need help with connecting pc to tv (have dvi to hdmi cord)

hi guys! i just got a new tv (an LG) and im trying to hook up my pc to it, i have them both connected but the tv is reading "no signal." now i tried hooking it up to my macbook pro and it works perfectly fine, as soon as i connected them i was all set. my pc is running windows 7 with a sapphire AMD radeon 7850 graphics card. is there some initial set up that i need to do on windows for them to sync up? thanks!

I don't know. I just had to plug the cable in and set the telly on the right channel. Also running windows 7.
    No additional drivers to install or anything.. Apperently it's different for you :S

yup, that's what i was expecting to happen.. my macbook pro does just as you described, but it doesnt seem to be working on my pc :/

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 10:58 PM ----------

alright so i should have mentioned that the TV will be basically a second monitor.. i've done windows+P & tried selecting duplicate or extended, but it doesnt seem to actually be selecting those options.. ive also gone to screen resolution, but there is no drop-down for multiple displays, any idea why my pc isnt reading the monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Avora View Post
    yup, that's what i was expecting to happen.. my macbook pro does just as you described, but it doesnt seem to be working on my pc :/

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 10:58 PM ----------

alright so i should have mentioned that the TV will be basically a second monitor.. i've done windows+P & tried selecting duplicate or extended, but it doesnt seem to actually be selecting those options.. ive also gone to screen resolution, but there is no drop-down for multiple displays, any idea why my pc isnt reading the monitor?
    if your look closely there is also an activate this display if its showing up as plugged in but no signal.

i dont see the active this display :/ it just doesnt seem to be recognizing a second monitor, i unplugged my pc monitor & replaced it with the dvi to hdmi i had from the tv and it worked fine, but then i couldnt get it to recognize my pc monitor as a second monitor.. not sure what i can do about it :/

15+ Year Old Account
    do you have the drivers for the video card installed?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I too would like to see an answer to this thread. I'm am in exactly the same position (except I'm using a Toshiba TV; I"m using Win 7 on a Sapphire vid card - and yes, my drivers are up to date).
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

right click on your desktop and click screen resolution. See if its detecting the other monitor on your pc
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not. I already tried re-booting my computer with the TV plugged in too.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    It's not. I already tried re-booting my computer with the TV plugged in too.
    main question is how many monitors do you have plugged into this card? you can only do 2 with out an ACTIVE adapter.So if you already have 2 monitors and you add tv you will have to get an ACTIVE adapter.
    Last edited by OnyxDraconia; 2012-11-17 at 03:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxDraconia View Post
    main question is how many monitors do you have plugged into this card? you can only do 2 with out an ACTIVE adapter.So if you already have 2 monitors and you add tv you will have to get an ACTIVE adapter.
    I only have 1 monitor plugged in with this current card.

Which connections are you trying to use? - You should be using a HDMI port for one screen and the top DVI port (the one with just a - not a + connection).

While logged into Windows, have you tried using detect display in CCC? - (screenshot)

There's another detect under Desktop Management -> Creating and Arranging Desktops
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Which connections are you trying to use? - You should be using a HDMI port for one screen and the top DVI port (the one with just a - not a + connection).

While logged into Windows, have you tried using detect display in CCC? - (screenshot)

There's another detect under Desktop Management -> Creating and Arranging Desktops
    No, I haven't tried that. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. (Thanks for the screen shot too! I can do things better if I can see what I'm supposed to do.)

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 04:33 PM ----------

Update: That didn't work. I turned on my TV, while connected, and tried both ways to detect displays and the Toshiba isn't showing up. I'm beginning to wonder if the port on my PC is faulty...

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 07:16 PM ----------

Update 2: Upon further investigation, it appears that only 1 of my 2 "dvi" ports work. I tried plugging in the DVI to HDMI cable strait into my vid card and it worked. I'm just electing to buy a DVI splitter. And as luck would have it, I'll get it in 2 weeks just in time for me to go BACK to work after a 5 day vacation. Fucking love internet shopping.
    Last edited by theredviola; 2012-11-18 at 01:36 AM.