Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Disc frustration

Hello.

I am new here on this forum, but I have heard good about it, and that people are very nice to help out.
    Yesterday we had our weekly guild raid, and I went disc due to the buff, to test it out.

I have looked up several disc priest from good guilds, and I believe that I need to fix some minor things with gems and enchants.
    On our other runs we did not have any problems with healing, however this raid we had a new paladin that I was 2 healing with on many of the fights.
    I feel frustrated because we:
    1. had alot of wipes due to healing
    2. I felt that I was healing tanks alone ( primarily on Will )
    3. Logs shows that he actually did better than me (with shitty gear).. It came as a big surprice as I felt I was carrying. I felt that his reactions were very very slow when healing.

I hope than some of you guys out there are good at logs, and can tell me whats going on here, maybe give some good tips on disc, as I actually really enjoyed playing it compared to holy.

Thank you

i personally think disc is OP, but i also use the spirit>haste>=crit> mastery build with smite spam. i try to stay away from using direct heals unless at a high aoe damage phase, then ill pop power infusion and spirit shell and spam prayer of healing about 4-5 seconds before the high damage phase/ability, then back to smite, holy fire, penance spam. i have seen 40-80k dps with 30-60k hps doing this. i find crit to be better than mastery for divine aegis. right now i try to stay away from power word shield but i am also shadow as main spec so my spirit isnt as high as it should be for a mainspec healer. all in all i feel like i do pretty well for using shadow gear and keeping up with a resto shaman and holy pally that are mainspec heals clearing msv normal. srry for the terrible typing, i hope this helps

10+ Year Old Account
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvolt/advanced

Stat weights & Gems
    Your stat weights should be: int > spirit > mastery > haste > crit
    your yellow gems should be mastery/spirit(green)
    blue should be spirit
    and red should be int/spirit(purple)

How to play the "Top-healing Style" of Discipline Priest

You're going to be top heals if you utilize spirit shell correctly. That is where you shine. So you said you're on tanks on will of the emperor, correct? On will for tank healing, greater heal, penance, and PW:S are going to be your main abilities when single target healing. using PW:S for rapture and for emergencies is what you need to be doing. Penance and greater heal accordingly (smite inbetween large hits). Use inner focus with your greater heal. You want to use spirit shell 14 seconds before the room-wide aoe begins. When you hit spirit shell you also want to hit arch angel (with 5 stacks of evangelism) and also hit PI all in one fluid motion. then spam prayer of healing switching between each group until the spirit shell buff wares off. Once that happens the aoe will be hitting your raid, but you're numbers will be good. Keep PW:S up on the tank, and hit cascade for raid damage, then go back to singletarget/smite heals. If the raid is low for some reason, hit some poh (off the tank if possible).

If you do that for every single aoe phase, you'll be top heals no matter what.

This is something that can be applied for nearly all of the current raid fights. Stack evangelism, hit PI/archangel/spirit shell 14 seconds before large aoe, spam poh on the raid and make sure everyone have a spirit shell from poh. when the raid damage starts hit cascade and continue to prayer of healing. when it dies down go back to PW: / smite / penance.

Always prayer of healing for raid damage, and if you're tank healing you can often times prayer of healing off the tank and switch between prayer of healing, PW:S, smite, and penance. Also make sure PoM is always on somebody.

Additional Notes:

In order to be good as discipline priest you have to watch a lot of things. rapture cd/PW:S use, making sure you keep PoM up, making sure you have 5 stacks of evangelism every time spirit shell comes off of cd. making sure you only use PI with a spirit shell/archangel combo. and making sure you time your spirit shell with a large aoe thats coming in 14 seconds. It can be overwhelming sometimes especially on fights like wind lord where you might have to also CC with a spear AND dispel an add (or more) while also trying to break people out of amber. After practicing a lot in LFR, and in your normal/heroic raids, you'll become more comfortable with this style of playing discipline priest and you will see a significant increase in your hps.

You'll also start to notice when you need to hit spirit shell and you'll immediately notice when you hit it at the wrong time because your numbers will be lower and you'll see spirit shells being wasted (not absorbed by aoe damage). On top of that you'll start to learn who you need to spirit shell off of per group, per fight, this can be pretty important because if you're hitting, say a tank on stoneguard with spiritshell->poh and it only puts up 2 shells because of range, then you now know to never hit that tank with spirit shell on that part of that encounter where he is far away.

Again, its a lot to get used to, but once you do, you'll be doing very well.

