Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,210
    Ok ok. There seems to be a lot of information but what is true and what isn't....

    Should I eat as I do now and keep working out hard? (and rest properly of course)
    Should I eat less?
    Should I eat more?

    Should I lose weight first (simple calorie deficit) and then gain it back?
    Should I turn it into muscle? (if possible and true fact)

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Τhat's wrong.
    Fat does not builds muscle, fat is a source of energy, through breaking down into glycerol and then glucose, and is being stored as a reserved energy for your body in case there is no alternate source of glucose like carbohydrates.

    That's why starving is initially is making you fat, because your body reacts at the starvation by storing everything it can into fat and getting the energy it needs from muscle catabolism, that's why when you are targeting to build muscle you have to be in a positive nitrogen balance aka calories surplus.

    And weight training is a very effective way on losing fat, not as effective as cardio but you will eventually lose fat if you gain muscles since your body will need more calories to maintain the extra muscularity thus speeding up your metabolism.
    In case you didn't notice - you are not arguing with me - you're just saying the same thing using different words.

  3. #43
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,210
    Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    are you tall, too? Because when I started workout when I was really overweight (330 lbs) with 6'5 ft I still ate really much....and I am still eating lot of crap....fastfood and whatever....I never really changed my food, and now I am still 6'5 ft tall (really!) with 290 lbs, but no longer fat as before. Which means, by doing some simple sport without changing something else I gained a lot of muscle mass but lost a lot of fat, so you only lose muscle weight when you actually change the food AND do sports, like they say in most diets....eat what you want (sugarfree!), do workout, and you will lose fat weight.
    Ehm nope, 5,9. 220 lbs aprox.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Ok ok. There seems to be a lot of information but what is true and what isn't....

    Should I eat as I do now and keep working out hard? (and rest properly of course)
    Should I eat less?
    Should I eat more?
    You should test it. No one here can say for 100% sure. Try eating the same and exercise hard and see the results - adjust accordingly

  5. #45
    The Patient Monarken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    288
    OOOOkkkaaay sport. Lose weight, but not muscle?

    Well, first of id go to ur local powder-dealer and pick up a few things (depending on how much money you have)

    Morning shake: Gold standard 100% Whey
    Pre-Workout: Creatine (You may want to skip this, considering you probably will GAIN 7-10 LBS by using it)
    During-workout: Some form of fat burning catalyst, X-tend is good.
    After-workout: Anabolic Bolt + some Lglutamine.
    Before bed: Casein.

    If you put all of this goodygoodness in ur body 7 times a week while lifting moderately heavy i will guarantee you that ur muscle mass will not go away.
    Ur problem seems to be that you are a little fat, there is no easy way around this (Losing it i mean). I would suggest, for starters, that you hit the running-machine-treadmill thing. 2x20minutes per week, high intensety, like, you should be DONE when you are finished.

    As for diet, start eating healthy, its really not that hard. If you really want to LOSE weight you have to realise that cutting down on ur food intake is ur best option, or change ur diet completely. ur Choice brohan.

    Imo, get started on the protein shakes, change ur diet, 2x20min treadmill per week + start on a 8 week Plyoreps training programme. Plyoreps both tones and builds ur muscles. Get ripped bro
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

  6. #46
    A whole chicken is 1500-3000 calories. If you eat it without skin, it isn't bad to eat on a bulk.

    Ignore the guy above, he is wanting you to waste your money. If you want to lose weight but not muscle (which is pretty much impossible for advanced lifters, you can limit your muscle loss though), you want to diet slowly and continue to lift heavy. Supplements will not help you except maybe creatine.

    Do not focus so much of when you eat. You dont need to. You are not trying to be a competitive athlete or bodybuilder so do not min/max. Min/maxing makes everyone you eat with hate you. 5'9" at 220... what is your waist size? I am not talking about pants size. I am talking about using a tape measure around your entire gut. Your pants size can be very misleading as I wear 33 inch pants at 5'9" but have a 30-31 inch waist and I know guys who wear 28-30 inch pants and have 36 inch waists.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-10 at 02:28 PM.

  7. #47
    The Patient Monarken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    A whole chicken is 1500-3000 calories. If you eat it without skin, it isn't bad to eat on a bulk.

    Ignore the guy above, he is wanting you to waste your money. If you want to lose weight but not muscle (which is pretty much impossible for advanced lifters, you can limit your muscle loss though), you want to diet slowly and continue to lift heavy. Supplements will not help you except maybe creatine.

