Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Bought an agility 3, got problems with it only a few week(s) after I bought it.

Took some time to figure it out, but think it was old firmware, it's been working like a charm after that was fixed.

OCZ offer good customer support should you need it.

I remember Vertex 4 was notorious for being slower than Vertex 3, did they actually fix that? Otherwise Vertex 3 is still the better option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ethzero View Post
    I remember Vertex 4 was notorious for being slower than Vertex 3, did they actually fix that? Otherwise Vertex 3 is still the better option.
    splitting hairs, you are not going to notice the difference between 510MB/s and 545MB/s

I used a Vertex 3 for a 2 years, then gave it to my mother when I upgraded to a larger SSD... Never had any problems with it.

Deleted
    I got an OCZ Vertex 2 and have never had any issue with it at all (Had some issue with a Intel X25-M a while back though).
    Besides, SATA 2 handles 300 MB/s (3,0 Gbit/s with 8b/10b encoding).
    If your PC is "top notch", then perhaps "The best" is what you want, otherwise your bottleneck will probably be something else.

Most SSD Disks preforms well now if u ask me.
    But on the other hand, i'm not that well read on the subject of SSD performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilop View Post
    I got an OCZ Vertex 2 and have never had any issue with it at all (Had some issue with a Intel X25-M a while back though).
    Besides, SATA 2 handles 300 MB/s (3,0 Gbit/s with 8b/10b encoding).
    If your PC is "top notch", then perhaps "The best" is what you want, otherwise your bottleneck will probably be something else.

Most SSD Disks preforms well now if u ask me.
    But on the other hand, i'm not that well read on the subject of SSD performance.
    Vertex 2 is pre sandforce, it wasnt OCZ that was unreliable it was the sandforce controller which OCZ released first, thus making them the first people selling the fastest controller at the time, i.e more were sold with problems in a broad visualization of the sandforce controller. In acuallity the failure rate of all sandforce SSD's was pretty identical, just so happened OCZ may have sold 100x more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Vertex 2 is pre sandforce, it wasnt OCZ that was unreliable it was the sandforce controller which OCZ released first, thus making them the first people selling the fastest controller at the time, i.e more were sold with problems in a broad visualization of the sandforce controller. In acuallity the failure rate of all sandforce SSD's was pretty identical, just so happened OCZ may have sold 100x more of them.
    And then refused to deal with the customers that had bought a sandforce controlled SSD from them, unlike every other SSD manufacturer that sold SSDs with that controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    And then refused to deal with the customers that had bought a sandforce controlled SSD from them, unlike every other SSD manufacturer that sold SSDs with that controller.
    This I have seen go both ways quite honestly tho, Ive seen personally a friend get a Vertex 3 replaced so quickly w/o so much as a question as to why. On the same side I had a relative w/ a relatively short fuse get basically told we do not cover damage caused by the user. I frankly believe it has a lot to do w/ who and how you speak with the employee that answers and on how well their english is. On the other hand ive also seen people get asked a million questions by OCZ regarding a normal DOA return but it all ended well, even if not so timely. Not a really small company which makes QoS hit the shitter. Dell has same issues.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-11-09 at 04:06 PM.

Have a Vertex 4 256 Gig in my desktop and a 128 Gig in my Laptop. They were an excellent product when they came out and have only gotten better with firmware revisions, the benefit of having in-house firmware I suppose. I would highly recommend them.

Also have a Vertex 3 running Server 2008 R2 and some VMs. No issues there either. Been running 24/7, no crashes, for over a year now.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2012-11-09 at 04:44 PM.

Agility 3(120gb) has been working fine, no slowdowns or errors. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Vertex 2 uses a Sandforce controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Vertex 2 uses a Sandforce controller.
    But not the Sandforce controller that caused all the trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    But not the Sandforce controller that caused all the trouble
    Lol I hope you are not serious. The SF-12xx series had just as many if not more issues than SF-22xx.

Deleted
    Awesome, looks like OCZ's bad reputation is exaggerated today then. Something i'm still wondering about is the installation, is there any difference between getting a Samsung 830 and a OCZ Vertex 4 up and running? I've never used an SSD before but heard someone say there was a difference. In what way?

Well the current Sandforce controllers are fine. But OCZ failed sometimes with their poor firmware.

Honestly it doesn't matter how fast an ssd is but the main goal is reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Teks View Post
    Awesome, looks like OCZ's bad reputation is exaggerated today then. Something i'm still wondering about is the installation, is there any difference between getting a Samsung 830 and a OCZ Vertex 4 up and running? I've never used an SSD before but heard someone say there was a difference. In what way?
    Exaggerated or not I wouldn't buy an OCZ SSD unless it is really cheap atm. The company is sinking pretty fast...

I have a Vertex 3 I just bought a few months ago, used it for about 5-6 months now, and I've had zero problems with it. There's really nothing I can complain about. However...despite having no problems at all, when this one dies or I need to buy a 2nd one I'm gonna do some research and spend a little more money just for the hell of it really.

I really only bought this one because my local CompUSA had them for cheap. It seemed like the best option for a 128gb ssd for $100.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-11-09 at 11:45 PM.

2 x agility 3's in my computer in RAID 0, and a vertex 4 in my laptop...no problems, drives are unbelievably fast. Also my father uses an OCZ ssd also in his machine, no problems (forget the model)

Ive had Muskin Chronos and Kingston SSDs in the past year and both died. Switched to try they OCZ Agillity 3 drives and have had zero issues so far (6 months) There crazy fast as well compared to the other 2
    Does Warlock Stuffz

Vertex Turbos (yea, they are EoL), haven't had a single problem ever, they are both raided as well. Format roughly every month too. lol