Timing SS in 10m vs. 25m:
    14 seconds is the time needed to optimize spirit shell in 25mans, it might be better to hit it closer to 7-10 seconds in 10m. I have yet to confirm this myself. In 10m its easier to spiritshell-cap everybody, so it might be a waste to hit at 14 over 7-10 seconds away from an aoe.

My Logs:
    Imperial Vezier: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rr...?s=1152&e=1540
    Garalon: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rr...?s=5961&e=6370
    Wind Lord Mel'jarak: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...?s=3226&e=3686
    Heroic Stone guard: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...?s=6596&e=7009
    Heroic Feng: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...?s=9317&e=9814
    Heroic Garajal: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...=10761&e=11108
    Last edited by Zolvolt; 2012-11-08 at 08:44 PM.

According to the log you seem to be using Spirit Shell way too little. Spirit Shell increases your throughput enormously and you should use it as much as possible.

Next, the math still shows mastery to be the best stat for disc, not crit. Crit is only good for DPS builds when you're interested in pushing as much damage as possible and healing as secondary. This is disregarding spirit ofc which should be your priority over both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zolvolt has given you a really nice basic guide for optimising your HPS in raids. I would argue that you could easily just stack spirit gems instead of going for all socket bonuses.

Basic Overview of Fights as Disc

The Stone Guard
    PW:S Tanks on CD, especially helpful for the physical rend debuff.
    SpiritShell on cd and spam PoH on raid when Jade Petrification isn't occuring. If you need to Pain Sup the tank or call for someone to watch your tank while you do it. If needed throw out a flash heal or two during your spirit shell.
    During Jade Petrification just focus tanks, there will be little to no raid damage in this portion of the fight.
    Repeat until the boss falls over.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szDVvNgKTuw&feature=plcp

Feng The Accursed
    Arcane:
    Shield tanks, Penance/Flash/Gheal if needed, use PoM while your moving in / out for arcane velocity
    Pre SpiritShell the Arcane Velocity then top raid off with PoH - Should be able to do every second velocity, you can PW:S spam the 2nd/4th ect.
    Earth:
    Pre SpiritShell the Epicentre that you use the barrier on as you will still take atleast two ticks. Have your tank interrupt the other Epicentre with the Shroud of reversal + Lightning Fists, there will be no raid dmg from epicentre at all if done correctly.
    Watch tanks HP, ect use Shields, Penance, Flash/Gheal usual tank healing stuffs.
    Fire:
    Pre SpiritShell the draw flame that you aren't soaking with the barrier, use PoH while he still has fire stacks until he's done. Then focus tanks.
    Watch tanks ect xoxo
    Shadow:
    Pretty shitty phase for disc as most of the damage isn't restricted to one group, PoH with Spiritshell on CD to an extend across groups, shield tanks ect.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSgiUb_L2xs&feature=plcp
    The Spirit Kings
    Qiang:
    Pre-stack DA before the pull, really useful for this fight.
    Spiritshell massive attacks, stand out to halo - time it well for hitting the raid exactly as he swings at the raid.
    PoH to top the raid back up, shields and usual crap on tank. You can also PW:S spam massive attacks when you don't have spiritshell, if done right you'll also sky rocket with rapture mana returns.
    Subetai:
    Not much damage in this part of the fight, just watch the tanks and top bumheads up if they're hit by volly, I guess you can spiritshell the raid for volly or you can save it for tanks it doesn't really matter.
    Take advantage of Leap of Faith on the pinned down targets if they aren't broken out in time for volly (Grip them out of it)
    Hymn of Hope during slight of hand since there is no damage (Heroic Only? Im retarded..)
    Zian:
    Just like the shadow phase on Feng, the damage is random if interrupts are missed so you can't fully optimise your spiritshell, use it how you see fit.
    Meng (demented idiot that breathes really weird..)
    Spiritshell the cowardice as idiots attack themselves. Watch tanks they can get railed on this boss, take advantage of pain sup. Correct me if im wrong someone but SpiritShell will fuck your raid during the Maddening Shout as your raid will have to do the damage of the SpiritShell absorb + the 40k? I've never tried it I just assumed thats what would happen so i've avoided it. Maybe I've been doing it wrong.
    PoH after your spiritshell during cowardice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW2x7OjLMPA&feature=plcp
    Elegon
    Stand on the edge of the platform so you can jump to clear your stacks - jump mid gcd after pom or pw:s for optimal time
    SpiritShell the tanks, Construct damage shouldn't be touching your raid, drop your barrier on the tank on the outside (you can have the barrier overlap on the ranged stack on the edge and the tank on the outside ect)
    You can PW:S spam / SpiritShell the energy charge phase, PoH/Cascade/Flash to top people up, yell at idiots that aren't clearing stacks.
    Get all your manaz back during the Pylon phase via solace, really minimal damage keep a shield on your tank while their picking up adds and just watch their health.
    Pretty much repeat till burn phase, try to have cds up for this phase and use an int pot if your mana is fine for optimal output.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2t_HJdcfg&feature=plcp
    Will of the Emperor
    (On heroic pre-stacking DA is useful)
    Just /dance until the bosses are actually up (Not really just heal idiots who get hit by strengths / rages, you can take this time to smite/hf 5 times, just watch tanks during the phases that they're not dancing in - tank healing is actually easier in this respect on heroic because they spend more time dancing - While the tanks/melee are dancing you can take this time to catch up on healing, smite, solace hymn ect. Time your spirit shell for the titan gas phase and then top the raid off with PoH. All your CD's should be up for the titan gas phase, also use barrier during the gas phase to minimise raid damage or more importantly make other healers do less hps. xoxo
    Repeat until boss dies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAuHW1LLwBk&feature=plcp

