCK by 50% and decreasing chance to get laid by 100%. You feel no pity or remorse and can not be stopped unless banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idunno. Frost DK nowadays is still pretty gcd-capped. Every ability lets you have a .5 sec gcd and the new Frost Presence allows you to use Frost Strike more often due to reduced RP cost and more RP generated from rune abilities. Should try it, I'm having a blast with it.

That said, Windwalker Monks have a pretty nice feel ability-wise. Rising Sun Kick always is fun to use since it hits like a truck. VERY mobile class too what with roll and Flying Serpent Kick(best move ever imo).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Deleted
    If your coming back you may as well just try it and see for yourself.

Deleted
    For pve purposes, monks are fine.

For pvp, though, monks are the most balanced class in wow, for nothing is more balanced than 0 itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Feverdreams View Post
    Hey all I posted this on the battle.net forums but not getting any feedback there so I'm hoping you all can help. I'm a 7 year WoW vet who got burned out during Cata. After 8+ months off I'm coming back, but I'm not sure what class is right for me after MoP.

The monk has a lot of appeal just because it's new and different. But I'm curious about how the rotation feels. My favorite time playing WoW was my Frost DK in Wrath. Super tight rotation, rarely a free GCD, very rhythmic. But the rotation got too slow and boring in Cata. So I'm looking for the closest thing.

I was advised the wind walker dps rotation might be similar, so I'm asking; is this the class with the dps style I've been looking for?
    Thanks!
    It's actually rather similar, yes. It's a bit frantic at the start when you have a lot of energy, but it settles out. Long-term you will find you have free GCDs, but that's the case in most classes now. They don't like having people being gcd locked.

Very rhythmic, though? Maybe not. The free Tiger Palm and Blackout Kicks add some degree of variability. But it's not all that much more than what Killing Machine or Rime procs did, so if you liked those then you probably will like Monk.

It's a bit of a reverse of the DK, though, in that DKs do a bunch of different moves that build up RP, and then deplete it on Frost Strike. Whereas the Monk depletes Energy with Jab, and then uses a bunch of different moves with the chi.

I got every class at 85 and i played with every spec (not holy paladins) and i gotta say that, IMO, monks are simply more fun to play than Rogues/Cats and way less annoying than DKs.

As far as tanking and dps goes, my Monk has completely replaced my Rogue, Cat and DK - while Mistweavers need a bit of improving... but they are still more fun than Resto Druids.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I realize no one can tell me if I'll like the monk class, but your opinions on the feel of the rotation and so forth is much appreciated. It's such a pain to level a class all the way to 80+ just to find out that once all the mechanics are in place, I don't like the class. ##cough## retpally ##cough##

Quote Originally Posted by Feverdreams View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I realize no one can tell me if I'll like the monk class, but your opinions on the feel of the rotation and so forth is much appreciated. It's such a pain to level a class all the way to 80+ just to find out that once all the mechanics are in place, I don't like the class. ##cough## retpally ##cough##
    Rotations for all 3 monks are getting improved in 5.1 patch, especially for WW and Brewmasters - so they will be even better.