    Do not focus so much of when you eat. You dont need to. You are not trying to be a competitive athlete or bodybuilder so do not min/max. Min/maxing makes everyone you eat with hate you. 5'9" at 220... what is your waist size? I am not talking about pants size. I am talking about using a tape measure around your entire gut. Your pants size can be very misleading as I wear 33 inch pants at 5'9" but have a 30-31 inch waist and I know guys who wear 28-30 inch pants and have 36 inch waists.
    Why not go all-in? A healthy/good diet works wonders. Telling the lad not to focus on what he eats is like telling a PvPer not to gem or enchant his gear properly (Or a PvEr for that case).
    If you are going to do something, you may as well do it properly. While supplements may not be needed, they sure do HELP (If you got the cash for it).

    For the love of god, focus on what you eat, make it ur life. Set up a plan for what you will be eating from a day to day basis and STICK TO IT. Min max everything you can - unless you just want to take it as it comes, and not be super serial about it.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Companiet View Post
    OOOOkkkaaay sport. Lose weight, but not muscle?

    Well, first of id go to ur local powder-dealer and pick up a few things (depending on how much money you have)

    Morning shake: Gold standard 100% Whey
    Pre-Workout: Creatine (You may want to skip this, considering you probably will GAIN 7-10 LBS by using it)
    During-workout: Some form of fat burning catalyst, X-tend is good.
    After-workout: Anabolic Bolt + some Lglutamine.
    Before bed: Casein.

    If you put all of this goodygoodness in ur body 7 times a week while lifting moderately heavy i will guarantee you that ur muscle mass will not go away.
    Ur problem seems to be that you are a little fat, there is no easy way around this (Losing it i mean). I would suggest, for starters, that you hit the running-machine-treadmill thing. 2x20minutes per week, high intensety, like, you should be DONE when you are finished.

    As for diet, start eating healthy, its really not that hard. If you really want to LOSE weight you have to realise that cutting down on ur food intake is ur best option, or change ur diet completely. ur Choice brohan.

    Imo, get started on the protein shakes, change ur diet, 2x20min treadmill per week + start on a 8 week Plyoreps training programme. Plyoreps both tones and builds ur muscles. Get ripped bro

    Yeah.... you dont need all that crap that he listed, save your money.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Companiet View Post
    Why not go all-in? A healthy/good diet works wonders. Telling the lad not to focus on what he eats is like telling a PvPer not to gem or enchant his gear properly (Or a PvEr for that case).
    If you are going to do something, you may as well do it properly. While supplements may not be needed, they sure do HELP (If you got the cash for it).

    For the love of god, focus on what you eat, make it ur life. Set up a plan for what you will be eating from a day to day basis and STICK TO IT. Min max everything you can - unless you just want to take it as it comes, and not be super serial about it.
    Take it from someone who went from morbidly obese to bodybuilder level... I was happier obese because I didn't feel self conscious... I simply did not care about my weight/body. I am happier now at a healthy but not bodybuilder level because I can look good, feel good, and not obsess. Obsession with your body is not good no matter what. This guy isnt that overweight. He needs to lose around 40 lbs. He can do that over a year at a fairly easy basis or he can obsess and do it in 3 months and alienate everyone around him in those 3 months. I think the one year option is the mentally healthy choice. No one likes a health nut.

  10. #50
    The Patient Monarken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Take it from someone who went from morbidly obese to bodybuilder level... I was happier obese because I didn't feel self conscious... I simply did not care about my weight/body. I am happier now at a healthy but not bodybuilder level because I can look good, feel good, and not obsess. Obsession with your body is not good no matter what. This guy isnt that overweight. He needs to lose around 40 lbs. He can do that over a year at a fairly easy basis or he can obsess and do it in 3 months and alienate everyone around him in those 3 months. I think the one year option is the mentally healthy choice. No one likes a health nut.
    You seem to speak for everyone out there, "No one likes a health nut".

    Personally, these "Health nuts" you speak of are the people i surround myself with every day, because we have loads of things in comon. You may not have cared, but this person obviously does care, just look at the amount he has posted in this thread.
    You went from obese to bodybuilder, that is a extreme change, which would take 10 years + without any illegal supplements. If you truly did this, i applaud you, i have my doubts though.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Companiet View Post
    You seem to speak for everyone out there, "No one likes a health nut".