For disc you really have to know what's coming in a fight a good 20 seconds before hand so that you can build up your evangelism if needed and spirit shell the raid. There's a lot of cooldown management as well. But the number one reason disc priests are doing well is knowing when they need to stack the absorbs. It's a totally different playstyle than holy.

It'll take time but it will get there. I wouldn't expect the buff to last though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolvolt View Post
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvolt/advanced

Stat weights & Gems
    Your stat weights should be: int > spirit > mastery > haste > crit
    your yellow gems should be mastery/spirit(green)
    blue should be spirit
    and red should be int/spirit(purple)

How to play the "Top-healing Style" of Discipline Priest

You're going to be top heals if you utilize spirit shell correctly. That is where you shine. So you said you're on tanks on will of the emperor, correct? On will for tank healing, greater heal, penance, and PW:S are going to be your main abilities when single target healing. using PW:S for rapture and for emergencies is what you need to be doing. Penance and greater heal accordingly (smite inbetween large hits). Use inner focus with your greater heal. You want to use spirit shell 14 seconds before the room-wide aoe begins. When you hit spirit shell you also want to hit arch angel (with 5 stacks of evangelism) and also hit PI all in one fluid motion. then spam prayer of healing switching between each group until the spirit shell buff wares off. Once that happens the aoe will be hitting your raid, but you're numbers will be good. Keep PW:S up on the tank, and hit cascade for raid damage, then go back to singletarget/smite heals. If the raid is low for some reason, hit some poh (off the tank if possible).

If you do that for every single aoe phase, you'll be top heals no matter what.

This is something that can be applied for nearly all of the current raid fights. Stack evangelism, hit PI/archangel/spirit shell 14 seconds before large aoe, spam poh on the raid and make sure everyone have a spirit shell from poh. when the raid damage starts hit cascade and continue to prayer of healing. when it dies down go back to PW: / smite / penance.

Always prayer of healing for raid damage, and if you're tank healing you can often times prayer of healing off the tank and switch between prayer of healing, PW:S, smite, and penance. Also make sure PoM is always on somebody.

Additional Notes:

In order to be good as discipline priest you have to watch a lot of things. rapture cd/PW:S use, making sure you keep PoM up, making sure you have 5 stacks of evangelism every time spirit shell comes off of cd. making sure you only use PI with a spirit shell/archangel combo. and making sure you time your spirit shell with a large aoe thats coming in 14 seconds. It can be overwhelming sometimes especially on fights like wind lord where you might have to also CC with a spear AND dispel an add (or more) while also trying to break people out of amber. After practicing a lot in LFR, and in your normal/heroic raids, you'll become more comfortable with this style of playing discipline priest and you will see a significant increase in your hps.

You'll also start to notice when you need to hit spirit shell and you'll immediately notice when you hit it at the wrong time because your numbers will be lower and you'll see spirit shells being wasted (not absorbed by aoe damage). On top of that you'll start to learn who you need to spirit shell off of per group, per fight, this can be pretty important because if you're hitting, say a tank on stoneguard with spiritshell->poh and it only puts up 2 shells because of range, then you now know to never hit that tank with spirit shell on that part of that encounter where he is far away.

Again, its a lot to get used to, but once you do, you'll be doing very well.

Timing SS in 10m vs. 25m:
    14 seconds is the time needed to optimize spirit shell in 25mans, it might be better to hit it closer to 7-10 seconds in 10m. I have yet to confirm this myself. In 10m its easier to spiritshell-cap everybody, so it might be a waste to hit at 14 over 7-10 seconds away from an aoe.

