Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Scared in my own house

I made a topic about 2 years ago that my house was making strange noises, or atleast SOMETHING in my house. This is my situation

- Bakery 3 houses away from me
    - I have seen a little mouse running in my bathroom about 4 years ago, and saw one in a flowerpot outside my house 2 years ago
    - I can hear something bite on wood, bite on the bottom of my fridge and bite in my walls
    - I used to hear then walk over my ceiling, but since a year or so they have been dead quiet

I layed traps, even food on the ground so I could know that there was atleast someone taking something so I had confirmation that there is something living here. I am affraid to sleep at this moment because the noises from under my fridge became so loud my neighbours could even hear it.

I can hear it even if I'm just sitting behind my PC ( which is tucked away in a corner ) and they don't hesistate to make noise when I'm in my bedroom. I once heard a noise coming from under my fridge so I decided to check it out. I pulled it away but nothing to be seen.

I am just freaking scared something is in this house. To make it even worse I have to pay for the damage they do, wether it be between walls or outside of it. I don't know what to do. I was thinking about an exterminator, but what is there to exterminate when I don't know what's causing me all this trouble?

Try different traps with different (more appealing) bait, look up different home extermination methods online, get a cat maybe. Are you afraid of mice in the phobia sense or are you just worried about the damages?

Call an exterminator that deals with rodents/mammals/etc. They can probably figure it out quickly.

My mom had a similar thing going on for a long time and finally hired someone and it was squirrels.

This very much seems like a situation where a phobia is driving this fear rather than anything rational.

Deleted
    I'm not affraid of the mice that live here, I have peace with them. I just don't get any kind of sleep as the noises are so loud it's waking me up each night. And yes I am worried about the damages. The cat would be a great idea, even tough I am allergic I would love to have one. Sadly my landlord declines pet invitations to my home even for a day.

I am certainly sure they're not squirrels, but more sure of mice. My mom always claimed that it was because of me letting food linger around my kitchen, but I haven't missed any food yet. Besides, there is a bakery 3 houses away from mine and they have probably the largest food supply in the whole street.

Even now I can hear something chewing or biting, and it's freaking me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This very much seems like a situation where a phobia is driving this fear rather than anything rational.
    It has nothing to do with phobia. It has something to do with something beeing in my house. And I don't like a single bit of it
    Last edited by mmoc80711df9dc; 2012-11-09 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exterminator. Call one.

Best case? It's mice or some other critter calling your walls home.

Worst case? Well....there could be things in there man simply wasn't meant to see. Remember, animals, cute and cuddly or not, are bearers of pestilence and disease. Insects, mold, ect... Where scavenger animals like mice and rats go, these things go too.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try peanut butter as bait, works like a charm.

Definitely call an exterminator. If there's a mouse (or mice) living in your walls, then they are pooping in your walls, and the poop produces ammonium-hydroxide which will slowly break down some of the materials in your wall, not to mention they could be harboring deadly diseases and bacteria.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandises View Post
    The cat would be a great idea, even tough I am allergic I would love to have one. Sadly my landlord declines pet invitations to my home even for a day.
    Don't be concerned about being allergic to cats. You're allergic to the spittle they leave on their fur when they self-clean, and you'd get over it within a couple of weeks. I used to be badly allergic, but have 2 cats now and no issues Shame the landlord says no pets though. Maybe you should get the landlord to arrange the removal of the pests in your apartment?

I am a very light sleeper and had issues getting asleep and staying asleep until I started to wear my motorbike earplugs to bed. They are a memory foam style and quite comfortable once in place. Maybe you could try this in the short-term?

Well hopefully you realized there have been insects and all kinds of creatures in your house before. I don't see why this is different unless it is predicated on a phobia.

Have you considered... aliens?
    Research on the internet has shown that extraterestrials like to hide under fridges, or other heavy objects in and around the house.

Seriously though, just call an exterminator. His bill is going to be lower than the repair bill if mammals destroy wooden parts of your house.

I wouldn't worry.

There's a decent chance it's nothing that will burrow it's way into your flesh while you sleep. Or while you're awake.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    When theres something strange in the neighborhood. whats you gonna do? Ghost busters!

Deleted
    I have kept rats as pets for many years, heres the foods that attract them most....

Noodles, beans, jam, peanut butter, kebabs, curry. Try in that order.

You can also try chocolate, i read it's amazing to catch rodents.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you have a landlord, it's his job... Tell him about the problem, if he doesn't act call the cities pest control dept. usually health department.
    They come and check. They will likely know how to tackle the issue.

Just one tip. Don't lay down poisoned food traps. They will take it, they will bring it to their nests. And the stuff works. But you end up with dead critters in the walls, and they can create a brutal smell. Can be as worse that you start to wish they were still alive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    You can also try chocolate, i read it's amazing to catch rodents.
    chocolate is ok, but theres much better alternatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    I came in here ready to give my scared-in-my-apartment advice which is: put a couple of chairs in front of your front door. That way when someone tries to break in they'll make a lot of noise and possibly fall and trip over the chairs.

But that seems like horrible advice for your sitatuion so I'm a little beside myself atm. I'm going to have mull this one over...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandises View Post
    I made a topic about 2 years ago that my house was making strange noises, or atleast SOMETHING in my house. This is my situation

- Bakery 3 houses away from me
    - I have seen a little mouse running in my bathroom about 4 years ago, and saw one in a flowerpot outside my house 2 years ago
    - I can hear something bite on wood, bite on the bottom of my fridge and bite in my walls
    - I used to hear then walk over my ceiling, but since a year or so they have been dead quiet

I layed traps, even food on the ground so I could know that there was atleast someone taking something so I had confirmation that there is something living here. I am affraid to sleep at this moment because the noises from under my fridge became so loud my neighbours could even hear it.

I can hear it even if I'm just sitting behind my PC ( which is tucked away in a corner ) and they don't hesistate to make noise when I'm in my bedroom. I once heard a noise coming from under my fridge so I decided to check it out. I pulled it away but nothing to be seen.

I am just freaking scared something is in this house. To make it even worse I have to pay for the damage they do, wether it be between walls or outside of it. I don't know what to do. I was thinking about an exterminator, but what is there to exterminate when I don't know what's causing me all this trouble?
    This may sound a bit silly, and i've highlighted the pertinent bits, but have you considered that you have a rodent issue? That would explain all those strange noises and the feeling that something is living in the house with you. Often the simplest answer is the right one!

10+ Year Old Account
    The best mousetrap bait I've ever used was a mix of 50% peanut butter to 50% bacon grease. Rodents love it. Works for rats, mice, squirrels, you name it. I even caught my neighbors cat once in a hav-a-hart I had set up with that mix to catch some squirrels that were getting into my attic. Also rodents can be tricky and get in in less than obvious ways. those same squirrels got into my attic by entering my crawlspace and climbing up the side of my plumbing vent pipe.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus