Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There have been some changes which are very encouraging and are outlined in the beta forums for PvP.

I am still not sure if we are allowed to copy paste from the beta or if we can reveal this information yet, but I really think there have been 2 QoL features that will change the landscape of PvP Queues and BG's, not to mention improving elements of the PvP grind.

EDIT: Far more than just two actually. I just dug a little deeper and there are several appropriate changes which will be introduced in SL.
    Last edited by Antipathy; 2012-11-08 at 03:31 PM.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    not to mention improving elements of the PvP grind.
    Improving a problem isn't the same thing as solving it.

Besides, there tends to be a backlash against "improving" the grind by the people who have a lot of time to devote to the game.
    When they see people gear up quickly they think that its somehow detracting from the "skill" requirements of grinding.

I remember when cata first came out. I was able to gain arena points so quickly that I could play 10 characters a week with relative easy. They were all pretty geared after a short period of time without much time investment. However, that did not mean I got to 2400 with classes I never pvped with before. In fact, the classes I was bad at, I was still bad at. And my rating on those classes reflected that fact. The gear didn't make me better. However, I was on an equal footing. So the classes I was good at, my ratings quickly rose and stayed high. I didn't need to grind for 6 months to be have a fair shot. I just got my gear and started playing.

And what happened?

People complained. Soon I had to actually grind points on all my characters. Having a high rating meant that I had to play more than 10 games a week. In some cases, much more. My laid back, have fun and play all the classes experience was ruined. It became too much of a time burden.

Instead of limiting myself to a handful of characters I decide just to stop entirely. If I wasn't going to be able to have a real life and enjoy my account I wasn't going to play.

Gear grinds for pvp are pointless. When ever gear decided a match it was stupid. Period. Gear should never decide who wins in pvp. therefore, gear should not be in pvp since the goal of pvp is winning.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

If you want PvP in a MMO I'd suggest you go here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    If you want PvP in a MMO I'd suggest you go here.
    I like lots of ideas behind eve online. It would be the perfect game if only you weren't stuck in a clunky spaceship. I like cute little characters that you can get gear for and lots of cosmetic options while fighting those other players out there =)

Yeah EVE is really a hard game to get into for a lot of people. I've tried to play it half a dozen times but just never grabbed me. Part of it is that whole ship being your avatar thing (actually that is probably mostly why I can't get into it).

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Improving a problem isn't the same thing as solving it.

SNIP
    I completely agree with your post but I do believe there are workarounds to satisfy both sets of player-types. There are those who do enjoy the grind process, though.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

I completely agree with your post but I do believe there are workarounds to satisfy both sets of player-types. There are those who do enjoy the grind process, though.
    There is. Add a grind process that doesn't offer a stats advantage. Titles, mounts, shinies.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    There is. Add a grind process that doesn't offer a stats advantage. Titles, mounts, shinies.
    This is an aspect I think GW2 gets perfectly right. Higher ranked gear looks cool, and by playing "better" and devoting more time to PvP you can make your character look distinguished and "cool".

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I like lots of ideas behind eve online. It would be the perfect game if only you weren't stuck in a clunky spaceship. I like cute little characters that you can get gear for and lots of cosmetic options while fighting those other players out there =)
    It's not for everyone I know that but as far as PvP goes it's about the purest form in EvE with actual loss attached to it as well adding meaning to death.

Deleted
    If they ever added arenas, they should be normalized, only offer cosmetic rewards and not take over the game. pvpers cry about balance, i think it should be given to them in the form of arenas.

Srsly i read ppl like the fact that pvp has no gear reward , i read ppl consider balance that all got same gear, i read ppl telling lets do arenas without reward or consider them unbalance.U ppl are either too low or ( something that will prob get me banned). WTF U WANT? I ll waste my time on pvping ill read-practise-kill and die all day long,ill spendt endless nights talking about specific moves and combos should be done in order to win and just cause u and some 9 more nerds manage to kill a big dragon u demand to have equal chance vs me? NO! Definetely NO ill find u ill kill u and ill say "the big dragon sends regards".Srsly have u ever played a decent mmo or u just spam theoritical ideas about what is better for ur time/fun/resistances? if u cant pvp all day long but i can how we gonna be equally rewarded? U are making me sick and i hope u ppl with ideas like these split around the world of MMO cause if u manage to gather all of u in one MMO then it will be totally ruined.Cya in battlefield.JESUS

