Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What mage addons do you use?

I've recently picked up WoW again and I'm trying to get find all the usefull addons I used to have, but I cant remember them all.

What addons do you use for your mage? Im specifically looking for something to help me keep track of my invocation buff. I always forget to refresh it during a fight.

Also, are there any other usefull addons out there that everyone should have, not just a mage?

And lastly, do people actually use Omen threat meter anymore? Is it needed? I've yet to see anyone overaggro on a boss in MoP.

Recount is the only one I use, and its not even necessary, I just like it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overaggro is possible with a streak of lucky crits on pull. As for addons, people generally use Weak Auras to monitor procs and buffs. For specific cooldowns when playing Frost, I use needtoknow. For Combustion, I use combustionhelper and for Arcane I use Arcanometer.

For pvp you might also consider using Decursive along with other pvp addons like Gladius.

I tried many add-ons to track Invoker's energy, but the only one that I found useful is the good old tellmewhen. It takes some tinkering to get it working, but I prefer it because I can adjust its size (if it isn't using half my screen I just don't see it) and if you have OmniCC you can see a countown in seconds of when it's going to expire.

All I use is CombustionHelper, NeedtoKnow (for invocation buff), and then Recount and a bag mod. Simples.

Yerr I'd say weakauras/any poweraura or then needtoknow are pretty good to use.

I personally use Needtoknow to track ICD's and Invoker's energy countdown and then tellmewhen to track actual procs. For ignite tracking I do prefer Ignition.
    Also I do use many quality of life mods like arkinventory and so on

Oh and on the overaggro part, I've had some problems with it on pulls at Spirit kings hc and a few others, but ye its just when you get super lucky on pulls and get something like 100k ignite.. but ye generally not a biggie at least if you have your mirror image off cooldown on pulls

10+ Year Old Account
    The only real mage addon that i've got is combustionhelper, to help me keep track of my ignite ticks I'm using elvui which has builtin classtimers so i'm using those to keep myself updated on procs/buffs. Also using skada because its a nice to be able to analyse dps and other shit quickly

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Deleted
    All of my addons are pretty much PvP related. Power Auras is enough to track any nasty pve boss debuff. Also I highly recommend using PowerAuras, it's amazing addon, no it's THE BEST addon ever made. Once you get to used it you can track pretty much any buff/debuff on any target. Not to mention, you can add custom images and sounds.
    Anyway, I'm using the following:

-Gladius
    -LoseControl
    -Icicle
    -PowerAuras
    -OmniCC
    -Recount

10+ Year Old Account
    The main (somewhat) mage related addons I use are magemanabar and raven. Magemanabar is useful even though mana isn't much of an issue anymore for it's health bar. I use raven to track my important buffs (icy veins, alter time, invocation etc.).

PowerAuras is good for those that like it but I much prefer raven.

Other then that it's just all the usuals. Recount, a unit/raid frame addon (x-perl in my case) and bartender.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magenuggets. Bloody awesome addon that tracks whatever magespell you could think of. Ignite, Invocation, Bomb Spell - and a lot of other features. Check it out

Deleted
    Weak Aura's is my main one. There is a thread that gives some good examples of Mage related auras. Specifically check out dennisdkramers post as he has some great fire mage ones. (Sorry I cant post links yet but have a search for it or maybe someone else will link it.)

I use Skada now instead of Omen and recount - as it seems more lightweight and also I found Recount could cause lag on occasion.

I do use Mage Nuggets, but actually probably dont need it so much now as I have weak auras for most of the things it tracks.

Deleted
    as an alternative to weak auras, i use Satrina buff frames. you can configure any buff/debuff on any target in multiply buff frames, make it any size you want etc etc, though it takes some time getting in to. I think its the same with weak auras so i stick to satrina, as i am used to that.

combustion helper is a must for fire mages, or at least some kind of ignite tracking.
    Last edited by mmocd79892434a; 2012-11-09 at 09:23 AM.

<3 combustion helper, great for tracking ticks
    Whoops, sig too big

Addon Control Panel - lets me turn addons on and off without logging out
    Atlas Loot Enhanced
    Auto Repair
    Bagnon
    Bartender4
    Battleground Targets
    Battle Pet Quality Notifier
    Blizzmove
    Cooldowns 1.3.6
    DBM
    Decursive
    GladiatorlosSA
    Gladius
    Grid
    Healers Have To Die
    Interrupt Bar
    Mage Nuggets
    Mapster
    Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
    MogIt
    Move Anything
    NPC Scan
    Outfitter
    Pet Journal Enhanced
    Pokemon Trainer
    Postal
    Prat 3.0
    Quartz
    Recount
    Sexy Map
    Shadowed Unit Frames
    Tidy Plates
    Tip Tac
    Titan Panel
    TomTom
    Trade Forwarder
    Trade Skill Master

if you want to know what a specific one does feel free to ask

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by azzgunther View Post
    I like your UI, what is the round action bars next to bartender?