    Personally, these "Health nuts" you speak of are the people i surround myself with every day, because we have loads of things in comon. You may not have cared, but this person obviously does care, just look at the amount he has posted in this thread.
    You went from obese to bodybuilder, that is a extreme change, which would take 10 years + without any illegal supplements. If you truly did this, i applaud you, i have my doubts though.
    Bodybuilder just means you have low body fat and symmetry. There are bodybuilders who compete at around 160 lbs (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...h5BhL1V6RbLu_e). It took 3 years to cut the weight (300 down to 180) and 2 years after that to enter a competition. I weigh 170-175 at competition weight and around 185-190 now. I was still athletic and muscular when I was obese, though, as I did sports all throughout high school and college.

    BTW, health conscious is different than health nut. Health nut is weighing every calorie, never eating out, eating only organic, making sure your micro-nutrients are in line, and refusing to ever eat a pizza or drink a beer. Essentially, to cut down to competition weight I need to be a health nut for 2-3 months and stay away from all temptation. Health conscious means eating unhealthy foods in moderation.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-10 at 08:17 PM.

  12. #52
    I'll admit to being lazy and not reading the past 3 pages (other than the OP).

    Is it ok to eat a whole Chicken? Well Yes, and No. I certainly wouldn't eat one before a workout, nor would I eat one ontop of whatever you normally eat, but under the right circumstances then sure.

    I eat a whole one now and again. I try to avoid the cheap "pre-cooked" ones and go for the Organic ones. Not sure how much difference it makes, but I do feel more comfortable eating ones that weren't pumped full of growth hormones (among other things I'm sure). Anyway, sometimes I'll eat a half, other times a whole, depends on how hungry I am. Usually throw away the Skin (unless I'm starving) which makes it a relatively low fat source of protein.

    I'm by no means a "bodybuilder". I don't "cut" or anything like that. I just Eat high protein, low carb, non-processed foods and do my best to stay fit. So far, eating a while chicken now and again hasn't killed me....

  13. #53
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,821
    I am amazed at some of the "problems" that people have.

    "May I eat an entire chicken, because I am afraid to lose muscle mass"? Ooookkkaaaaayyyyyy? Are you sure this is the right place to ask?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Ok ok. There seems to be a lot of information but what is true and what isn't....

    Should I eat as I do now and keep working out hard? (and rest properly of course)
    Should I eat less?
    Should I eat more?

    Should I lose weight first (simple calorie deficit) and then gain it back?
    Should I turn it into muscle? (if possible and true fact)
    Honestly, the easiest route is a balance of the above that works for you.

    If you want to lose fat, while retaining muscle mass, then the answer is to add some cardio after your workout and modify what you eat (not less, not more, just better).

    You need Protein for Muscle growth/repair (obviously). And our bodies are pretty good at not turning excess protein into fat so you can over-eat it (to an extent). Just watch the high fat proteins, and too much red meat is still bad for you... apparently.

    So my suggestion would be to load up on High Protein, Low Fat foods such as skinless Chicken, Fish and lots of fresh veggies while cutting back on (not eliminating) the Carbs (meaning bread/pasta/spuds/rice etc). If you combine that your current workout, while adding in some cardio after weights, your muscle mass should remain the same/similar while burning the fat... (although you may want/needs carbs before workouts).

    I'm basing this mostly from Theory as when I was in a similar (although different) situation, I decided to lose the weight first, as I couldn't find the right balance between nutrition and exercise (I was also recovering from an injury). The only way I could see any success in weight loss was to cut carbs, but without carbs I struggled to do more than a quick workout. My goal however, was weight loss first.

    Just need to experiment and see what works for you.

  15. #55
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,210
    Wow.. thanks for the help guys.

    I am recovered again from my intense workout 3 days ago. Dayum that shit hurt all over from muscle soreness.



    But going tomorrow again....

    Also I may need to cut back on rice, my mother makes it more than one should, kinda tradition. And I have to control myself from all the sugar and candy that is stored here. It's like a caloriebomb went off and materialized in the form of cookies, candy and chocolate.


    Either way, I will try and experiment, slow progress is fine for me too, as long as it happens.

  16. #56
    The Patient Monarken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Bodybuilder just means you have low body fat and symmetry. There are bodybuilders who compete at around 160 lbs (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...h5BhL1V6RbLu_e). It took 3 years to cut the weight (300 down to 180) and 2 years after that to enter a competition. I weigh 170-175 at competition weight and around 185-190 now. I was still athletic and muscular when I was obese, though, as I did sports all throughout high school and college.

