Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I agree, to each his own. However, my argument is not about the beauty of how you sorted your UI - it's true, it looks neat and tidy. My concern is just how much of the game you are missing because of so many things to "monitor" on the user interface.

As for mine: http://i.imgur.com/jwbDt.jpg?1

- standard UI
    - Recount is often disabled in raids coz who cares about it anyway
    - MSBT with about 90% of the display options turned off
    - CombustionHelper
    - Needtoknow

We can talk about the possibility that my UI isn't "pro" enough in the sense that I'm not monitoring some of the stuff I'm supposed to be (but considering my very wide field of sight, I can take glances at the buff/debuff section without any penalties to concentration). I have even considered adding some weak auras, but I find them boring and unnecessary. However, at least I can see the game

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    I agree, to each his own. However, my argument is not about the beauty of how you sorted your UI - it's true, it looks neat and tidy. My concern is just how much of the game you are missing because of so many things to "monitor" on the user interface.

As for mine: http://i.imgur.com/jwbDt.jpg?1

- standard UI
    - Recount is often disabled in raids coz who cares about it anyway
    - MSBT with about 90% of the display options turned off
    - CombustionHelper
    - Needtoknow

We can talk about the possibility that my UI isn't "pro" enough in the sense that I'm not monitoring some of the stuff I'm supposed to be (but considering my very wide field of sight, I can take glances at the buff/debuff section without any penalties to concentration). I have even considered adding some weak auras, but I find them boring and unnecessary. However, at least I can see the game
    Your comments about ui are kind of ironic, no offense - let me explain why: (of course to each his own your mileage may vary etc)

You're monitoring pretty much what you need to be in terms of standing still and doing DPS, and you have a great open view of the playing field, the problem is that you don't have peripheral access to all the information that you need without for example DBM or some other addon yelling it at you. Yes you can quickly glance at your health without too much difficulty, but wouldnt it be better to have a sense of your health without moving your eyes at all? you'll note that even most good arena players - who are notorious for playing with minimal UIs - will drag their player and target flames closer to the center of the screen to bring them into their field of vision.

A similar point could be made about buffs and debuffs. The importance of tracking buffs and debuffs on yourself and your target frames can't be downplayed. One example off the top of my head is having clear vision of Feng's earthquake buff so you can land a cast the moment it clears.

The perfect ui lwould look good but also convey all the information that you need. Another example is your heating up/hot streak indicators using the default blizzard auras. It is completely playable out of the box and I don't fault you for sticking with it BUT occasionally it actually matters to see how long you have left on the buff. Personally I use two tiny progress bars for heating up and HS, one orange and one red. That keeps my playing field clear but is a similarly obvious indicator of the buffs.

If you care about aesthetics of the game, I strongly urge you to try out weakauras and give my combustion auras a try. I can guarantee you that they're less boring than combustionhelper ;P

Anyway I may have gone off on one or more tangents but the point I was trying to make is that even though large obvious indicators may cover more of the game field, they often allow you to focus more - experience the game more - and do better dps, because you can pay more attention to mechanics and positioning (not to mention raid leading, healing etc).

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 08:37 PM ----------

For the record I would post mine but I play 8 classes (4 90s currently) and my ui is a jack of all trades. It is still undergoing renovations and the mage portion is functionally solid but aesthetically incomplete
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2012-11-12 at 01:39 AM.