Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Advice needed: KEYBOARDS

Advice needed: KEYBOARDS

I'm looking to get new keyboard, since I've been using good ol' HP standard keyboard for 3 years. I've seen some topics regarding normal vs mechanical keyboards but don't really find difference between those - apart from price. Can someone recommend me a good keyboard for MMO/FPS gaming, do prefer extra buttons and key for music/sound volume control.

Thanks in advance.
    World of Warcraft wiki
    http://wowwiki.com
    World of Warcraft database
    http://thottbot.comhttp://wowhead.comhttp://wow.allakhazam.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the Logitech G Series with a display.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Any of the Logitech G Series with a display.
    ^^. I love logitech.

Also, this is the reasons they are more expensive: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedscie...explained.mspx

Microsoft sidewinder, Great illuminated keyboard with macro key's and the usual volume etc.

great keyboard and very good price imo

Deleted
    Steelseries 6Gv2
    It's a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Black Switches. As for extra buttons there aren't any. For music you use the "windows" button and F1-6 to play/pause/next etc. I really like it and I've seen many others recommend it. Here's a guide for mechanical keyboards: www[dot]overclock[dot]net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Hi there,

I'd highly recommend the Corsair K90 Mechanical gaming keyboard. It's such a beautiful keyboard with Aluminium surface that looks stunning in the dark. It has 18 macro keys on the left side. It also features all the media controls, as well as an excellent wrist rest. The keyboard is also sporting the cherry MX red switches, which are considered to be one of the most popular switches for gamers.

Here's the catch, though; The macro keys, as well as F keys are all using rubber dome (none-mechanical). If that's fine for you, then you really can't go wrong with having this keyboard.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

I would get the Corsair K90 if you want mechanical, or the logitech G510 or G19.

Deleted
    Corsair K90 for Mechanical
    Microsoft sidewinder x4 or x6 for rubber dome

Currently using the x6 and it has lasted me well and it's built like a tank tho my other half is treating me to the K90 for x-mas

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference between them really needs to be felt, You can't glean everything you need about a keyboard from reading specs.

Another Microsoft Sidewinder X6 fan here by the way, so obviously it gets my vote, a seriously underrated keyboard that performs extremely well. While the Logitech G series is great, they are an awful lot of money for something so basic with a single "gimmick" that is over rated and under used.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-11-09 at 01:08 PM.

I've had a mechanical keyboard in the past. The Razer Black Widow Ultimate is amazing but like all mechanical keyboards they are far too noisy. I got use to the noise and did really like it but it annoys people in the same room as me and when it comes to typing up work or any coversation then it is irritating and I would often have to switch back to my old non-mechanical keyboard so in my opinion they are not worth it.

I would go for a Logitech keyboard such as the G110 or the newer G series one. Not sure if its a great deal better though since I haven't looked up into it.

I must say though that the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard looks very nice and cheap for what it is. I've read some good reviews about it and I may even end up buying it. I cannot decide between that and the G110 at the moment. Does anyone know is the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard have a USB or audio sockets in the back for a place to plug in my head phones? That would be very handy
    Last edited by MayronWoW; 2012-11-09 at 09:06 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its a massive waste of money buying any rubber dome keyboards these days. Mechanical keyboards come both cheap, and with far superior quality.
    The argument of them being noisy is partially true. However, switch type affects the noise, Cherry MX Blues which are the ones used in Black Widow Ultimate, have a tactile click response. Which means that they are MADE to make that noise. Cherry MX Blacks, Reds, and Browns do not have the click, Browns got the same tactile response, whilst red and black has a smooth ride all the way to the bottom, the difference between the two are how much pressure you need to apply to register a click.

Personally I prefer the Cherry MX reds, you can find these in the Corsair K90, Qpad MK50. I recommend them both, and they are in 2 different price ranges. The K90 have backlit keys, have macro buttons and an awsome finish. However not all the keys are mechanical, F1 and similar buttons not normally used that much are rubber dome. In the MK50 however all keys are mechanical, but this is a basic keyboard without backlight etc.

The Logitech ones are way to expensive when we take the build quality, comfort, and technology into consideration.

Deleted
    I can get a good membrane keyboard for 300 here in Sweden, with macro keys, while a good tenkeyless mechcanical goes for 800. For some people, spending more than 500 on a keyboard isn't justified and for those a membrane keyboard is totally valid.

