Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    44

    Top dps spec for rogue?

    Anyone know the offical top dps spec for rogue so far? Someone was saying Sub, but I'm finding that hard to believe.

  2. #2
    It's not Subtlety, that's for sure.

    Right now, I'd put it favorably towards Assassination, but both Assassination and Combat will pull comparable numbers in BIS gear in a month or two.

    General Note: Play whichever spec you have that has the best ilvl weapons (if you are able to play both Assassination and Combat effectively).
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    Rogue - Warlock

  3. #3
    Assas is top according to current sims but in any cleave situation combat will beat it.

  4. #4
    Combat is the only non-dagger spec right?

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Combat is the only non-dagger spec right?
    as has been the case since the end of vanilla.
    yes.

  6. #6
    Combat is beng the last of the three talking about single target damage, but its cleave bring it up a lot in fights that permit a large BF uptime.

    Assa and sub atm are close in terms of dps, but gear and scaling favor assassination in current content.

  7. #7
    The Patient Mutix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bedford, England
    Posts
    250
    Play the spec you have weapons for. Assas > Sub. But if you have a 489 Fist wep and 2 463 daggers then play Combat.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    as has been the case since the end of vanilla.
    yes.
    Ugh, looks like some one is forgetting burning crusade, especially the part before hemo was normalized.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Combat is beng the last of the three talking about single target damage, but its cleave bring it up a lot in fights that permit a large BF uptime.

    Assa and sub atm are close in terms of dps, but gear and scaling favor assassination in current content.
    You say that about combat, but it is still beating sub in single target fights by a substantial margin (like Feng). I have yet to see a single fight where sub is "close" to assassination. Hopefully that does happen at full bis, but...

  9. #9
    Yeah sub was heavy back in the tbc days with fists and swords.

    But it's not viable anymore is it?

  10. #10
    Legendary! Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    6,157
    Sims suggest subtlety is ahead, but assassination pulls close to it - especially in HoF, lots of mastery gear.

    Live data suggests assassination, but there is not enough information on subtlety to verify.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Sims suggest subtlety is ahead, but assassination pulls close to it - especially in HoF, lots of mastery gear.

    Live data suggests assassination, but there is not enough information on subtlety to verify.
    Sub can use a haste backstab build or a mastery ST build, Sub will always scale better than any rogue spec,

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral Duito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere between Reality and Fiction!
    Posts
    1,215
    Combat 1000000
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

    LIFE

    (L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

  13. #13
    Ej have not discusses ST sub into any huge detail, but i can assure anyone that a mastery build with ST is nothing to overlook, sub with insane agi scaling and heavy mastery gear? i dont reckon it will be destroyed any time soon. except a cleave fight but meh

  14. #14
    EJ shows ST as a dps loss from backstab. but even if it is an increase i couldn't see it being a substantial increase (enough to make sub pass mutilate).

  15. #15
    At the moment I think it's assa for single/heavy aoe, and combat for few targets.

  16. #16
    MV normal:
    combat
    mut
    mut
    mut
    mut
    depends on strat

    MV hardmode:
    combat
    mutilate
    mutilate
    either?
    mutilate
    depends on raid strat (havent tried this on HM)

    HoF normal:
    mutilate
    mutilate
    mutilate
    combat
    combat
    depends on strat

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by eijin View Post
    MV normal:
    combat
    mut
    mut
    mut
    mut
    depends on strat

    MV hardmode:
    combat
    mutilate
    mutilate
    either?
    mutilate
    depends on raid strat (havent tried this on HM)

    HoF normal:
    mutilate
    mutilate
    mutilate
    combat
    combat
    depends on strat
    This is true for some players.

    For others the value of burst, knowing sub can do more focused burst damage than any other spec is key, when your are pushing orbs and have precious little time to take them out. knowing for a fact that you have find weakness with vanish, prep, shadomeld, shadowdance, thats 4 orbs down! if you push 5 you have always got shadow blades. all the while you will be cracking out the mutilates and hoping for some passive poisen?.

    Most people dont play sub because they are afraid they will suck, most do.

    exceptional players wont risk it to push sub but that does not make it bad or unreliable, just means there not many players using sub because it is more demanding than the other specs.

  18. #18
    of course it will change based on the player. in the situation you listed its true that taking the personal DPS loss for the raid to gain 10% more damage is definitely worth it, however, if you can get to the point where you can kill the same number as mut it would still be better

    it isnt that exceptional players dont avoid sub because its more demanding.. they dont use it because its less DPS. It will pass mutilate with better gear, but noone has that gear yet.
    Last edited by eijin; 2012-10-31 at 06:34 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by eijin View Post
    It will pass mutilate with better gear, but noone has that gear yet.
    People keep saying this. Why do you think this? Do you have anything to back you up? Simc is the only thing showing sub not sucking, but if you look at scaling on the t14 normal to t14 heroic simc charts, assassination actually gained more dps with the additional gear. I'm not saying you are wrong, but if you have anything other than your own random guess supporting that, care to elaborate?

  20. #20
    Unless Mutilate grossly outdpses Sub, I see no reason (personally) to play the spec that I don't enjoy with Mutilate.
    Play the spec you enjoy and can excel at. It won't matter as long as you are maximizing yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •