Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Selling iMac 27" and building a gaming 27" setup!

Hey guys so as the title states, i'll be selling my imac 27" in the near future as soon as I clean up and restore everything on it
    In replace of it's spot i'd like to build a desktop with a 1440p res monitor with some solid frames in bf3 (maybe 40+ at high with like x2 AA?)

I also like to do my recording and mixing/mastering kinda stuff for my band so just letting you know

my budget is probably around 2grand but the less i spend the better really
    also i live in Australia so i'll be buying from pccasegear.com.au
    This is what i've made so far:

EDIT: I've changed it so what you see is the final updated version of my build.

I originally was going to get the 660ti 3gb but It seems the 7950 handles higher resolutions better?

and for the monitor:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pixel-Perfec...30766364137%26
    one of the cheap Korean 1440p IPS panels with zero dead pixel and dust particles

all up this would be around 1700-1750 with shipping and i'm fairly happy with that price being in Australia

Thanks for any help/suggestions/advice!
    Last edited by Amity; 2012-11-13 at 10:42 AM.

I hear the cooler you've picked is terribly stupid to mount in place. Take that as you wish.

As far as the powersupply goes, I'd go for the OCZ ZT series instead. You don't need more than the 550w to power your rig, though the 650w isn't much more expensive than that again. If that doesn't strike your fancy I'd suggest Corsair's new GS line powersupplies instead.

Deleted
    Just get a corsair H100 for the cpu cooling (and buy 2 quiet fans to place in it)
    As for GPU http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21539 (4bg vram on nvidia cards works like a charm for 1440p screens)
    or see if it is possible to swap the 7950 to a 7970 GHZ edition (due to insane prices on hardware there a 7970 might be a better option compared to nvidia card, for performance in games is another thing :P)

I got almost the same cooler, not 212 evo but 212 plus, and I can approve that mounting system is pretty terrible, even tho overall for cooling this one is very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Just get a corsair H100 for the cpu cooling (and buy 2 quiet fans to place in it)
    As for GPU http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21539 (4bg vram on nvidia cards works like a charm for 1440p screens)
    or see if it is possible to swap the 7950 to a 7970 GHZ edition (due to insane prices on hardware there a 7970 might be a better option compared to nvidia card, for performance in games is another thing :P)
    Why? You're essentially throwing 30-40 buvks out of the window when a Silver Arrow performs the same
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

So i'm assuming you guys suggesting 680's or 7970's means the 7950 won't cut it when it comes to bf3 at high settings? (in 1440p of course)

Thanks for the fast feedback by the way guys much appreciated

I ran BF3 on high settings on a 6950 without any problems. Though, it was at 1080p.

I don't see the 7950 having too many issues, but if you have the money it couldn't hurt to go bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I hear the cooler you've picked is terribly stupid to mount in place. Take that as you wish.
    Its not that bad. I've mounted mine with the motherboard inside and outside the case. As long as you mount the backplate before you put the motherboard into the case, you should be good to go. Once you get the hang of it, its not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Holes View Post
    I ran BF3 on high settings on a 6950 without any problems. Though, it was at 1080p.

I don't see the 7950 having too many issues, but if you have the money it couldn't hurt to go bigger.

1440p monitor is almost twice as big as 1080p and R7950 is only 30-50% faster than R6950 on big resolution. So yeah, OP will see lower FPS than you do.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    i run bf3 on ultra 40+fps with a 7850 on 1080 ress, 7950 will do it with ease. with such a big budget just for 7970. You dont need an after market cooler unless you are going to OC

Either a GTX 670 or HD 7970 is what I'd suggest for your resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Either a GTX 670 or HD 7970 is what I'd suggest for your resolution.
    okay so i've changed the PSU to what you've recommended and changed the 7950 to a 7970
    also changed the heatsink, i've seen good benchmarks on this but not sure if it's a better option than the hyper 212 evo?

EDIT: I feel like i'm taking up way too much space with these massive pictures haha :/
    Last edited by Amity; 2012-11-08 at 01:20 PM.

What about SSD? Today its a musy have and its not that expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    What about SSD? Today its a musy have and its not that expensive...
    mmm, I think it's a luxury I can just add in a bit later on, the more money I save on this the better really,
    means more money I can put into music gear haha

well you can get one 120gb for <100euros probably about 100$AU. And trust me SSD was luxury 2 years ago, now the price is just fine and your programs will start like on steroids...

SSD with that high budget is definitely a must. It's the biggest upgrade you can get.

Also are you sure about that keyboard? LCD on it is a gimmick, and there are plenty of options in mechanical keyboards.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

You could maybe go for a hybrid drive or a small SSD. I don't think it's a luxury, but a essential and rather cheap component in a modern computer, that will make work a lot faster. You basically just need the OS/swap on it (and maybe applications that you use alot. don't really know). If you're worried about the budget, rethink some of the real luxury items like the expensive gaming keyboard or OC-friendly components.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    GTX670 > AMD 7950 - same price, better.
    Get an i7 IMHO - you don't want to be in my position and want to stream quality games on an i5...

Deleted
    Whats the point of a SSD unless you are going to put all your games on it?

"Woohoo Windows loads in 5 seconds, games still take 30 seconds to load."

My pc boots from hibernate only 2 seconds longer on a normal drive than my mates pc boots with a SSD so meh, id rather have reliable 1TB storage vs 128GB SSD for same price and have to move/delete games about like back in the day of 4GB hard drives.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I have to say is: If you're gonna spend that kind of money, you might as well get an SSD. I wasn't too sure of them before and didn't like their cost... but damn, I have 0 regrets after getting one. Throw your OS and games on there, everything else to a second drive. If you do get one, get one of an appropriate size (I bought a 128GB and I have about 50GB free after installing W7, WoW, GW2 and a few other programs that didn't seem to work without being in the "root" drive).