My Logs:
    Imperial Vezier: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rr...?s=1152&e=1540
    Garalon: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-rr...?s=5961&e=6370
    Wind Lord Mel'jarak: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...?s=3226&e=3686
    Heroic Stone guard: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...?s=6596&e=7009
    Heroic Feng: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...?s=9317&e=9814
    Heroic Garajal: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w7...=10761&e=11108
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Evangelism NOT stack with Spirit Shell?

Deleted
    The bubble buff is nice, but how effective will rapture be, it basicly covers the cost of the shield dont it? maybe a bit more? hardyl game braking or god mode
    at best you get an extra heal every 12 secs

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superp View Post
    The bubble buff is nice, but how effective will rapture be, it basicly covers the cost of the shield dont it? maybe a bit more? hardyl game braking or god mode
    With 10,000 spirit, the 150% rapture -> 200% buff equates to 90,000 additional mana over 6 minutes (the shortest you can consider any raid encounter) at a 20s rapture interval. If you were to increase your starting mana by 30% I think you'd notice a difference. At a 15s rapture interval (must higher skill requirement but possible) it equates to 120,000 additional mana or 40% of our mana bar. And this is at only a 6 minute time frame with only 10k spirit which is extremely easy to get.

@Rec: They fixed Archangel to buff Spirit Shell healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superp View Post
    PW:S is extremely powerful and should be cast on (more often than not) a tank because tank damage is stupid-easy to predict. rapture just lets us do it without going OOM. One shouldn't be so quick to downplay PW:S/rapture its extremely nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    With 10,000 spirit, the 150% rapture -> 200% buff equates to 90,000 additional mana over 6 minutes (the shortest you can consider any raid encounter) at a 20s rapture interval. If you were to increase your starting mana by 30% I think you'd notice a difference. At a 15s rapture interval (must higher skill requirement but possible) it equates to 120,000 additional mana or 40% of our mana bar. And this is at only a 6 minute time frame with only 10k spirit which is extremely easy to get.

so well said.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's good to know. I've just begun to play disc this week, and it seems the guides I've been reading were last edited in September, thank you.

Edit: Does Spirit Shell also stack with Inner Focus now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    That's good to know. I've just begun to play disc this week, and it seems the guides I've been reading were last edited in September, thank you.

Edit: Does Spirit Shell also stack with Inner Focus now?
    You get the mana reduction, but I don't think you benefit from the crit because of the way spirit shell scales with crit. However I could be wrong, but I think its just safer to not use InnerFocus on spirit shell

The big problems is that the paladin doesn't english good.

Deleted
    Thank you all so much for the replies.
    Reading all this have changed my frustration to excitement about trying again in our next raid. I will post afterwards and let you know how it went.
    Special thanks to Zolvolt who came with a nice guide, and RFX who did a good walkthrough on the fights. But I am happy for every reply, and glad that someone looked in the log. Also I am excited about joining this forum, and getting this much reply on my first post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardashia View Post
    Thank you all so much for the replies.
    Reading all this have changed my frustration to excitement about trying again in our next raid. I will post afterwards and let you know how it went.
    Special thanks to Zolvolt who came with a nice guide, and RFX who did a good walkthrough on the fights. But I am happy for every reply, and glad that someone looked in the log. Also I am excited about joining this forum, and getting this much reply on my first post.
    I know Rapture have a cooldown, but if we say: Shield 5 people, and shield's get destroyed at the same time, what then?

Do you only get mana 1x, or mana from all shields?

And shit RFX; your the baws :P
    Last edited by mmoc909dfd26c8; 2012-11-09 at 09:31 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    I know Rapture have a cooldown, but if we say: Shield 5 people, and shield's get destroyed at the same time, what then?

Do you only get mana 1x, or mana from all shields?

And shit RFX; your the baws :P
    Rapture will only proc once regardless of how many shields break at the same time.

Deleted
    Rapture will only proc once regardless of how many shields break at the same time.
    Right. RIP HC LK Days

Deleted
    Has it been fixed? Since a lot were posting that they were getting multiple procs of rapture recently when timed right. I checked our own guild logs and on Garalon saw multiple rapture procs. There was also this picture posted on the eu forums: http://imageshack.us/f/204/rapturecm.jpg/ (Euphorie means rapture)
    Last edited by mmoc76daca7658; 2012-11-09 at 11:18 AM.

Deleted
    Here's a good video twistedmind made about rapture returns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43v8wmwbJMM&feature=plcp. So unless its been changed through a hotfix, its will return mana from multiple shields if timed right.