Also i see you are using Satrina buff frames, but still all your procs/buffs are in the top right corner or top left or over your unit frame, why not have them all together for better overview ? you have berzerk on unit frame, a few procs top left, still dmc trinket timewarp jade spirit and others amongst your top right buffs.
    At least that is why i use satrina. can also be used to make special frames for special boss debuffs and stuff.

here is mine;

http://i.imgur.com/gthMS.jpg

Next to alter time i have stuff like Skull banner and f.ex. Tiles on stoneguards hc.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like one of the worst things I ever saw... You don't have room for the game on your screen. I'm sorry but I personally could never run with an add-on fest like that, it completely ruins the point of immersing into the game.

@stX3 - yours is equally horrible, if not worse

I'm sorry guys but I feel like you're missing the point of "playing" here. That's at least how I feel about it.

Deleted
    recount, combustion helper. bartender = gg

Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    I like your UI, what is the round action bars next to bartender?

Also i see you are using Satrina buff frames, but still all your procs/buffs are in the top right corner or top left or over your unit frame, why not have them all together for better overview ? you have berzerk on unit frame, a few procs top left, still dmc trinket timewarp jade spirit and others amongst your top right buffs.
    At least that is why i use satrina. can also be used to make special frames for special boss debuffs and stuff.

here is mine;

http://i.imgur.com/gthMS.jpg

Next to alter time i have stuff like Skull banner and f.ex. Tiles on stoneguards hc.
    Thanks for the feedback. The little round buttons are a bunch of little fun things like transformation items that I use enough to not want to have to open my bags. Also on-use items like Wikky's Whistle or the Lillypad, Cremation torch, etc. They're masked by an addon called Masque.

The buffs and debuffs are located based on priority of importance. The top right general buffs, with the NeedToKnow bars on the top left by the map showing the random procs that I care to know about (I noticed the Jade Spirit oversight a few days ago so that's up there now). I'm thinking about adding another set of bars in the same location that show up when each proc is on internal cooldown and overlaying it so that, once the proc is done, a cooldown bar shows up in the same location. Down by my unit frame are procs that I manually activate/that I need to be aware of at all times. You bring up a few good points though - I'm going to do a revamp and I'll consider consolidating all procs into one location.

I don't use Satrina Buff Frames for buffs because the NeedToKnow bars are easier to get information I want at a glance; SBF is for debuffs because it helps to have a big Arcane Resonance/Voodoo Doll/Elegon Stacking Debuff popping up front and center during a chaotic raid (if I could find an addon that made every debuff into a countdown bar I'd use).

Why do you have the black overlay over the bottom of your screen? How do you keep track of remaining time of your DoTs? All I see are the small icons with no timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    That's like one of the worst things I ever saw... You don't have room for the game on your screen. I'm sorry but I personally could never run with an add-on fest like that, it completely ruins the point of immersing into the game.

I'm sorry guys but I feel like you're missing the point of "playing" here. That's at least how I feel about it.

Silly talk We all play for our own reasons. I enjoy making numbers approximately equal to the best Mages in the world and that requires immediate access to information from the corners of both eyes. A lot of this looks busier than it is in function because I took a screenshot with as many temporary things up as possible.

Here's a video that shows a much fatter predecessor: http://youtu.be/3j16b3RCu7w Even before I slimmed it down I don't feel like it blocked anything.

Deleted
    Why do you have the black overlay over the bottom of your screen? How do you keep track of remaining time of your DoTs? All I see are the small icons with no timers.
    The black overlay is Viewport from Btex. I loose almost no vision cause, its compressed. my Raid frame is in the black area between left chat box and the bartender square with buffs pots etc. I use viewport because i was always doing black back ground on my chat boxes any way, hate the see through chatbox. And this way i compress a lot of the picture that would normally be behind chatbox/raidframe/bartender up in an area were i can actually see it.

As for dot tracking if you noticed on top of my combustion helper there is 1 living bomb ticking down, if i have more than 1 up they build upwards. the Green square left of the Dot indicates that its my current target.

also to add my cast bar runs in the gap between my buffs and unit fram. Dbm times is above my target unit frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post

i do not know what you mean? ive compressed my image to get a larger viewing field, because stuff hidden behind your ui is no good any way, were my unit frames are is basically what you see at the bottom of your screen. Also ive consolidated all the important info i need to keep track off in 1 place without any non important information getting in my way. The only thing really obstructing my view is combustion helper and i have tried putting it more to the south/west, but in raid i find it annoying to look that far to the side of my screen for important information.

I think this is a pretty clean UI, and you wont see any raid frame or other things disturbing the picture while raiding cause its all in the big black spaces below.

But well every man he's own taste =) Can i see yours btw?(ill be nice )