Thread: Struggling top

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    im a big fan of xin zhao or akali top. i excel with both. i would like to try kayle at some point but ive been limited to mostly support duty with her as of the past couple days =(

My advice is to get a handful of Bruisers / Casters that you love and excel at playing.
    Then just practice going top. Learn to exchange while minimizing the damage you take and still not missing on cs.

I see you play Renekton as well (my main). He excels at this. Dive in, stun, spin, dive out. With some farm and fury unspent you will unleash a dread combo without taking much damage (if you good, no damage at all)

My top 5 so far:
    Renekton
    Riven
    Vlad
    Olaf
    Jayce

Will try Elise at some point has she seems awesome for top =P
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been improving slightly, its just tough to actually get to play top as as soon as you get into the game its pretty much instalocked

You just have to do what we all do... as soon as the screen loads for champ selected write "TOP". GG =P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    You just have to do what we all do... as soon as the screen loads for champ selected write "TOP". GG =P
    Never do that. Those players are usually the worst.

Well i do.. else some random player will grab it.. and tbh, most likely he will suck and since i don't play to lose..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derp singed View Post
    I do it with jungle... Are you calling me the worst Mr. Singed?

OT: You actually are for the most part right, I actually get the occasional good top that calls it first and it's also a guy who claims he is on a smurf. Whenever I see them say they are a smurf, it means they aren't usually lying... Just my experience in ranked.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I do it with jungle... Are you calling me the worst Mr. Singed?

OT: You actually are for the most part right, I actually get the occasional good top that calls it first and it's also a guy who claims he is on a smurf. Whenever I see them say they are a smurf, it means they aren't usually lying... Just my experience in ranked.
    I believe he is. Swing the ban-hammer for personal insults!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    I like the fluffy hammer, it's soft and people aren't hurt by it.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    We should rename the ban-hammer to Frozen Mallet

I shouldve been more precise before. Actually its ok to call out roles as long as you dont bitch about it or instalog without even giving others a chance or ask your team if they are okay with it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    while i never auto lock when a match starts i find that if theres something specific i want to do in a game, i best call it within the first 3 seconds and at least have my desired champ selected. i have been wanting to "broaden my gameplay" these last few days so ive been just filling in the gaps of what our team doesnt have. when i do this, i almost never get the role that i think im the best at, which happens to be mid or top.

most of the time it is support or jungle. i dont mind doing support as its something im relatively new at but jungling every game burns me out, not to mention youre basically the de facto scapegoat should anything, and i mean absolutely anything, go wrong in the match. bottom got ganked because no one bought a ward, junglers fault. dove a champion under a tower but they didnt wait for you to engage, junglers fault. top died because he lagged and didnt get flash off in time, junglers fault

Deleted
    Thats a good attitude, dokilar! I just dont like tunnelvisioning one or two roles or even specific champs.(Is it just me or do a lot of those guys log in Wukong or Malzahar instantly and then proceed to get shit on?)

10+ Year Old Account
    We should rename the ban-hammer to Frozen Mallet

I shouldve been more precise before. Actually its ok to call out roles as long as you dont bitch about it or instalog without even giving others a chance or ask your team if they are okay with it.
    I laughed but honestly we should... At least in the intelligent section called the LoL forums.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Landfall View Post
    I main in the jungle with Maokai and Skarner and can play an average Lulu support and just about play mid as Karthus/Dianna.
    However im trying to play top lane at the moment so I can pretty much fulfill every role to some degree and I'm Really struggling..

My top champions are:

Lee Sin
    Yorick
    Garen
    Kayle
    Renekton.

I've been trying to play Lee Sin as at some stage would like to take him into the jungle but i just can't seem to win with any of them against any matchup.
    My CS is pretty much always down as I get zoned out by the enemy, I can't win any trades and once im a kill down they always just seem to snowball hard.

Any tips for improving my top lane by a considerable margin?
    Please take everything I'm about to say for a second with a grain of salt, as they are my own opinion.