    BTW, health conscious is different than health nut. Health nut is weighing every calorie, never eating out, eating only organic, making sure your micro-nutrients are in line, and refusing to ever eat a pizza or drink a beer. Essentially, to cut down to competition weight I need to be a health nut for 2-3 months and stay away from all temptation. Health conscious means eating unhealthy foods in moderation.
    LoL. Fitness competitions and BODYBUILDING competitions are NOT THE SAME you know.

    Bro, do you even lift?
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Companiet View Post
    LoL. Fitness competitions and BODYBUILDING competitions are NOT THE SAME you know.

    Bro, do you even lift?
    Bodybuilding competition weights:

    Bantamweight 143-1/4 lbs. & under

    Lightweight over 143-1/4 lbs. to & including 154-1/4 lbs.

    Middleweight over 154-1/4 tbs. up to & including 176-1/4 lbs.

    Light-Heavyweight over 176-1/4 lbs. up to & including 198-1/4 lbs.

    Heavyweight over 198-1/4 lbs. up to & including 225-1/4 lbs.

    Super-Heavyweight over 225-1/4 lbs.

    It's like you don't even know the sport? Google bodybuilding competition weight classes. A fitness competition is nothing like a bodybuilding competition--you have to have a special skill (gymnastics for instance)--and go through a routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maDqnpCp8QI. There are no mandatory poses. I don't even think they have male fitness competitions unless you think cross-fit competitions count. I think you must be thinking about a figure competition, the type of thing fitness models do. A figure competition can be pretty much the same as a bodybuilding competition except that it focuses upon attractiveness of the person (with face taking the highest priority) and not only about muscular development. Figure competitions are different from bodybuilding in that a 170 lb guy will destroy a 280 lb guy by nature of 280 lbs of muscle being unattractive. In bodybuilding, the opposite would be true. By this nature, a guy who has good muscular development and is at the top of his weight class will destroy a guy at the low end of his weight class in bodybuilding but may lose in a figure competition if he has a less attractive face or aesthetics. Mesoendomorphs have a good chance of winning a bodybuilding competition but almost no chance of winning a figure competition. Fitness model competitors tend to be mesoectos with smaller leg development and a bigger emphasis on having a very strong adonis belt and oblique cut. Beauty pageants, bikini contests, wet t-shirt contests, and fitness model contests are types of figure contests.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-11 at 02:39 PM.

  18. #58
    The Patient Monarken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Bodybuilding competition weights:

    Bantamweight 143-1/4 lbs. & under

    Lightweight over 143-1/4 lbs. to & including 154-1/4 lbs.

    Middleweight over 154-1/4 tbs. up to & including 176-1/4 lbs.

    Light-Heavyweight over 176-1/4 lbs. up to & including 198-1/4 lbs.

    Heavyweight over 198-1/4 lbs. up to & including 225-1/4 lbs.

    Super-Heavyweight over 225-1/4 lbs.

    It's like you don't even know the sport? Google bodybuilding competition weight classes. A fitness competition is nothing like a bodybuilding competition--you have to have a special skill (gymnastics for instance)--and go through a routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maDqnpCp8QI. There are no mandatory poses. I don't even think they have male fitness competitions unless you think cross-fit competitions count. I think you must be thinking about a figure competition, the type of thing fitness models do. A figure competition can be pretty much the same as a bodybuilding competition except that it focuses upon attractiveness of the person (with face taking the highest priority) and not only about muscular development. Figure competitions are different from bodybuilding in that a 170 lb guy will destroy a 280 lb guy by nature of 280 lbs of muscle being unattractive. In bodybuilding, the opposite would be true. By this nature, a guy who has good muscular development and is at the top of his weight class will destroy a guy at the low end of his weight class in bodybuilding but may lose in a figure competition if he has a less attractive face or aesthetics. Mesoendomorphs have a good chance of winning a bodybuilding competition but almost no chance of winning a figure competition. Fitness model competitors tend to be mesoectos with smaller leg development and a bigger emphasis on having a very strong adonis belt and oblique cut. Beauty pageants, bikini contests, wet t-shirt contests, and fitness model contests are types of figure contests.
    And once again. Bro, do you even lift?
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Companiet View Post
    And once again. Bro, do you even lift?
    Only fags lift. Are you a fag? Real men wear banana hammocks with a bunch of other oiled up, hairless, tan men and flex in front of cameras and strangers. You know, manly stuff.

  20. #60
    The Patient Monarken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Only fags lift. Are you a fag? Real men wear banana hammocks with a bunch of other oiled up, hairless, tan men and flex in front of cameras and strangers. You know, manly stuff.
    fight me IRL. im super serial. ill even bring my gainer and stuff it down ur throath.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •