Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone else miss when glyphs were actually needed/useful...?

I preferred when buying glyphs actually made a difference; mainly in PVE I admit. Seems like all the glyphs these days are more or less for PVP, which is fine for PVP ofc (options are always nice), but otherwise glyphs seem very lacklustre. Of course there some classes and specs that have a few important/necessary glyphs, but seems in general they borderline irrelevant; I could raid with my DK without any glyphs basically.

Now, I have Inscription on an alt, which I intend to drop for Mining since I'm not interested in trying to make money with Ins, so my point ain't either to whine about getting gold. Despite the glyphs having being more or less set in stone for what you used to need for raiding/maxing your dps/hps/mitigation, at least I got the feeling that I was improving my character. I don't mind the visual changes the minor ones provide, but the major glyphs seem bit of letdown most of the time.

Feel free to agree/disgree, at least try to make vague attempt at being civil

For Fire Mages they make a rather significant difference in PvE, for one.

they were not all ta exciting though, +5% dmg to x isnt really a choice

Glyphs were like the old talent system - pick what the internet tells you to and never change it. The new system lets me customize to my own preferences and adapt to specific situations.

The new glyphs are infinitely more 'useful' than the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    they were not all ta exciting though, +5% dmg to x isnt really a choice
    Exactly this. The current system is pretty much how I felt glyphs should've been from the start. Having (some) choice on small utility and defensive changes is far better than "these are the three good glyphs; get them or you're a retard."

The new glyph system is good, when raiding I sometime realise that changing glyphs for a particular boss fight is very advantageous.

I really enjoy this new glyph system. Specially for PvP, I genuinely feel I have a lot of choice where I can be flexible depending on my comp.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really like the new fun minors. But yes I do miss the majors/primes being useful and needed.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    Exactly this. The current system is pretty much how I felt glyphs should've been from the start. Having (some) choice on small utility and defensive changes is far better than "these are the three good glyphs; get them or you're a retard."
    Majesty.

OT: I agree that the current system is good. It gives a bit more freedom in customizing your character while still having beneficial effects to PvE and even PvP. And freedom in customizing your character is very necessary in a game like WoW.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh...I think blizz can always do better...for example the can go back to path of the titans and fuccking finish it.
    It seemed like it would've been tHe perfect glyph system.

Isn't it a bit early to be nostaligic about glyph changes?

Give it 6 months...

I'm not a Scribe, but I do feel bad for you guys. It seems like with the introduction of "Change your talents/glyphs to fit your playstyle", many glyphs became entirely optional, rather than the "Increases the damage of x by y%", making many people say "Well if it doesn't directly help me, it can wait until I hit max level."

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen players 85+ without a single glyph.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    OK, I might've exaggarated by implying that glyphs are useless these days, but just can't shake the feeling that even if I change them from a boss fight to another, it's not required, compared to, say, not gemming at all. Naturally this is somewhat of question of taste; whether one prefers a set of "required" glyphs which are a boost,despite admittedly a bit boring ones e.g. +X% dmg, to more defensive/situational ones. Guess I just gotta give it time and appreciate what I got And guess my whine was somewhat of DK's point of view...

i like the new glyph system but i wish the glyphs were more useful pve wise.. for pvp they can be situational but im talking about glyphs that could alter a spells dynamics.. like changing deathgrip so it actually pushes a target super far away from you.. or something.. thinking outside the box or making spells do something totally different vs unglyphed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by casually View Post
    i like the new glyph system but i wish the glyphs were more useful pve wise.. for pvp they can be situational but im talking about glyphs that could alter a spells dynamics.. like changing deathgrip so it actually pushes a target super far away from you.. or something.. thinking outside the box or making spells do something totally different vs unglyphed.
    Either that, or.... have DG pull 2 targets chain-style(target and next closest target, or target and focus target).

Deleted
    I feel a huge lack of choice with the glyphs. As a shadow priest i have 3 majors that are a no brainer and not much else to choose from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togasa View Post
    The new glyph system is good, when raiding I sometime realise that changing glyphs for a particular boss fight is very advantageous.
    There's 0 difference from the old system and the new one, and that goes for talent "choices" also.., each class have the best "choices" in the tiers that control your output / mitigation, and it's the same for glyphs, each fight have a clear winner when you chose a glyph. (A very few fights are a matter of preference), but overall it's the same in a different wrapping design to make the player feel like there's a choice.

Then again, any one can slot w/e glyph they want on any given fight and say it's because they have the option, but that "choice" you also had with the old system.., even after the so called balancing blizzard have done, they've only made the previous clear winners the second option now.
    You can then go onto how it's down to personal play-style, and you'd be right.., but that have always been the case.., also-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rund View Post
    I feel a huge lack of choice with the glyphs. As a shadow priest i have 3 majors that are a no brainer and not much else to choose from.
    Dark Binding, Vampiric Embrace, Mind Flay, Fade, Mind Spike and Shadow Word: Death.
    Yea, no options and just 3 of them.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 12:02 PM ----------

People that say that the new system is like the old system: No options and just one good pick of glyphs and talents are just bad players that cant think out of the box.

Deleted
    well for some specs they tend to be more usefull, for others they are pretty much useless. i can certainly imagine that the glyohs are more useful for healers as opposed to dps, and for some there really isnt a choice or rather the options you have is extremely limited. as a demo/afflic lock, i have very few options, i have glyph of soul shard which is the only mandatory glyph for afflic, the rest is entirely optional and you pick after your playstyle, for demo there everything is pretty much optional.

I think the minor glyphs are spot-on, and for most classes do what they are supposed to, they're just fun/cosmetic stuff. The major ones need some work, IMO, while it varies by class...it's not so much that they need to be more powerful, there just needs to be more viable options to pick from, as there are usually two that are still pretty much mandatory for min/maxing. On some classes I find it hard to pick from because there actually are options, on others I feel like there is almost nothing really exciting to pick from at all.