Page 1 of 2
LastLast

mind spike, what is it for?

i read the guide it mentioned to use it sometimes, but never said when. is it part of the rotation or not?

When you use the talent "From Darkness Comes Light" and you have a "Surge Of Darkness" proc or if an add needs to die really fast (see Elgelon sparks).
    Hi Sephurik

If you take the talent From Darkness Comes Light, you use it when it procs as it won't consume your dots, otherwise not. Or possibly if you need to single target some small adds that will die really fast, then you spam it.

*EDIT*

Yeah what he said :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has also (rarely) been relevant in the past as a way to intentionally turn off your DoTs. A specific example: one of the big adds on Spine of Deathwing is very low, but doesn't yet have its 9 stacks. The Mind Spike will likely deal less damage than the remaining DoT ticks.

Generally use it for mobs that die quick.

Mostly, it is an antiquated holdover from Cataclysm, typically of bad priest design. It was originally designed for two purposes; to kill low HP adds without having to waste time doting them up first, and b) for Shadow priests to have something to cast in pvp when locked out of Shadow.

A) Was never really well thought out, as the same purpose could easily have been fulfilled with Mind Flay. As for B), it never worked in Cataclysm (deemed too powerful, ironically) and barely works in Mists, except for FDCL, which was designed around it.

it's pretty useful for short burst, i spam mind spike/mind blast on the elegon energy charges and they die with enough time for me to help the fire mage beside me.

Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    Mostly, it is an antiquated holdover from Cataclysm, typically of bad priest design. It was originally designed for two purposes; to kill low HP adds without having to waste time doting them up first, and b) for Shadow priests to have something to cast in pvp when locked out of Shadow.

A) Was never really well thought out, as the same purpose could easily have been fulfilled with Mind Flay. As for B), it never worked in Cataclysm (deemed too powerful, ironically) and barely works in Mists, except for FDCL, which was designed around it.
    This sums it up. The reasons blizzard implemented mind spike in the first place and they ended up contradicting it making it basically useless.

Deleted
    You shouldn't have mind spike on your bars except if you have FDCL talented, except in the rare case of killing totems of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    You shouldn't have mind spike on your bars except if you have FDCL talented, except in the rare case of killing totems of course.
    Ehm what? You cast it when you are locked out of shadow in pvp, or when you need a quick burst, or when you know the mage you are facing is going to block all your dots off anyway. You also use it to burst low HP adds in PvE.

Mind Spike talent proc is worth it, could be used when running, killing small mobs fast, or at least when your Mind Blast are on cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post
    Ehm what? You cast it when you are locked out of shadow in pvp, or when you need a quick burst, or when you know the mage you are facing is going to block all your dots off anyway. You also use it to burst low HP adds in PvE.
    Yeah.... no. Would have worked in Cataclysm, but not now when mind flay has the same DPET (and scales with mastery even?).

And when you're locked in school you are better off letting your dots continue to run and spend your gcds elsewhere on dispels/renew/pw:sheild/pom/mind spike and mind blast procs. If you are switching to a new target where your dots aren't running you are better off stripping the target for buffs to set up burst once you aren't locked anymore.

Anyways, school locked happens much less with 15 second interrupts and blanket gag order silence, so chances are that you will be hardcasting mind spike in 0,0001% of the times in pvp.

Deleted
    Yeah.... no. Would have worked in Cataclysm, but not now when mind flay has the same DPET (and scales with mastery even?).

And when you're locked in school you are better off letting your dots continue to run and spend your gcds elsewhere on dispels/renew/pw:sheild/pom/mind spike and mind blast procs. If you are switching to a new target where your dots aren't running you are better off stripping the target for buffs to set up burst once you aren't locked anymore.

Anyways, school locked happens much less with 15 second interrupts and blanket gag order silence, so chances are that you will be hardcasting mind spike in 0,0001% of the times in pvp.
    I see you have 0 clue about pvp. But just take that mind spike off your bar, that will make you a better priest for sure

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post
    I see you have 0 clue about pvp. But just take that mind spike off your bar, that will make you a better priest for sure
    Just be honest and say that you haven't pvp'ed any competetively in this new season. As said before, the only time I've been hardcasting mind spike in PvP was to kill totems/banner.

Anyways, why would I put mind spike off my bars when I have FDCL talented.

Elegon Sparks.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

To be completely honest, since I pvp as Discipline, I don't know if Mind Flay kills totems. I remember that it was for a long time mechanically a DoT, and you can't DoT totems.

Mind Flay, mechanic wise, still counts as a DoT, and therefore totems are immune to it.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Deleted
    Mind spike spell damage seems to scale better than MF, but I'm not sure how much mastery reduces that advantage.

If you're locked in school how are you going to cast mind blast procs?

Quote Originally Posted by mcbeefy View Post
    it's pretty useful for short burst, i spam mind spike/mind blast on the elegon energy charges and they die with enough time for me to help the fire mage beside me.
    I use it for the same reason. I love having 3 orbs up and mind spike procs that I can use with a mind blast (if needed). The add just seems to melt as soon as it appears, leaving time for me to help the person next to me. It is necessary for the energy charges because I don't think it would die just going through a normal rotation on it