P.S There are ppl that consider effort should come with a result if in ur little gaming exp u hadnt any results then either the effort was too small or u didnt deserve it.END OF STORY

P.S2 Ppl like u deserve only Lineage2 games, to actually FEAR the other and not just crying about op and pvp and shit, true FEAR among the enemies something that only Lineage2 had back to its good old days.Dont try it if u havent already, u will fail miserably
    Last edited by akon; 2012-11-09 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by akon View Post
    Srsly i read ppl like the fact that pvp has no gear reward , i read ppl consider balance that all got same gear, i read ppl telling lets do arenas without reward or consider them unbalance.U ppl are either too low or ( something that will prob get me banned). WTF U WANT? I ll waste my time on pvping ill read-practise-kill and die all day long,ill spendt endless nights talking about specific moves and combos should be done in order to win and just cause u and some 9 more nerds manage to kill a big dragon u demand to have equal chance vs me? NO! Definetely NO ill find u ill kill u and ill say "the big dragon sends regards".Srsly have u ever played a decent mmo or u just spam theoritical ideas about what is better for ur time/fun/resistances? if u cant pvp all day long but i can how we gonna be equally rewarded? U are making me sick and i hope u ppl with ideas like these split around the world of MMO cause if u manage to gather all of u in one MMO then it will be totally ruined.Cya in battlefield.JESUS

P.S There are ppl that consider effort should come with a result if in ur little gaming exp u hadnt any results then either the effort was too small or u didnt deserve it.END OF STORY

P.S2 Ppl like u deserve only Lineage2 games, to actually FEAR the other and not just crying about op and pvp and shit, true FEAR among the enemies something that only Lineage2 had back to its good old days.Dont try it if u havent already, u will fail miserably

Erm what? anyways i made a poll on this feel free to vote http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rift-Yes-or-No

10+ Year Old Account

Can someone translate this?

Deleted

I cant understand most of your post, but what i got from it was something about, being better then everyone because of your gear?. anyways if arena was to be balanced and competitive it would make sense to make it normalized. Then and only then, is it actually about skill and not because of gear inflation or imbalances.

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I read it 3 times, i still only understand one part of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure English is not this posters native language which is cool. I read this as PvEers are baddies and PVPers are awesome sauce. /shrug whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I'm sure English is not this posters native language which is cool. I read this as PvEers are baddies and PVPers are awesome sauce. /shrug whatever.
    Bitch! you made me hungry now :'( i want some awesome sauce on my burger right about now :P

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    "I feel manly over gearing other players in PvP, I also enjoy ganking lowbies"

Yet something tells me he would quit a game like EvE after he's first actual PvP and loss that would follow said encounter.

On PvP progression and all that, I will probably say, I don't mind PvP gearing and all that, getting the new cool sets is always a bit fun to me. Not quite as balanced, but it is kinda facinating to see how much a difference the gear makes. As well as aesthetics (which, well, I'm an RPer, what do you expect, the sets look cool, I'd fight to get a new one :P)

Deleted
    There have been some changes which are very encouraging and are outlined in the beta forums for PvP.

I am still not sure if we are allowed to copy paste from the beta or if we can reveal this information yet, but I really think there have been 2 QoL features that will change the landscape of PvP Queues and BG's, not to mention improving elements of the PvP grind.

EDIT: Far more than just two actually. I just dug a little deeper and there are several appropriate changes which will be introduced in SL.
    Pretty sure the NDA on beta has been lifted, i can get into the forums without having to log in now. http://beta.forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?t=5930

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    "I feel manly over gearing other players in PvP, I also enjoy ganking lowbies"

Yet something tells me he would quit a game like EvE after he's first actual PvP and loss that would follow said encounter.
    Most self proclaimed PvPers just want to outgear their opponents and flex their epeen. Basically, a bully. The rest of them actually want competative encounters that force them to play at their best and get better. For the latter, beating someone by outskilling them is the reward.