Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    no need to insinuate dota2 / hon v LoL.

I first downloaded it because it was "F2P" but by the time I quit half a year later I already spent over $75 on skins/sales ect.. Lol so yeah it ended up not being F2P for me because I was so in love with the cool looking skins!

Well when you think about it, League is a really solid game. It runs flawlessly, the balance is fairly even, and it's completely free.
    Seems pretty obvious that the game would do well.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

You know what's crazy to me is the amount of people who watch League of Legends streams and whatnot. According to Riot, many of its official tournaments had more people tune in than the average MLB game gets.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Comparing a free to play game to an MMO with paying subs is completely biased and quite obvious they are going to have more members. They should be comparing themselves to other F2P games.
    F2P or P2P, it dont make any difference.

Some people hate paying, and they are playing free to play games, but this don't mean they all play LoL...

Some people like me, hate free game because there's no updates, because there's a lack of content, because there's too much kids.

Make WoW F2P and it won't be the same game, and a lot of people will just quit.

LoL is the most played game on PC. You can compare LoL with any game you want, it's still the most played game.

Nowhere in the article, or on www.riotgames.com does it specify what they qualify as an 'active player'.

For all we know, they may be counting logged in accounts.

I don't know about you, but I leave my client open over night plenty. That's hardly me actually playing.

I wouldnt take this seriously, its probably all made up bullcrap since its coming out of Riots mouth. They make a sub par game for toxic players and then act like they are the reincarnation of jesus, the worst part is their fanboys are on the same level as eve players or GW2 fanboys, they would die and go to hell before criticising their game. Which is annoying because you cant even have a proper discussion on their forums without being downvoted and labled a hater.

Btw my smurf account I havent touched for about a year is still classed as an active account by Riot, so I dont doubt the numbers are warped.

infracted
    Last edited by Isrozzis; 2012-11-20 at 09:10 PM.

Out of curiosity, how do you know it's an active account when you don't log on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I wouldnt take this seriously, its probably all made up bullcrap since its coming out of Riots mouth. They make a sub par game for toxic players and then act like they are the reincarnation of jesus, the worst part is their fanboys are on the same level as eve players or GW2 fanboys, they would die and go to hell before criticising their game. Which is annoying because you cant even have a proper discussion on their forums without being downvoted and labled a hater.

Btw my smurf account I havent touched for about a year is still classed as an active account by Riot, so I dont doubt the numbers are warped.
    Maybe it's because you are very passive-aggressive?

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 11:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do you know it's an active account when you don't log on?
    Cos fuck Riot, right

Are they hot babes?

Sometimes I wonder if Riot launched a bigger marketing campaign, with commercials and whatnot, if LoL would receive an even bigger surge in popularity. They were advertising MoP during football games, obviously Blizzard's marketing team felt it was worth it to reach that audience lol. I think Riot would be smart to adopt a similar approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Are they hot babes?
    If you mean in DOTA, then yes, Valve has the same mindset that Riot has when it comes to designing female champions, along with the armored badass gal (Luna), and the female monster. (Broodmother)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if Riot launched a bigger marketing campaign, with commercials and whatnot, if LoL would receive an even bigger surge in popularity. They were advertising MoP during football games, obviously Blizzard's marketing team felt it was worth it to reach that audience lol. I think Riot would be smart to adopt a similar approach.
    I wouldn't want to imagine what they would put out for ads, as I fear that they'll resort to popular LoL memes (i.e. Dunkmaster Yi, BE A MAN with Xin Zhao, ...but i ate some oranges and it was k) to advertise.

Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

infracted
    Just because I am bored : http://majorleagueoflegends.s3.amazo...nfographic.png

Scroll down a bit and you will find a section where it has *Monthly Active Players*. The number of Monthly Active players being people who have logged in and/or played a game in the past month (hence active) is 32 million. The amount of players that log in per day is 12 million. More people log in, in just one day than there are playing WoW in a 4 month span. The biggest statistic making League of Legends the most played game in the world is based off the *Hours Played per Month* statistic, being ~1 billion.

Some math. Assuming 12 million people are logging in a day, and only do one match lasting ~40 minutes on average. Multiply this again by the number of days in a month (30-31). You get 14,880,000,000 minutes, or 248,000,000 hours. This means the average person would need to do 4 games (3 hours 40 minutes) a day to reach the number they speak of, which is entirely reasonable considering many people I know that play will average 5-6 hours of play a night, or 7-9 games (get off work at 6, play til midnight).

All in all, it is good to finally see at least a little recognition on this website. Always amazing how some people here manage to hate a company with at least 5 times the player base that actually outreaches to the community and makes Personal Relations an actual personal thing and not something they hire off people to deal with. Their PR is telling their employees to get on the forums and talk about what they want to talk about. Not to mention how far above and beyond LoL is going to try and make esports a real and socially accepted thing in America like it already is in east Asia.

I do wish I could understand why this game, and genre, is so popular. I usually understand why games and movies and whatnot are successful, even if I dislike them myself, but this is a total mystery to me. I would think it would be boring playing the same map and mode over and over, with no more than a few abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    All in all, it is good to finally see at least a little recognition on this website. Always amazing how some people here manage to hate a company with at least 5 times the player base that actually outreaches to the community and makes Personal Relations an actual personal thing and not something they hire off people to deal with. Their PR is telling their employees to get on the forums and talk about what they want to talk about. Not to mention how far above and beyond LoL is going to try and make esports a real and socially accepted thing in America like it already is in east Asia.
    Those people fear that if this game becomes as mainstream as WoW, they'll only keep $$$ in mind, and the game quality deteriorates as a result. People have said that Blizzard jumped the shark with how D3, SC2, and Mists were underwhelming. Same thing happened with The Sims series, now EA created an entire online store to sell content for the game sans to micro-transactions in MMOs. All because the producers made hit products and chose to milk the shit out of them for the $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I do wish I could understand why this game, and genre, is so popular. I usually understand why games and movies and whatnot are successful, even if I dislike them myself, but this is a total mystery to me. I would think it would be boring playing the same map and mode over and over, with no more than a few abilities.
    It's different tastes. Plus they made this game easy to get into compared to other games in the MOBA genre.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-11-28 at 05:00 AM.

Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

well, there are 106 (I think) champions out right now. So you have a lot more than just a few abilities lol. There are several different maps as well, just the professional circuit is all played on the 5v5 map as it is the overwhelmingly popular map, as well as the most balanced map. I don't really know how to explain why league is fun, but it is. (I might be biased in that opinion)

The game is free if you ever want to try it.

Give it a shot, it's a pretty quick download and is free. You might understand after you've played it for a bit. It's a very technical game/genre and while the map(s) is(are) important, it's moreso the interaction of players and their champions/heroes that keeps people hooked, in my opinion.

To some extent, the same as WoW/Blizzard products earlier on. It's extremely polished and gets the 'feel' right. It's free to play, drawing people in for a quick try. PvP action by definition will be more diverse than static games vs AI. Same as WoW arena doesn't get boring despite being in Nagrand for the bazillionth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    If you mean in DOTA, then yes, Valve has the same mindset that Riot has when it comes to designing female champions, along with the armored badass gal (Luna), and the female monster. (Broodmother)
    You misunderstood my post.

it was done before, but i think it was an older one coz it didnt have psy in it. anyway, when are they gonna compare to runescape.