Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,423
    I literally WTFed out loud when I installed windows 8. I want my damn start menu! I'm still not used too it.

  2. #22
    I was told that Microsoft has 2 primary development teams and that they've been alternating releases since Windows 98. This is why every other version of Windows is a pile of crap.

    98 - good
    ME - god awful
    XP - good
    Vista - god awful
    7 - good
    8 - ???

    Totally makes sense if there is any truth in it, though my favorite ad campaign was the one for Vista. If you don't remember, the entire ad campaign was "Vista, it's not as bad as they say it is!"

  3. #23
    Field Marshal Mouzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    My brain cannot comprehend how anyone could hate the Metro UI.

    A) You don't HAVE to use it

    B) Metro is fucking awesome
    This is so true!

    Even if you 'hate' Windows 8 I just can't understand why you would uninstall it, just hit the desktop button and you're back to a faster, cleaner version of Windows 7!

    I'm running it at 2560 x 1440 and have no FPS issues whatsoever in any games, even when they are running with multiple applications in the background.

  4. #24
    Mechagnome Dragore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    677
    People can't handle change. It may need some work but I salute Microsoft trying to change the old outdated user interface.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    My brain cannot comprehend how anyone could hate the Metro UI.

    A) You don't HAVE to use it

    B) Metro is fucking awesome
    It's a flashy gimmick that looks cool for casual use. It's useless for what the desktop is good for, productivity.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    @OP: Every reasonable person has had ample warning that Windows 8 suck for PC gamers. At overclock.net, there is currently a thirty page thread or so, wherein PC gamers say they won't buy or upgrade to Windows 8 and will stick with WIndows 7.

    Even completely clueless people (e.g. my grandmother) must have eventually suspected that there is good reason that people willing to spend thousands of dollars on PC equipment just to gain 2 FPS, are saying that Windows 8 is garbage and spending one's money on it is a ripoff.
    Most of what was spread about Windows 8 being bad for gaming was false and based off a beta client that was patched afterwards. Considering my gaming experience has not been hindered at ALL, in fact IMPROVED UPON by swapping to Windows 8 from 7 means something.
    Senior Officer of the FFXIV:ARR chapter of the Philanthropy Gaming community. Come say hello!

  7. #27
    I've been running Win8 Pro for about 2 months now because Dreamspark allowed us to get it early. Its faster and a lot more stable than Win 7. Most people who don't like it don't understand that that the Start screen is the old start button and optional except at launch. It takes on click after you login to get to the desktop. The old menu for the start button is still there too. Move your mouse to the bottom left corner and right click, your start button goodies like run, search, cmd are all still there.

    Win handles systems resources beautifully and its task manager is great.

    I've only had two BSOD because my laptop have two graphics cards and I caused a bug between the two. But even the crashes are better. The cause of the crash is spelled out for you without having to know how to decided it. The Error handling is amazing.

    I recommend everyone with Win7 to take advantage of the upgrade discount of $30. I'm even starting to play with the app store. I can load Netflix without opening a browser.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    People can't handle change. It may need some work but I salute Microsoft trying to change the old outdated user interface.
    Change isn't always good. They replaced the start menu with a flashier full screen start menu. Yeah, brilliant innovation that totally solve the supposed problem that people don't use the start menu. I used to use the Start Menu all the time (apparently, I'm in the minority) and this change completely puts me off. I find it a lot more convenient to just navigate to my program files folder (well, drive, but yeah).
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-11-09 at 01:53 AM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    It's a flashy gimmick that looks cool for casual use. It's useless for what the desktop is good for, productivity.
    I think the problem is that they sell it like you have to use it when you don't have to use it at all. There are already several ways to completely bypass it.

  10. #30
    High Overlord Dermot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Trapdoor
    Posts
    179
    The only reason I would buy it is for the performance improvements and they seem to be minimal at best. As such, it doesn't really seem to be worth the $40 for the upgrade. It's also best to avoid buying new versions of Windows until they release a service pack or two as they are generally shaky on release.