With that said, ditch Garen and Kayle. While they're fun, they're just not all that viable anymore. Kayle I can understand more so than Garen, but imo, Garen isn't that great. As for Lee Sin, I firmly believe he should be in the jungle, since that's where he shines, imo.

I'd suggest picking up more typical tops. Yorick and Renekton are great, but also try out Olaf, Singed, Jax, Vlad, and Jayce. As for CS, it just takes practice. Keep at it, and you'll start getting better at CSing. When I started playing Top/AD, I'd practice with just one top/AD in normals for a while until I could last hit efficiently, then move on to Ranked once I got down 3-4 of them.
    I just started doing "Let's Play" videos on YouTube. If you are into that kind of thing, please check it out and subscribe if you like it!

10+ Year Old Account
    My two cents: if you have a mid who doesn't need blue buff you should try Swain top for a couple games. Swain+Athene's+Blue+6 is one of the most fun experiences you can have. Assuming of course you own Swain and have gotten good at him, because he's a little different than other champs.

Other than that, go with Vlad if you are starting out and having trouble - his sustain and escape makes him pretty solid in lane. People might mock you for playing one of the most foolproof top champs though, at least until you drain their blood and bathe in it. Personally, I hate Vlad's attack animation and I find it hard to last hit with him unless I'm straight up using Q and E, but that leaves you open to ganks with your debuff.

I top Pantheon mainly, because burst is fun and because you can easily jump into the other lanes or jungle to help out with kills to supplement your CS and get an early lead. Plus last hitting with E clears waves super fast, while your Q poke keeps you out of trouble because it will 4 shot champs by level 3, and your W can be used either offensively for an easy kill snag or jungle assist, or defensively to hop backwards onto an opposing jungle coming in for a gank.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2012-11-09 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I typically do Xin, Lee, or Rengar when playing top. All three have a decent slow and good gap closing ability, Xin has the weakest escape but he also needs to escape less because his early burst is extremely dangerous. Lee and Rengar both have excellent defensive ability and good chase. I focus on harassing the person I'm fighting top over CSing when using any of those champs, I am slightly more vulnerable to ganks due to how aggressive I play but my choice of ghost instead of flash usually lets me escape if their jungler ganks me quickly. I don't like playing passive top because it is so much easier later on if you win the lane by champ kills rather than CS. If you secure 2 kills in the first 10 minutes then they're basically doomed without an exceptional amount of help from their team, even then they don't stand much chance because you have plenty of gold to pick up some wards so you don't get blindsided by a mid+jungle coming to gank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Ap Xin Zhao

10+ Year Old Account
    Get your Jungler to gank. GG, snowball the lane because top is fucking stupid and more based on when your jungler decides to gank than any actual skill involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Get your Jungler to gank. GG, snowball the lane because top is fucking stupid and more based on when your jungler decides to gank than any actual skill involved.
    ...You're joking right? The jungler could only gank top the entire laning phase, and you could still lose top, especially if your jungler doesn't know what he's doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Someudontno View Post
    ...You're joking right? The jungler could only gank top the entire laning phase, and you could still lose top, especially if your jungler doesn't know what he's doing.
    I mean a successful gank, not a one where you have a retard piloting the junglers seat. No shit if your jungler decides to come in at 1/3rd health and give up a kill then you can lose the lane. That goes for any lane, retards can fuck anything up. That's why we always assume the person playing can at least breath and walk at the same time.

Have you played against someone with a brain top? 1 kill is enough of an advantage to completely freeze and deny the lane. 90% of Top Laners are melee. If someone gets a lead, it's incredibly easy to force trades that you can win. In addition most top lanes go 21 defense for Armor, Indomitable, and the reduced minion damage, meaning freezing a lane is easy as fuck. Top lane is more based on who gets the first kill than anything, and a Jungler plays a significant role in that first kill.