As for the OP, I'd recommend to check out the following (mechanical):
    Ducky Shine
    CM Storm QuickFire
    QPad MK-series
    Corsair M60 (or M90)
    Filco
    Das Keyboard

Or simply go with a SideWinder x4 as per the above recommendations.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people here make a big fuss over Mechanical keyboards and how they are so much better, usually falling back on the "it lasts longer" I have to say though I have never owned a mechanical keyboard, nor have I ever had to replace a keyboard due to "hardware failure" my point is, I've always replaced my keyboards for some other reason longer before any degrading effects of using rubber domes has ever come into play.

So if you do decide to go mechanical, do it because you prefer the feel and responsiveness. Not because "it lasts longer" Because much like almost every other component in your computer system now, you are much more likely to replace it because it's obsolete old technology than because it's failed from general wear and tear.

In short, you need to find yourself a decent hardware store, (even a box mover like PC World or Buy) go in and test some keyboard for yourself to see if you like them or not.

Deleted
    I think the biggest strongpoint of a mechanical keyboard is the feel of the keys compared to a membrane.

On a membrane key switch, you have a flex rubber that 'gives in' after X amount of force, basically meaning that it forces you to bottom out every press.
    A mechanical has an actuation point half-way through the press, some switches with a bump that gives tactical feedback, meaning that you can type with less finger fatigue.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I think the biggest strongpoint of a mechanical keyboard is the feel of the keys compared to a membrane.

On a membrane key switch, you have a flex rubber that 'gives in' after X amount of force, basically meaning that it forces you to bottom out every press.
    A mechanical has an actuation point half-way through the press, some switches with a bump that gives tactical feedback, meaning that you can type with less finger fatigue.
    What about mechanical keyboards vs FPS gaming? Since I pretty much have to hold buttons like W/A/S/D quite often, will it ruin my gameplay because of it's sensitive technology ?

Also can someone explain me , why prices for keyboards are ridiculous high, even some classic looking keyboards costs so much that I could just buy 5£ keyboard and it would be probably identical. Do I really pay extra money only for brand too?
    World of Warcraft wiki
    http://wowwiki.com
    World of Warcraft database
    http://thottbot.comhttp://wowhead.comhttp://wow.allakhazam.com

Quote Originally Posted by K1boRG View Post
    What about mechanical keyboards vs FPS gaming? Since I pretty much have to hold buttons like W/A/S/D quite often, will it ruin my gameplay because of it's sensitive technology ?
    With mechanical keyboards you get a FEEDBACK or easier said it let's you know that you've pressed a button

Also can someone explain me , why prices for keyboards are ridiculous high, even some classic looking keyboards costs so much that I could just buy 5£ keyboard and it would be probably identical. Do I really pay extra money only for brand too?
    Hmm 4 years ago there was a Optimus maximus I think it was called which was costing exactly 1000eur.

Well I agree that the prices are ridiculous while they aren't anything special compared to cheap ass keyboards in my eyes. The only thing you get is different ergonomics, anti-ghosting function, leds and maybe a display which I don't see the point of it. Also with regular usb keyboards you only can press max at a time 6 keys while keyboards like Corsair K90 can go up to 24 max because they have 2 usb cables instead of 1. But who has 24 fingers..

Quote Originally Posted by K1boRG View Post
    If you don't get a bust corsair keyboard, they're not bad.

Logitech has generally been one of the best peripheral manufacturers, so i'd definitely look at them.

You'll have to get used to the sensitivity of the keyboard, but after that it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    while keyboards like Corsair K90 can go up to 24 max because they have 2 usb cables instead of 1. But who has 24 fingers..
    I'm fairly certain that the second usb cable only allows additional devices to be used with the actual keyboard (plugged into the keyboard, rather than having to stretch to the back of the PC).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Also with regular usb keyboards you only can press max at a time 6 keys while keyboards like Corsair K90 can go up to 24 max because they have 2 usb cables instead of 1. But who has 24 fingers..
    The K90 is supposed to have N-key rollover on the mechanical keys. The second USB cable is for the pass-through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    I'm fairly certain that the second usb cable only allows additional devices to be used with the actual keyboard (plugged into the keyboard, rather than having to stretch to the back of the PC).
    You are correct, on most keyboards with dual connections the USB one (or second USB one) only serves as a pass-through cable, or USB extension lead. Occasionaly it may serve as a small hub, allowing you to connect 2-4 USB connections into your keyboard with only 1 USB lead to your PC, this is a gimmick, and should never be a reason to buy any keyboard since it's exactly the same as a standard unpowered USB hub.

If blacks and red switches give in all the way to the bottom what makes them any more tactile than a normal keyboard? (actually just curious i'm just recently learning about the cherry switches)