  11. #31
    I am Murloc! Rorcanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    5,566
    Never tried it, why change something that works so well? Win 7 to me is perfect.

  12. #32
    Windows 8 is far better in my opinion. But it NEEDS a start menu like Start8 or to get a default one in the first service pack.

    I could write somewhat of a wall to say why I like it more but I can't be arsed because people are just ignoring it and saying it is shit without testing it really.
    It only needs a start menu and so that you log into the desktop and not the metro ui, which Start8 does for me.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

    Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

    Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I think the problem is that they sell it like you have to use it when you don't have to use it at all. There are already several ways to completely bypass it.
    That's not a problem. The problem is that without Metro, and all you have is a patched Windows 7 with the Start Menu removed.

    I mean, doesn't matter to me exactly since I didn't pay for mine, but I completely sympathise with people's annoyance that Microsoft is pushing a new product that 1) you have to work at it to make it subjectively good, and 2) once you did that, it's just a slightly different version of what you already have.

    I also personally detest the way they "integrated" (using the word in its loosest possible sense) metro with windows7.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-11-09 at 02:01 AM.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    Say what? I don't use Windows 8 at all and haven't even looked at it but from everything I've seen heard (even from MS themselves) is that it's geared towards tablets, especially hardware controlled by MS. You know, exactly what Apple has been doing for 5 years since the first iPhone (and their proprietary hardware thing goes back to the 70s).
    I wouldn't say its geared towards tablets but its extremely tablet friendly. One OS for tablets and desktops. And because more and more people have a desktop at home and a tablet for when they are out, they've added a lot of cloud based (non intrusive) features into the OS. If I had a tablet or Windows phone, I could see it being very convenient.

  15. #35
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Change isn't always good. They replaced the start menu with a flashier full screen start menu. Yeah, brilliant innovation that totally solve the supposed problem that people don't use the start menu. I used to use the Start Menu all the time (apparently, I'm in the minority) and this change completely puts me off. I find it a lot more convenient to just navigate to my program files folder (well, drive, but yeah).
    Because it's hard customizing it, right?
    i5-4670k 4.2GHz | AMD R9 280x | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 256GB 840 EVO | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Steelseries Rival | Schiit Stack w/ BeyerDynamic DT 990

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Because it's hard customizing it, right?
    This affects what I said, how?

  17. #37
    Every single thing people are talking about with Windows 8 is about the UI. Anyone else remember a time when Microsoft made OSes?

    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    You are just slow at adapting to new things.
    It was released a few weeks ago... I'd say you're way too fast at adapting to new things!

    I'm still using XP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It was released a few weeks ago... I'd say you're way too fast at adapting to new things!

    I'm still using XP!
    Eh, some of us have been using it for months. But XP is soooooo ancient...

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That's not a problem. The problem is that without Metro, and all you have is a patched Windows 7 with the Start Menu removed.

    I mean, doesn't matter to me exactly since I didn't pay for mine, but I completely sympathise with people's annoyance that Microsoft is pushing a new product that 1) you have to work at it to make it subjectively good, and 2) once you did that, it's just a slightly different version of what you already have.

    I also personally detest the way they "integrated" (using the word in its loosest possible sense) metro with windows7.
    I see your point. If you are on 7 without problems, stay with 7. In my case I was due for an upgrade anyway so I could be biased.But if you're getting a new PC I don't a reason to stay with 7. The transition between the two is smooth.

  20. #40
    Keyboard Turner Harshmage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexitor View Post
    98 - good
    Nope. Security wise, for an enterprise deployment, 98 was absolutely unreliable. 2000 was much better, and should have been used from the start.

    I'm currently working on a way to deploy Win8 to about 3,000 computers on a college campus, where there are absolutely no touch screens. Right now, it's not looking too bad, mostly because of the additional security control layers. Profiles are odd, but we'll get a handle on those soon enough.

    For those interested in regaining the Start Menu, I wrote a personal review of 6 different apps that are proper replacements. Google my username and hit my website for details.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •