Poll: Which should i chose

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should i work Near home? Or should i work away.

Ok here is my situation,

I am looking for advice from people who have gone through similar situations or have had to make similar choices, or what would you do even.

I am 20 years old and i used to work for Comcast, i used to make around 3-4k a month before taxes. Now my situation is i got laid off recently in the company so i have been looking for work.

I live in Washington state, i ended up finding a Job at Verizon making about 12$ an hour were i would me making far less then i was.

Now, i have an opportunity from two good family friends. One has a business in Michigan one in Chicago they are offering me These two jobs, Both are offering me over 3000$ a month after taxes.

Here is my dilemma, i could stay and washington and make far less money, but get to live on my own and not have to worry about pressure from family (parents) and do what i want to do.

Or i can go to Michigan and live with my Parents again, but make far more money, but rent free.

Another option is i can go to Chicago and make an increased income and not have to worry about my family's pressures. My cut of rent would be only 300$.

Don't take it the wrong way, i love my family, but i do not know if i want to be controlled (Parents and family very religious).

By staying in Washington i have my friends but i will be making far less money.

By going to Chicago i will have some close friends there and i will make more money and not have to worry about "parenting".
    I know life isnt about money but what would you guys do? what should i do?

Opinions Welcome.

Thank you.

Edited for clarification.
    Last edited by hitmanblood; 2012-11-07 at 11:22 PM.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

10+ Year Old Account
    Life is not always about money, Just the first 40 or so years of it is, So follow the money for now man imo

Deleted
    I'd go to Chicago of the 3 options.

More money, cheap rent and freedom... Can't ask for much more than that really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    Life is not always about money, Just the first 40 or so years of it is, So follow the money for now man imo
    I just do not want to lose my chance to actually start a career. Either Michigan or Chicago has that option but Michigan is near family, and i want to be near them but i also don't.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you mean by "friends". They live far away from where you are, so it's not clear. If these are people you only know through the internet, I wouldn't be so quick to trust them. At least if you move back in with your parents, you could save some money and you know them well enough.

If you want to start a career, I'd say Chicago. Not sure what you would be doing with your "friends" or what you would be doing in Chicago. But I'm about 75% sure Chicago would give you a lot more room for a career.

My family lives in Texas and I took a job in the Chicago suburbs. I probably could have gotten a better paying job elsewhere, but I love the area, love my job, and love the freedom. Chicago is an expensive place to live, though, I know you said your share of the rent is $300, but if those living arrangements fall through, it is an expensive city to live in. Also, Cook County (where Chicago is) has higher sales tax and gas tax, and products just tend to be a little pricier. So keep that in mind as well.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    My apologies, by Friends i meant two of my best friends that i have known since we were children are giving me the opportunity, i used to live in Michigan then moved to Washington when i went to work for Comcast. So im hesitant too go back to Michigan due to what i know might happen again regarding my life.

Saving money is important also because i have financial obligations to my Mom and siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanblood View Post
    I just do not want to lose my chance to actually start a career. Either Michigan or Chicago has that option but Michigan is near family, and i want to be near them but i also don't.
    It's not like chicago is that far away from Michigan. It's close enough to visit on the weekends but far enough where you get your own freedom. Chicago isn't cheap though fyi

Can't you get a place of your own in Michigan? That way you will be close to your family but not really under their strict control as you're living on your own.
    Although staying put is probably attractive for several reasons, I would either take the job in Chicago or in Michigan.

My advise? Go for the most challenging/interesting job of the 2 (maybe 3).

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    Also, Cook County (where Chicago is) has higher sales tax and gas tax, and products just tend to be a little pricier. So keep that in mind as well.
    This is what you need to look at. Best i would say to do is go online "shop" for an apartment to get the idea of what it will to cost to just have a roof over your head if something does fall through. Then look at taxes gas food all the needs. If you still come out more than washington and which ever comes out more just take that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    /facepalm, assasination mastery increases poison damage, as far as i'm aware envenom doesn't count as poison damage

Well the choice is yours, but if your parents don't mind you staying a bit it can be a decent option. You can make a boat load of money with less salary if you dont have to cover things like rent and utilities. One thing I would do is put a budget together with realistic pay for each site then subtract out any expenses you would incur with each option. Also get an idea of the cost of living for each place. I lived with the folks for a year out of college when I got my first real job. I moved to the big city with a far larger paycheck, but still ended up with the same disposable income at the end of the day. Money is just one aspect of your choice, but doing this will give you a good idea of how that part would work.

Go live with your parents for a year while working. If you budget right, you'll have a TON of money in savings and can afford your own place. But, really, 300 dollar rent isn't bad and you're still pretty close to family. So, if you budget right you can still make bank and be free from parents' rules.
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2012-11-08 at 06:49 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Chicago. Michigan isn't that far away so you could still see family etc on holidays. It sounds like the best option.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say Chicago sounds the best of the three scenarios.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

"Happiness is having a strong and loving family... in another city."

What's wrong with Michigan but in your own place? I'm not sure of the prices up there but surely 3k a month is more than enough for at least your own apartment.

I don't understand why taking the Michigan job means you have to move in with your parents. I wouldn't even consider living with them as an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to Chicago. Take a second job if you can. At 20 your goal is to make bank while you can and start saving. The earlier you start saving the sooner you can get a place on your own. Plus living/working in a big city is something everyone should do for at least a short period in life.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

My question is out of the 3 opportunities what gives you the best chance to advance up the ladder so to speak? You have to remember your probably looking at marrying and having kids in the next few years. Are you going to be able to support their needs with 3k a month? Probably not. So, what gets you to best opportunity to start making 4k, 5k, 6k, etc.

Personally I would go for Chicago. I've visited there a couple of times and enjoyed myself both times. Plus it gives you the money and your far enough away from your family without being too far away for visits. I've been there done that with parents and siblings all being 10 minutes away from me. It's better now with only my brother being 10 minutes away.